Reload this Page >

Lake District in October?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 11:40 PM
marie

Hi ! <BR>Need help with 2nd honeymoon to Lakes District -- is this a good time or should we postpone for Spring ?? also need a fabulous hotel(s) and as always your favorite restaurants <BR> <BR>thanks so much <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 03:13 AM
JOdy

Hi Marie, <BR>We've been to the Lakes district twice in mid to late october and it was lovely. Even last year when it was raining and flooding so badly , we only had 1 day of brief showers.cool and bright , lovely colors in the trees and not too crowded, at least during the week. <BR>The firsttime we went , years ago, we stay at Sharrow Bay Country HOuse Hotel , Ullswater. This hotel is extraordinary, the prototype for the country house hotel concept in UK. Everything abut it was superior , wanted to stay there again but it's now out of my price range, something like $500.00 a night!Look at their website anyway , just for fun. The food is sensational, and non-residents can use the restaurant or just do tea there, Amazing! <BR>last October we stayed at Miller Howe in windermere, another really lovely country house with excellent chef and cellar.Luxury rooms, Buck's fizz at the bottom of the stairs for breakfast and a FULL eng breakfast, every thing from kippers on! Lovely lounges where you are served hors d'oeuvres with your predinner drink and choose your dinner selection.Extremely helpful staff and Charles garside the owner is a most welcoming host. It too is open for dinner to non-residents. The price as I recall was about 175.00, that included breakfast , tea and dinner. A real bargain in my opinion. <BR>Miller Howe also has the most beautiful view of lake windermere from the dining room windows. They too have a website

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 05:51 AM
Annette

Hi there, <BR>I spent my first honey moon in the Lake district at the end of October 11 years ago and it was wonderful. We stayed at The Sharrow Bay also.. It is superb, but they may well be fully booked as we booked in Jan for a week in Oct. Miller Howe also excellent, wonderful views. Even if you can't get in to the Sharrow bay, it may well be worth visiting for Dinner or Afternoon Tea (Superb) Reservations essential. <BR>We were very lucky with the weather when we went cold bu sunny and not too many people. If you want quiet, avoid Windermere. Buttermere and Thirlmere very beautiful. <BR>The Cumbrian Tourist board would be able to help with accomadation. Have a wonderful trip. !

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 07:00 AM
sylvia

Yes, I'd go in October. The Lake District is far too crowded at the height of the season, best to go when there's an R in the month. You can sometimes get beautiful weather in October, can't promise though.

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 12:29 PM
Linda

Assuming you mean English Lake District, instead of Italian?

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 03:22 PM
Ben

Agree with all the comments about Sharrow Bay. Finest place to stay in England. If you can't get a reservation, or if it is not within your budget, try the Leeming House. It is also on Ullswater Lake. It is another very lovely hotel with a great dining room.

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 03:32 PM
xxx

Sharrow Bay rooms with bath run from $200 - $300 per night. Restaurant is first class dining. Leeming House is slightly less.