language trouble or culture

Sep 9th, 2001, 09:45 PM
charlie

language trouble or culture

I put my articles on fodors travel talk europe as a theme of send me travel journal.

Lots of people advise me that I should suggest a right meaning since some language and cultural barriage will protect real communication.
Thank you for all the concern and attention.
I agree with this.

But I would like to know about facts that how could I pass through language or cultural problems in the shortest time.

I once studied in USA and now live in Korea.

what is my next step?
I'm serious and don't be kidding.

Thanks for the all the help in advance.

Sep 10th, 2001, 12:47 AM
Ben Haines

I expect the trouble is linguistic, not cultural. So all you need to do is enrol on a course of evening classes in English, suited to you at your level -- not a class for beginners. If you can't do that you could subscribe on satellite or cable tv to progtrammes in English, biut that's a slower way of bettering your English

Ben Haines, London

Sep 10th, 2001, 07:32 PM
Judy

With many newpapers on line, I find it is very helpful to read as much as possible to be familiar with all kinds of current issues and expressions. Languages are alive and changing constantly, many language textbooks fail to capture the nuances of different words,tones and expressions. Even after 10 years with English as the tool of daily functions,I still make dreadful mistakes quite often.

Listening to discussing programes in radio or Tv constantly helps a lot too.

Sep 10th, 2001, 08:52 PM
charlie

Judy:
Thank you for your advise.
Very helpful to me.

Sep 10th, 2001, 09:53 PM
kalena

Aloha Charlie. Many people of Korean extraction have settled in Hawaii, with the first wave of Korean familes recently celebrating their first centennial in Hawaii. And we continue to have many more of your countrymen and women move to Hawaii. Hawaii No Ka Oi!

My favorite fish market is owned by a wonderful Korean family who first moved to New York, and came to Hawaii twelve years ago.

Where did you spend your time in the U.S.? You might just want to consider visiting Hawaii to brush up on your language skills. You would find it very comfortable here.

Kalena