Lake Como and Lake Maggiore

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are these 2 lakes sufficiently different to spend 3 nights or so at each? We are interested in scenery, gardens, castles and history, and walking/hikes (and a little shopping!)

We will have a car, but it looks like it is about 2 hrs between Stresa and Bellagio (I just chose these 2 as possible places to stay)

Will a car be a problem?

Tentatively planning for last 2 weeks of September, will this be a good time of year? I realize the gardens won't be full of flowers, but we don't need that to enjoy gardens.
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 08:50 AM

If you choose http://www.ilperlo.com/en/hotelaccomodation.htm above Bellagio, parking will be less of a problem, although its parking lot does not accommodate one car per room.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...7622914503405/
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 09:10 AM

We have been to Europe for pleasure trips over 50 times and one of our favorites of all those trips was the one we took in late September/early October 1996 to the Northern Italian Lakes. We spent 3 nights on Lake Orta, 2 on Maggiore, 4 on Como, 2 on tiny lake Iseo, and 3 on Lake Garda. It was beautiful, incredibly relaxing and we never tired of the scenery, gardens and just plain beauty. There aren't so much castles in the area as lovely villas though there are a few castles, notably the one at the entry to the walled part of Sirmione on Lake Garda. Overall this area is garden heaven and many of the gardens don't really rely on blooming flowers for their beauty so you should be fine--as we were--at the time of year you've chosen. I would do this trip all over again and be very happy. You've chosen a wonderful area. Enjoy.
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 09:14 AM

Sorry, I neglected to give my opinion on the car issue. I think you want one to move from lake to lake,and to explore some small towns that aren't on the ferry or steamboat routes, but you will wind up keeping it parked a lot as you spend most of your time going from place to place at least on the larger lakes. I would not want to be totally without a car in that area. Though with planning it could be done, it would be far less convenient than having a car and would become more so as the time of the year gets later and later and the boat schedules get less and less frequent.
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 09:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
We spent 10 days on Lake Como in Mid.Sept. and the weather was lovely. If your budget allows, we stayed at the following hotel in Tremezzo, right next door to Villa Carlotta(one of the prominent gardens on the lake).

http://www.grandhoteltremezzo.com/

There is a boat dock right there to get the boat to all the towns on Lake Como. The view of Bellagio, across the lake, from the hill behind the hotel at sunset is fantastic. Also great views of the lake from the terrace restaurant. Speaking of restaurants, one of our favorite meals in all of our European travels was at www.alveluu.com about a 5-10 min. drive from the hotel.

Villa Balbinetto and gardens is great to tour and also the villas with gardens(don't remember the names) in Varenna, a boat ride away.

There is great hiking in the surrounding hills and also the island in the lake, Isola Comacina.

We only went to Stresa for 1 day. For us it was just too busy, crowded, and touristy. That said, there was a huge choice of hotels, shops, and restaurants to choose from, and I understand that the island there are a huge tourist attraction.

We too would also do this trip over again.
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 10:41 AM

we love the lakes--our favorite destinations in Italy---and have been to each multiple times. Like Julie, I do suggest a car. Having a car at Como is easier to stay on the west shore at Menaggio, Tremezzo, or Lenno. Think of Como and Lugano as a pair---Orta and Maggiore as another pair. I would give each at least 3 days. Here is my gallery from Como---stay tuned for the Orta/Maggiore gallery.
http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=4442
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 10:43 AM

Here is more. Holler if you need help.
http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=4173
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 10:43 AM

yes you should do both lakes. It will be nice to have a car to drive to different towns. Bellaggio is so pretty. You should take a boat ride up Lake Como to see the other towns. Scenery at both lakes is gorgeous, enjoy!!
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 10:46 AM

I don't know about shopping in Stresa though. Aren't you going to spend some time in Milano before or after? You should do so if you're interested in shopping.
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 10:47 AM

Oh and it's a great time of year!!! It's warm and you can SWIM, and the Italians will be back from their own holidays so all the towns and cities will be bustling, and restaurants and shops will be open. Perfetto!
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 10:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Depending on your plans at Lake Como, staying in/near Bellagio isn't necessarily the most convenient place. You should figure out what you want to see/do and then decide where to stay. If you plan to park the car and do your sightseeing by public trans, your geographic base is a little less of an issue although you'll want to be at/near a ferry stop.

FWIW, Residence Lalimonera (apartments) in the heart of Bellagio has parking which was free the last time I checked.

http://www.residencelalimonera.com/

The ferry timetables for both lakes (although now showing the winter/early spring schedules):

http://www.navigazionelaghi.it/home_e.html
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 08:19 PM

Stresa is very nice and there is convenient ferry service to the islands in the lake. There are also a couple of nice little areas of shops to stroll through.
Old Dec 23rd, 2010, 10:32 AM

Having a car makes a big difference to the dynamics of your trip.

My suggestion is to stay at Tremezzo or Cadenabbia - Grand Hotel Tremezzo or Grand Hotel Cadenabbia. Bellagio can be easily be reached by foot or by car with the frequent ferry. I agree with TPAYT. If it is a nice day there are few restaurants to beat that Al Veluu above Tremezzo.

For gardens you should visit Villa Carlotta and as a day trip I suggest you take the road from Menaggio to Lake Lugano and vist Parco Ciani on the lake in Lugano - a beautifully maintained park garden. From there travel to Ponte Tresa and then on to Lake Maggiore where there are ferries which can take you across to Stresa so you can then visit the Borromean islands.

Your second base in my opinion should be Lake Garda. I am not an expert on this lake but it is quite different to Lake Como and Lake Maggiore. There are many postings so you can easily research it.

As a detour I would very strongly suggest visiting Mantova (Mantua) with its three lakes. This is frequently overlooked but in my opinion one of the most beautiful and unspoilt small cities in the north of Italy. Everything you need to see is within easy walking distance and the food is divine!
Old Dec 23rd, 2010, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all, you're giving me lots to think about! And I feel much better about having a car there now. For some reason I was thinking that having a car at the Lakes would be a real pain.

It think the two lakes we stay at will probably be Como and Maggiore. I want to see Isola Bella, Isola dei Pescatori, Isola Madre and Villa Taranto. We will be doing a circular route, beginning and ending in Switzerland, so Garda and Mantua look just a little south of our route. Villa Carlotta and Villa del Balbianello look like they should be added to my list.

I emailed Grand Hotel Tremezzo about their rates. Advance booking feature had the rooms starting at around $400 ~ is it really that expensive?

If this trip works out, we will want really nice accomodations, easy to walk to good restaurants, with a terrace or balcony ~ but a swimming pool, spa etc is not necessary. Would love to do an apartment, but I'm sure they don't rent for 3 or 4 nights. There may be 2 of us, or 3 of us, or 5 of us, don't know yet! I looked at Residence Lalimonera, it looked nice, but I'd rather be closer to the water.

When I say shopping we just want nice stores, but nothing fancy like I assume one would see in Milan.

Anyone know anything about the “Dorsale del Triangolo Lariano” hiking trail?
Old Dec 23rd, 2010, 01:40 PM

In my experience, the only place in the Lake Como area that you will find a wealth of upscale shops will be Bellagio and Como. If you are really serious about shopping, you may do better, price-wise, with a visit to the outlets in Mendrisio, across the border in Switzerland.

I do agree that Tremezzo would be a great place to stay. The GH Tremezzo does sound pricey and if you cannot find better pricing for your dates, you might also look a bit further north to Menaggio, where the Victoria and the GH Menaggio might suit, although they may be a step lower in quality; both are directly on the lake:

http://www.grandhotelmenaggio.com/hoteluk.htm

http://www.centrohotelslakecomo.com/.../homepage.html
Old Dec 23rd, 2010, 02:06 PM

I stayed in Bevano on Lago Maggiore and loved it. It was easy to get to the Borromeo Islands on Lago Maggiore (and I'd highly recommend exploring them) via a ferry, and easy to access Stresa that way. I only ever did daytrips to Bellagio and Como from my base in Bevano, and also took in Tremezzo. I loved staying in Bevano because it's a nice little town and quiet friendly. Stresa, IMVHO, did seem to be teeming with tourists.

Buon Viaggio,
BC
Old Dec 23rd, 2010, 02:22 PM

We stayed at Locarno on Lago Maggiore -- which is in Switzerland, not Italy. (Ditto Lugano). You can boat to the Borromean Islands from Locarno, bus deep into the Alps or, from the center of town, go up on a 3-leg funicular/gondola/chairlift trip to great views over the lakes and mountains.

It was a few years ago but Locarno was a nice, not too busy town. Both on that trip and on our visit to Bellagio we managed without a car. Didn't really need it. Used the train to get there and the little ferry boats on lake Como to get around.
Old Dec 23rd, 2010, 05:04 PM

I would stay on the west shore of Como---Menaggio, Lenno etc, and then drive to Stresa via the north route thru Lugano and Locarno. Takes longer but sure is scenic. I agree that Villa Taranto is not to be missed---you could do it on that same transition day. I envy you this itineray--you will love it.
Old Dec 23rd, 2010, 05:57 PM

I hope bookchick doesn't mind if I correct some spelling:

The town on Lago Maggiore is Baveno.
Old Dec 24th, 2010, 02:36 PM

I don't mind, and thank you, Zeppole.
Oh, and Buon Natale to you.

BC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -