Lake Como or Positano for 3 nights?

Old Oct 28th, 1999, 12:47 PM
Jane

Lake Como or Positano for 3 nights?

I have planned a trip from Venice-Florence-Positano in May, but now I'm wondering if Lake Como might be a better third leg. A friend who has been to both Positano and Como thought Como was better (Positano & Amalfi coast being too much of a hassle for driving). However, we won't be driving.

What's your opinion? What are the comparative merits or detractions? I guess I can't lose with these two incredible destinations, but I thought I might start a spirited debate!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Old Oct 28th, 1999, 01:20 PM
Carol

Hi Jane:

Try this--think in terms of space. Positano and Amalfi are vertical experiences. They're built into the cliffs overlooking the beach. It's a very lush, exuberant, almost tropical part of Italy and really gorgeous. The lakes are a horizontal experience, even though they're close to the Alps--the sense of space and spaciousness is very different--villas and gardens and ferries on the lakes. Serene and elegant. However, the little lakeside towns are charming and, well, Italian. Look at some stock photos or coffee table books and see which place captures your imagination this time. I think it's a really subjective decision.

I've been to both areas and really love them. Hope this helps.

Old Oct 28th, 1999, 01:21 PM
Carol

Hi Jane:

Try this--think in terms of space. Positano and Amalfi are vertical experiences. They're built into the cliffs overlooking the beach. It's a very lush, exuberant, almost tropical part of Italy and really gorgeous. The lakes are a horizontal experience, even though they're close to the Alps--the sense of space and spaciousness is very different--villas and gardens and ferries on the lakes. Serene and elegant. However, the little lakeside towns are charming and, well, Italian. Look at some stock photos or coffee table books and see which place captures your imagination this time. I think it's a really subjective decision.

I've been to both areas and really love them. Hope this helps.

Old Oct 28th, 1999, 03:12 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Jane, Think geographically. The Venice,
Florence, Como triangle makes good sense
and will be easy to travel. Positano is
a long way--but it also depends where
you will ingress and egress. I would do
the north route and fly into and out of
Milan. It will save you a day of travel.

Old Oct 29th, 1999, 08:10 AM
Jane

Carol, how would you characterize evenings in the Como region? I'm hoping there's some nightlife to enjoy - and by that I just mean people out enjoying the evening: cafes, perhaps outdoor music of some sort (we are NOT into loud bars or nightclubs, carousers in the streets). My friend found Como more romantic, but as you say, it's a matter of personal taste. Also, which of the little towns would you recommend visiting? are all accessible by ferry?

Bob, if we go to Positano, we'd depart from Rome, but we do still have a long train ride from Florence, even with an express to Naples. What do you think is the best way to get to Como (without a car)?

And where would you recommend staying in Como? We're trying to keep our budget under Lit.400,000 a night.

Old Nov 1st, 1999, 12:12 PM
John

If you are indeed going to Como, you will have ample opportunity to find a nice hotel for less than your budget. Como is really nice. I suggest checking into towns farther up the lake from the town of Como, such as Bellagio or another town. They have more character than the town of Como itself. On the other hand, you can stay on the square in Como and take the boats around to explore the rest of the lake. It is easy to access Como - take the train to Milan and then change trains to Como. THe train station is in the center of town.

Old Nov 1st, 1999, 12:52 PM
Carol

Hi Jane:

I stayed in Stresa on Lago Maggiore which I loved, and the nightlife was just as you described..people fareing una passegiata, sitting at cafes, strolling lakeside, eating dinner, etc. You hear strains of music wafting through the air, but I don't exactly recall musicians.

I have heard that Bellagio is a beautiful town, more upscale I think than Stresa, but utterly delightful and I know that the ferries on Lake Como stop at quite a few little towns, e.g., Mennagio, Varenna. Not to be disloyal to Fodors, but Rick Steves has lots of info on a lakes visit on his site.

I don't know how you'd get to Stresa from Bellagio but I'll bet there's a local bus that travels between the two. Stresa's major attractions are the extraordinary islands mid-lake Isola Bella, Isola Madra and Isola Pescatore, and they're worth a day trip to visit.

Old Nov 2nd, 1999, 05:24 AM
Jeanie

I absolutely loved Lake Como. We stayed in Bellagio and that was one of the highlights of our trip. However, there was absolutely no night life at all that we found. We spent our evenings sitting on the balcony and listening to the sounds of the lake. I especially enjoyed Bellagio because it was so relaxing, but maybe that's not what you are looking for. I would imagine that Como has more nightlife.

Old Nov 2nd, 1999, 05:55 AM
dAWN

My husband and I stayed in Stresa and loved it. We took the boat trip from Stresa to the Bormorrean Islands (Isola de Madre, Isola Bella & Isola Pescatore), it was a truly wonderful day, one of the best on our trips. The next day we drove to Lago de Como, and then took the boat to Bellagio, which was fabulous. You can't go wrong with either.

Old Nov 2nd, 1999, 06:05 AM
Carol

Hi Jane:

After reading about how dead Bellagio is at night, I now think you should definitely head for Stresa. I was there in late May and the town was lively in the way I described above. It's not a big town, but there are a couple of little squares with cafes, and the big hotels along the lakeside have terraces where you can have a drink or coffee, and lots of folks out walking etc.