Reload this Page >

Lake Como and Bellagio?

Search

Lake Como and Bellagio?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 11:40 AM
Kay

Lake Como and Bellagio?

I have been reading quite a few postings with suggestions to visit Bellagio. We have a day in Como area. How long does it take to go on the ferry from Como to Bellagio? Do they run frequently? Can you take a car? Or would it be better to park it? If so is there ample parking at the ferry? Is there a ferry that goes to Bellagio and other cities on the lake then back to Como? <BR>Several have mentioned Villa d'Este? What exactly is it? Can someone please give more details on it? <BR>Thanks.

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 11:56 AM
Rex

I have only taken the ferry from Menaggio to Bellagio (not from Como), and at least on this particular route, yes, you can take a car. It is very, very short - - about 9 minutes crossing, I am guessing. You spend more time lining up than acrtually crossing the lake. <BR> <BR>I would recommend making this drive up as equally good as (if not better than) taking the ferry from Como itself. And this is the only way you can get to Villa d'Este (I think) is via the road from Como to Menaggio. <BR> <BR>Villa d'Este is an extraordinary hotel whose gardens are so spectacular, that ehy are a "tourist attraction" in their own right. The hotel is a gated, rtestricted prioperty, but you can get in just to have a meal there, or to see the gardesn (don't know if the hours for garden visits are restricted, but probably not 24 hours a day, for non-guests, of course). <BR> <BR>Highly recommended, unless you just don't like luxurious, beautiful places. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 09:37 PM
Kay

Rex-Thank you so much for the helpful information. Since I love gardens, Villa d'Este is a must see! <BR>Would taking a ferry over to Varrena be worth while, or would it be more advisable to drive back along the lake to Valmadrera??

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 05:40 AM
sophia

I'm also interested in this and have been looking at the map..would the drive from Como to Menaggio with a stop at Villa d'Este take up the better part of a day or would you still have time to take the ferry over to Bellagio. Would it be more "quality" time to forget about the ferry across the lake and just do the drive up the one side? I can't quite get a feel for the distances and times you would spend in each place.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 10:28 AM
Mike

It can be tedious, but Como to Menaggio is about an hour. Take the ferry, and get to Bellagio.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 10:46 AM
Rex

Mike gave the correct terse answer. I'll expand. Leave Como before 10. Less than 30 minutes (maybe less than 15, depending on where you start) to Villa d'Este. 45-90 minutes there will do it justice, or if you have the big bucks, lunch thee -- add two hours. <BR> <BR>30-45 minutes more to get to Menaggio. 10-30 minutes to line up for the ferry. This will still give you 2-6 hours in Bellagio - - entirely appropriate and enjoyable, and the longer time frame, will of course allow you to eat a meal - - sumptuous or otherwise. <BR> <BR>Ferry back and drive back to Como as early as 4:30 or as late as 11:30 - - choices, choices, choices!! <BR> <BR>As an alternative, you could also leave the car IN Menaggio, and just explore Bellagio entirely on foot. Either place will require some creativity in finding a parking spot - - but it can be done. <BR>

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 11:43 AM
Howard

From experience, it can take an hour or longer for the short drive from Como to, say, Bellagio. Last October, it took us over an hour to make that short trip! <BR>As previously mentioned, it could be a problem finding a parking space in some of the towns. <BR>In addition to Villa de'Este, Villa Monastero in Varenna is also worth your time if you like gardens, as is Villa Carlotta in Tremezzo. When are you going? Obviously, that will determine how blooking the gardens will be. <BR>If you decide to take a ferry from Como to Bellagio, the "express" (only 3 stops) takes about 45 minutes; the one with more stops takes 2 hours. <BR>One option is to combine driving and ferries. For example, you could drive to Bellagio and then take the ferries to either Varenna, Tremezzo or both and then returning to your car in Bellagio. The ferry rides, as previously menioned, are short. <BR>P.S.: The area is beautiful! <BR>

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 12:14 PM
Sophia

Rex and Howard...how helpful you are..thank you! we'll be there on Saturday,July 28 - probably very busy. How would this work - as mentioned by Rex..drive from Como to Menaggio with a stop at Val d'Este (no lunch there -it's the END of our trip!)..and ferry from Menaggio to Bellagio. Then ferry back on the express from Bellagio to Como, and drive on to Malpensa where we are booked in for the nite (early flight next day). <BR>Would this be the best use of little time? Thanks again for your great posts.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 12:26 PM
Rex

Howard (and Sophia) - - when I was there in September, the ferry stop at Tremezzo was closed (seasonal?) - - it looked to me like it was not going to open anytime soon. <BR> <BR>And thanks - - to both ladies... <BR>

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 12:34 PM
lyv

OK...I'll bite how much is lunch at Villa d'Este???

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 12:41 PM
Rex

Oh, not really that bad (though I have only had dinner there) - - surely not as bad as some places in Paris - - $25 to 55 USD, maybe. Of course, a lot depends on what you spend on wine. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 12:44 PM
Howard

Rex, the ferry actually stopped in the town right next to Tremezzo. I forget the name of the town. I believe it started with a B. Anyway, it was a very short walk from the ferry to Villa Carlotta in Tremezzo. This was early in October, 2000. <BR>Sophia, I'm not sure if I totally follow your itinerary, but it sounds doable!

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 09:29 PM
coco

I'm not sure that the express ferries from Bellagio to Como carry cars???

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 10:25 PM
Kay

My thanks to all and especially Rex and Howard. Extremely helpful info. We are going to be there in two and a half weeks. People in the travel indust. keep telling me that the last couple of weeks(i.e.Tuscany area )in April will not be terribly crowded, I hope this applies as well to this area. We will see if they are right.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 10:27 PM
Kay

My thanks to all and especially Rex and Howard. Extremely helpful info. We are going to be there in two and a half weeks. People in the travel indust. keep telling me that the last couple of weeks(i.e.Tuscany area )in April will not be terribly crowded, I hope this applies as well to this area. We will see if they are right.

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 07:15 AM
Howard

Coco has raised a good question about cars on the ferries to the city of Como. I just don't remember whether there was room for cars or not.

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 09:52 AM
biguy290

Park in Como -- there's a lot of parking around the ferry slips. But recommend you take the hydrofoil to Bellagio -- it's a beautiful trip by conventional watercraft, but very long. With the hydrofoil, you'll have time for a leisurely lunch at Bellagio (some nice places overlooking the water) and an exploration of the town. <BR>Also, sitting and letting someone else do the driving has its attractions.

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 10:28 AM
Howard

biguy290 is correct. It actually is a hydrofoil you're taking from Como. When I mentioned previously about taking the "express" ferry, I was referring to the hydrofoil.

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 12:15 PM
John

Last time I was there, lunch at Villa d'este was $100 per person on the veranda. This is no joke. The poolside cafe was much less expensive. OF course, the best way to admire the lake and the villa is from the veranda.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 07:04 AM
M

I am staying at the Grand Hotel Tremezzo in late May for my honeymoon. We have 4 days there and are planning to make Tremezzo our base and take ferry trips to Belagio and many of the other places that were mentioned. We tried to get reservations at the Villa D'Este but they only had a junior suite left and we couldn't afford the roughly $900/night. I would like to go there for lunch and I heard that if you dine there you are allowed to use their pool and lounge areas. Does anyone know if this is true? Also, has anyone stayed at the Grand Hotel Tremezzo? The information I have read here about the ferries has been very helpful. Thanks!