Search

Lake District

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lake District

Hello.

I'm looking for suggestions of where to spend time in the Lake District. I'm interested in scenic views, mild to moderately difficult hikes, the not-so-touristy part, good food, and where I can find accommodation for up to 20-40 pounds. Suggestions? I will be spending 2 nights and 3 days in the area.

Thanks,

gtrekker2003
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 06:47 PM
P_M

topping for gtrekker2003.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 04:01 AM

Will you have a car? That will make a difference to where's best to stay. We stayed in the (newly built) Travelodge at Cockermouth in the Northern Lakes for 29 GBP per night. Excellent value but you would need a car to get around.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 04:44 AM

In September we spent 3 nights at the Buckle Yeat Guest House in Near Sawrey, which is close to Hawkshead. The area is extremely beautiful and I think there are some lovely walks (we saw quite a few walkers). Buckle Yeat was GBP37.50pppn for an en suite twin room, which might be too much for you. You did not say whether you are traveling alone or with someone and you did not say whether or not you would have a car. If your 20 - 40 pounds is meant to cover 2 people, you might be hard-pressed to find something. I suggest you give TripAdvisor a try.

If you click on my name you will find my trip report. If you scroll down in the report, you will find a link to my pictures of the area.

When are you looking to go?
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 06:25 AM

Keswick is a good choice. The Lake District National Park has a wonderful visitor centre there in the heart of the main shopping and historical area. The town has some interesting history as a slate mining centre. Keswick is right on Derwentwater with some great views and hillwalks. Castlerigg, a stone circle site, is one interesting nearby walk. Footpath Holidays (footpath-holidays.com) leads guided and self-guided walks in the Lake District.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 06:50 AM

Regarding accommodation cost for a B&B, going solo, you should be able to get a single person rate for around 35/40 pounds. If a couple figure 40/70 per night.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 08:02 AM

From Windermere - the railhead of the Lake District as also like Keswick a swell town carpeted by cozy B&Bs in old stone cottages there is a nice easy enough walk

walk or bus the mile down to the Lake if your accommodation is not on it and take the unique chain ferry across

on the other side take a footpath that is a bit steep at first and then only about a mile to Hill-Top, Beatrix Potter's old home and garden - where you will be looking for Peter Rabbit lurking about - you can walk onto to Conniston Water and the main town on it and take a bus back to Windermere.
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 07:43 AM

We loved walking up the hill to Castlerigg. Although the stones are not as tall as Stonehenge, you can walk amoung them, it's not too crowded and the views are stupendous.

If you are familiar with operating a small motorboat, you can get a different perspective with an hour boat rental on Lake Windemere.
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 08:12 AM

I stayed in Keswick in June. The streets are lined with hotels and guest houses, and there are lots of pubs and restaurants.
The Railway station for the northern lakes is Penrith which has direct trains from London Euston. There are buses from Penrith station to Keswick. Local buses from Keswick go to Glenridding, Windermere, etc.
I had a good walk alongside Ullswater from Glenridding to Howtown, returning by boat, and walked from Keswick to Castlerigg. There's also a good scenic walk from Keswick along the old railway line which has been turned into a cycle/footpath.
In Keswick bus station, I overheard two ladies talking, and one asked the other, "did you have a good lambing?" - that's something you never hear where I live in London.
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 12:42 PM

Keswick also has a Pencil Museum - write that down - has some very graphite exhibits - erase all thoughts of a boring museum when hearing about it.
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 02:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi gtrekker,

you shouldn't need a car in the lake district. A. Wainwright did all of his trips by public transport.

personally I prefer the northern lakes, and IMHO Keswick would be a good place to start.

when are you going?

regards, ann