8 days in tuscany

Search

8 days in tuscany

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8 days in tuscany

My husband and I are thinking of making a quick trip to Italy the first part of September and need suggestions for itinerary. Thinking we fly into Florence and maybe fly out of Naples if that would work. We will have a car but need advice on towns to stop in and places to stay. Also, would it be necessary to have our accommodations booked before we arrive?

Thanks!
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 10:19 AM

Naples is nowhere near Tuscany.
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 10:24 AM

I would check airline connections to your hometown. It may involve 2 connections---look at Kayak.com
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks and I realize that Naples is not in Tuscany but thought we might drive down after touring Tuscany. I will check airlines as soon as I figure out where we will be ending our trip. Still need itinerary suggestions. All will be appreciated!
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 11:31 AM

You need to give us something to go on otherwise the options are endless! What do you enjoy doing?
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 01:25 PM

With 8 days, you might as well just do a loop and fly in and out Florence. Pick up the car and head first to the Chianti area for a few nights. Then relocate to the val d'Orcia area. Might be nice to drop off the car in Siena and return to Florence for a final day before flying out.

You don't need to book in advance if you are traveling with a device that gives you reliable internet connection. You can book through booking.com last minute.

You also really don't need an "itinerary" or places to visit. Buy a general guidebook for Tuscany, so you know what you are looking at, but the fun of Tuscany is that it is so dense with beautiful and charming historic towns, you can just take a chance on any of them and have it work for you. In fact, it is better to avoid many of the guidebook listed towns (or interent recommended ones) because they have become touristic and people snapping pictures and buying the same stuff. Just head out with a map and follow your nose.

It's not a great idea to commit yourself to flying out of Naples, unless you are prepared to drop off the car sooner (in Chiusi or Orvieto) and take a train down. The long drive just isn't worth it unless you have lots of time to explore nooks and crannies, and really care about off-the.beaten track travel. Naples is a kick, but it is more fun to spend 3 or 4 days there, and if this trip is about Tuscany, then give it its due. There is lots of variety in Tuscany, and if it turns out the wine country bores you, then go to the Tuscan seaside, or the Ligurian seaside. Just so long as you make it back to Florence to fly home, it won't matter.
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 01:52 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>>Thinking we fly into Florence and maybe fly out of Naples if that would work. <<<<

If you are coming from the states, neither of those have flights from the US and would require changing planes somewhere in Europe. You might consider Pisa (Delta has flights JFK/Pisa) which is in Tuscany. You could pick up your car there.

Both Florence/Naples would require early departures also.

>>>In fact, it is better to avoid many of the guidebook listed towns<<<

Many of those towns are in the quidebooks for a good reason - fabulous sites/views, etc. While big towns like Siena/Florence might be crowded, I never find the smaller towns (including the famous ones) crowded at that time of year unless they are having a festival or perhaps weekends. Even if they are having a festival, some festivals are quite enjoyable.
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 02:59 PM

I didn't say many of the guidebook listed towns were crowded (although more than a few are), I said " they have become touristic and people snapping pictures and buying the same stuff."

The fact is that MOST of the towns in the Chianti and the val d'Orica (and several other Tuscan valleys) have "fabulous sites/views, etc. " Even the ones that aren't in the guidebooks. What they also have is the texture of Tuscan life, rather than the texture of tourist life.

But not only did not talk about all Tuscan towns (I said many) and not talk about crowds, I also suggesting following one's own nose. Most people doing that will end up in towns they later learn are in guidebooks anyway. It is not a huge area. But if they stick to a guidebook or internet recommended "itinerary" they might miss what's most essentially Tuscan.
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 03:24 PM

I too am going to be in Tuscany for 4 days in September. Thanks for the advice of val d'Orica. I will get a tour book for the inside maps.
nhartist
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 06:26 PM

With just 8 days I would stay in Tuscany the whole time. We stayed right outside the town of San Donato which is just off the hwy half way between Florence and Siena. Perfect place from which to explore those two cities as well as many Tuscan towns such as San G., Volterra, Montepulciano, Montalcino and others. We even did Lucca/Pisa, and Cinque Terra as day trips. Save Naples and the south for another time.
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone for advice and suggestions! I had not thought about flying into Pisa but it definitely sounds like the best idea. I think we will just do Tuscany and save Naples for another trip. Any other advice or tips for cities/towns to visit and things to see and or avoid. We are excited to see the country side, meander in quaint towns, enjoy local wine and food.
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 10:17 AM

Good for you !
Here are some options:

BOB’S FAVORITE DIGS IN TUSCANY
A. RURAL LOCATIONS: All have parking and good food options nearby

1. Relais La Saracina www.lasaracina.it 230 to 300E
Fabulous country home near Montepulciano—helpful owners

2. Cretaiole Agriturismo http://www.cretaiole.it/ Good value for families
Isabella also has 2 apts. in Castelmuzio for rent—wonderful—see her site.

3. Terre di Nano www.terredinano.com 100 to 155
Both rooms and apartments at rural Agriturismo near Monticchiello

4. Casanova di Pescille http://www.casanovadipescille.com/ 100E
Rural B&B 3 KM from famed San Gimignano—we loved the views of San Gim.

5. Fattoria Tregole www.fattoria-tregole.com 110E to 180E
Has both B&B and apartment accommodations. Near Castellina in Chianti

6. Agriturismo apts. near San Quirico— www.poggiolo.info/ About 110E

7. New historic B&B north of Pienza. http://www.camprena.it/index.htm
Site of filming for THE ENGLISH PATIENT About 90E for double

8. http://www.borgoargenina.it/index.html A special rural B&B in Chianti.
The lovely owner, Elena, will make you feel like family. 170E for double

B. IN-TOWN LOCATIONS: For walking convenience to shops & ristorantes.

1. Palazzo del Capitano www.palazzodelcapitano.com 170 to 210E
Very nice small hotel in center of San Quirico—perfect location to explore.

2. Vecchia Oliviera www.vecchiaoliviera.com/ 150 to 200E
Nice 4 star hotel at the gate into lovely Montalcino---has pool.

3. Palazzina Cesari www.montalcinoitaly.com 80 to 110E
Lovely small B&B in heart of Montalcino—great value—2 night stay minimum.

4. Locanda di San Francesco www.locandasanfrancesco.it 180 to 200E
New boutique B&B in a lovely location in Montepulciano—great reviews !

5. Politian apartments http://www.politian.com/ Good value apts. with
minimum stay of 3 nights in Montepulciano---helpful host---85E

6. Palazzo Ravizza www.palazzoravizza.it 170 to 250E
Very nice & popular hotel in Siena with parking.
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 11:10 AM

We recently spent a week in Montepulciano (loved it, tourists and all) in an apartment, but had the opportunity to check out one of Bob's recommended hotels, Locanda di San Francesco. The rooms are lovely and the location at the top of town is stunning. If your travels take you to Montepulciano, it would be a great place to stay.
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks Bob and everyone... Such wonderful info!!
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 01:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I also highly recommend La Locanda di San Francesco in Montepulciano, but they have very few rooms (4 or 5?). Book early!

There's a fun wine bar on the entrance level with a small deck outside. And a sitting room that also serves as the breakfast room, otherwise there is no 'lobby.' Owners are great, very welcoming and helpful.
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 11:35 PM

We stayed just outside of Montepulciano at this place and loved it! It's about a 5 min drive to Montepulciano and they also rent flats in town.

http://www.santantonio.it
Old Jul 21st, 2014, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Wonderful information...getting excited!!