Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lake Como - Hotel Du Lac (Bellagio) or Grand Hotel Britannia Excelsior (Cadenabbia)

Search

Lake Como - Hotel Du Lac (Bellagio) or Grand Hotel Britannia Excelsior (Cadenabbia)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2019, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I am visiting Lake Como this August and looking at hotels connected by the ferry system in and around Bellagio and Varenna. The two I am deciding between are

Hotel Du Lac (Bellagio) and Grand Hotel Britannia Excelsior (Cadenabbia).

Has anyone stayed at either? Pros? Cons? They both are walkable to Ferry so would love thoughts on cleanliness, amenities, how walkable they are to other hotels, restaurants, nightlife.

Thank you!
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 02:50 PM

Well, they both cost a fortune by my standards, so I assume they would be clean.
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Well yes, they are not inexpensive! But a total of 580-780 Euro for 4 nights total when many of the other hotels charge that for one night made me curious about the quality. If anyone has any experience staying in either and has feedback I would be grateful.
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 03:00 PM

OK, but even though I don't normally pay in this price bracket for accommodations, I have never been in a hotel in Italy that I thought was less than clean, really, really clean, actually. But I'm not germaphobic or terribly fussy, so don't rely on me.
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 06:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
No experience at either hotel, but if those are the only two hotels in contention I'd pick the Hotel du Lac in Bellagio. It is just completing a renovation of guest rooms and gets very good reviews. The lukewarm reviews of GH Brittania Excelsior in Cadenabbia on booking.com would disqualify it for me.
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 03:32 AM

Britannia Excelsior is a favourite with UK Coach Tour Companies.

Shearing Holidays being one.....

https://www.shearings.com/our-holida...nnia-excelsior

Mixing with large tour groups isn't everyone's cup of tea.....not mine anyway.
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 05:43 AM

We were thinking about booking Hotel Du Lac (Bellagio) last year and were very happy we did not. It is right next to the ferry terminal with unimaginable crowds all day long. Not something we like, but it might work for you, if you want to be close to the ferries.

We stsyed at thd Grand Hotel Menaggio, and though the hotel itself was OK, the restaurant was horrible - we made a huge mistake trying half board there for the first time (and the last) in our lives.

If I were you, I would try Hotel Du Lac (Varenna). I had been trying to book it for a long time and well in advance, but failed to get a reservation. We passed by it in Varenna, walked to check it out and realized that we missed out on the greatest place to enjoy the lakes. Coming back...and will be in contact with the hotel during high season - maybe they will pick up the phone then.
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 07:14 AM

Rather than Du Lac, choose the Hotel Florence next door.
It is a better option.
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 07:25 AM

Are you willing to consider other hotels? Other towns?

We've stayed multiple times at the Florence in Bellagio and the du Lac in Varenna.
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 02:43 AM

I also stayed in hotel Florence, and felt it was great value for money with excellent location. But you need to hurry with your reservation, August is the high season there.
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 04:05 AM

Hi Jean,

Could you please tell a bit more about your experience staying at the Hotel du Lac in Varenna? We will definitely be back in April 2020, so I want to book as early as I can with them.

Thank you so much!
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 06:19 AM

Hotel du Lac in Varenna (each of the 3 towns mid-lake has its own Hotel du Lac--must create incredible confusion and lots of incorrect reservations and surprises for travelers) is delightful. A short, walkable distance from the main area of town (very small) it sits a story above the lake with incredible views of the two tines of the fork of the lake. It is clean, nicely furnished, has very accommodating staff and is our definite favorite in the area. It has an elevator but it does not go to all floors so if you have mobility issues be sure you make your needs clear. Having a drink, or a lunch on their vine covered terrace looking down on the lake is one of our favorite places in the world (our view is admittedly limited pretty much to US and Europe but we've been to a lot of european cities/areas, so that's saying something. )
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 11:01 AM

vinonobile987, I liked the du Lac and its location very much (esp. to/from the ferry dock), and I think Julie Vikmanis describes it well (LOVE the view from the terrace). Since you're planning a return visit to the lake, you have presumably already seen most of the more popular sights. If it was a first-time visit to Lake Como, I might lean more toward Bellagio to save time on some ferry rides to the villas on the western shore. About the only negative to Varenna is the reduced number of dining options, but I'm one who doesn't mind repeating a restaurant (even multiple nights in a row) if the food and overall experience are good. Ristorante Il Cavatappi!! The du Lac only has 16 rooms, and a couple have quirky layouts, so I would seek a reservation as soon as the hotel takes them for your dates.
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 02:05 PM

We loved https://www.belvederebellagio.com/en.
It is on the "back side" of Bellagio. Away from the craziness of the town, but walking distance to everything.
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 02:14 PM

Yes, we stayed at Hotel du Lac some years ago -- daughter was in Paris at college -- so 20 years ago??? But location was divine and the bartender made the best Manhattans ever (yes, we're from NYC). Then it was quite reasonable, and our room faced the lake. It was Sept-Oct and weather was warm and divine. We loved Bellagio, and of all the places we've been to in Europe, sometimes once, sometimes many, we still want to go back to Bellagio!
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 03:10 PM

Thank you so much, Jean, Julie and Alice! Yes, lesson learned... I should have booked Hotel du Lac in Varenna well in advance for our first trip to the Lakes. Food options do not bother me too much, so I am happy with what Varenna has to offer. I must be in the overwhelming minority, but my favorite Italian Lake is not Lake Como and not Lake Garda - fabulous Lake Maggiore stole my heart.