Search

Lake District

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2003, 12:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lake District

We would like to visit lake district at UK on Sept. In addition, we want to join local tour since go with my son (he only 3 & 1.5 years old). Anyone can suggest where is the best district and good agent to here.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 03:13 AM
Sylvia

I've never been on a Lake District tour but you could have a look at Http://www.lakes-pages.co.uk/

http://www.bluebadgertours.com/

We rather like Keswick as a place to stay. If you go into the visitor centre they'll give you information about tours and local attractions.

The best way to see the Lake District is to get off the beaten track and walk. If your son is not too heavy perhaps you could carry him in a backpack.

Old Aug 19th, 2003, 04:32 AM

I took a couple of day tours with this company a few years ago:
http://www.mountain-goat.com/

They use 15 passenger minibuses rather than large tour buses.

MountainGoat Tours is based in Windermere, which can be reached by rail.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 06:30 AM

I second the recommendation for Mountain Goat. The mini-buses are able to go up the steepest passes, and the guides are excellent. I believe they have offices in Keswick as well as Windermere, and they will pick you up from your hotel.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 08:02 AM

Windermere would be a good place to base yourselves. It's easily reached by train from London Euston, take the Carlisle train and change at Oxenholme.Your small son would enjoy the steamer boat on the Lake & there's also a miniature railway that connects with the Lake. The Mountain Goat mini-buses have a base in Windermere- they tour most of the main places in the Southern Lakes. A beautiful 19th century house to visit is: Blackwell www.blackwell.org
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 03:32 AM

I just read about something in the Lake District that you and your son might enjoy:

Muncaster Castle (supposedly haunted) and the Owl Centre (home to the World Owl Trust) that is housed on the castle grounds.

http://www.muncaster.co.uk/index.htm
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 11:34 AM

I like the northern lakes region towards Keswick better than the more commerical Windemere area.

While you are in the Lake District, be sure to take your son to Beatrix Potter's Hill Top Farm, site of many of the famous Peter Rabbit adventures. There are more commercial (there's that word again!) Beatrix Potter sights, but this is the real thing.

Let your son acquire a taste for real gingerbread at the tiny Sarah Nelson bakery in Grasmere. As others have mentioned, a boat cruise on a lake is fun. There are restored old lake steamers as well as more modern touring boats.

Also, don't miss the Castlerigg Stone Circle, near Keswick. This is just one of many stone circles in the UK, but the setting for Castlerigg is perhaps the most dramatic anywhere.

Sorry that I have no recommendations on tour agencies specializing in this area.

Much of the Lake District is a national park, and the National Trust administers many sights and beauty areas. You may want to look through the National Trust website for more information:

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk

Have a good trip.

David White
[email protected]
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 12:52 PM

I loved the gingerbread at Grasmere and bought a small book that has a recipe for it, but mine doesn't taste anything like the original. Does anyone know how to make the real thing?
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 12:54 PM

The view from the Castlerigg Stone Circle (and on the way up) is great in good weather. From memory though, it's on the top of a fair hill (not that high, just quite steep) and there was no road access that I saw when I walked the area - is there a road on a side I may have missed? (I'm thinking of the 3 and 1.5 yr old) Also the route we took was quite muddy in places (maybe we were lost........)
If you're into walking (or pushing along the flat anyway), there are some nice paths out along and around the side of the lake from Keswick.
Take your waterproofs - the weather may be great for you, but it isn't called the lake district for nothing and where do you think they get all the water!
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 11:54 PM

How are you getting to the Lake District, and where from? If from London, go to www.virgin.com and click on trains for book-ahead tickets. You can collect them from the counter at the station or a special machine.
FYI, book ahead up to 3 months. 2nd class is fine. If you want to come back, book a 'return'. Avoid weekends and public holidays to keep the prices down. Trains leave from London Euston.
Try also www.thetrainline.com - you can phone them and ask about child reductions. Lake Districk also accessible from Manchester, Yorkshire, Scotland etc. via rail.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 11:05 AM

Matthew,

There is a small, but paved, country road leading up the hill to Castlerigg Stone Circle. Park along the side of this road, walk through the stile/fence gate, and across a fairly level sheep pasture to the circle. Should not be a problem for children...except for the "sheep poop" ;-)

Dave White
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 12:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all of you - It is a great information to me. We may be join the tour of mountain-goat's Classic Adventure Tour of West Cumbria.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 02:25 AM

Enjoy your trip!
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 02:34 AM

I don't think you'll regret booking with Mountain Goat. I forgot to mention that there are lots of stops, including at some very nice restaurants and tearooms. So your son won't be cooped up in the mini-bus all day.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 08:39 AM

Try and get to Keswick is a dream. Train to Penrith then a Bus every 30 or so mins to the town. It's a good place for kids see www.edwardenehotel.com for info on the town I found it very useful.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 01:17 PM

Namlo, have you noticed that you are replying to some very old messages???
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 04:28 AM

FYI, we are going in Sept too, and are staying at the Applegarth Hotel in Windemere, then proceding onto Hadrian's Wall. When are you going? Judy
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 04:29 AM

Thanks bettyk, I did not realize that! Better have another cup of coffee!! ;-)
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 12:15 PM

My wife and I plan to visit lake district in March 06. The feedback and information given by Sylvia, drsawyers, cluny, bellini ........... are of great help to us. Thank you tulip66 for posting the subject. Could those with update infor/data, please give us some advice?
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 01:56 PM

I've never taken a tour, I've always rented a car . . . The Lake District may be my favorite part of the UK, particularly the area around Coniston and Hawkshead, Grasmere and Ambleside, Ullswater . . . The drive over the pass to Buttermere . . . and ahhhh the Pencil Museum in Keswick.