Lago di Garda or Lago di Como?

Jan 24th, 2001, 10:02 AM
Noel Abela

Lago di Garda or Lago di Como?

Hi
Can anyone help me out. I will be touring the North Italian lakes by car next August for ten days and I am in a bit of a dilemma. Should I be baised in Lake Como Or Lake Garda? I have heard lots of good things about Sirmione in Lake Garda but so is Bellagio in Lake Como. What are your suggestions should I stay in both places or I would be better staying in one of this locations.If there are better options to these places please advice me
Thanks and regards
Noel

Jan 24th, 2001, 10:13 AM
Larry

Noel, slightly off your question but you may want to check out Stresa on Lago Maggiore in addition to the others

Jan 24th, 2001, 11:36 AM
Santa Chiara

Well, whatever you do, you better stop dithering and decide if you are going in August. Rooms not only are at a premium, they book up fast. And sorry, I have no other advice. Have only been to Como, which was great. Have heard (and only by word of mouth, so don't take it to heart) that Sirmione is touristy.

It's not the end of the world, you won't go wrong with either place.

Jan 25th, 2001, 01:36 AM
Steve

Hello Noel,

What's wrong with 5 days on each?
Bellagio is the nicest base for Lake Como.
For Lake Garda my recommendation would be RIVA DEL GARDA, not Sirmione. The scenery around Riva is spectacular, - the mountains rise straight out of the lake, and the Brenta Dolomites are nearby...

Jan 25th, 2001, 01:38 AM
anniel

I have stayed on both lake Como and Lake Garda. I much preferred lake Como. The scenery is much more striking in my opinion and I also enjoyed the towns around the lake more than those on Garda. Lake Garda is of course not that far from Verona which is a magical place but I would still not choose to stay on Garda. Sirmione is indeed very touristy and gets extremely crowded in season.
Lat year we spent 2 weeks at Stresa on Lake Maggiore. Easy train connections with Milan and Locarno. Some lovely islands in the lake...lots to see and do icluding visiting the beautiful lake Orta. May I suggest you use the search facility on the forum as much has already been written about the merits of each of the lakes. Good luck!

Jan 25th, 2001, 11:11 AM
Paulo

Lake Garda, compared to Lakes Como and Maggiore, is much more of a summer water sports ressort area. The average visitor, how can I say it, is more "active" than the visitor to Lake Como and also the average visitor age is lower. Finally, Lake Garda should be packed with Germans (while their kids are doing water sporting courses they visit a number of very fine cities at striking distance).

Though my water sporting days are long gone, the main feature that attracts me to Lake Garda is its vicinity to Verona, the Dolomiti and other art cities. I also wouldn't choose Sirmione to stay. Too much crowded and touristy. I never spend a night in Riva. IMO it's nicere to stay than Sirmione but also very crowded (and loud in summer). My choice would be Torri del Benaco (Hotel Gardesana) because it's strategically placed on the eastern shore. There's a ferry to the other side of the lake a short distance from the hotel. Verona (1/2 hour), Vicenza (1 hour), Mantua (45 minutes), Padua (1:15 hours) and even Ortisei in the Dolomiti (2 hours) are at striking distance. We found it no problem at all dining till late in Verona (12 Apostoli for moderate expenses or Il Desco for a splurge) and driving back to the hotel at night.

So, unless you want to know/see nothing about the Dolomiti or any of the mentioned art cities, I'm with Steve and would urge you to consider splitting the time between Lake Como/Maggiore and Garda!

Paulo

Jan 25th, 2001, 01:03 PM
Donna

I am staying in Riva this summer. Does anyone know what is the best way to get to Venice from there for a day trip with 4 people? I will have a car, but should I consider the train? If so where would I get the train from, and would I be able to park at the train station? Whats the approxiamte cost for the train, and do I need to book ahead?
Sorry , but this a detail of my trip that I have been obsessing about

Paolo??

Grazie!

Jan 25th, 2001, 07:14 PM
Paulo

By car (going the fast Autostrada route outskirting Verona) it should take you 2 hours nonstop. Allow for and extra 20 minutes for parking at the Tronchetto island. The cost would be approximately Lit 85,000 for gas, Lit 20,000 for toll and Lit 25,000 for parking (total of Lit 130,000).

If you ellect going by train, you have to drive to Rovereto. The trip takes about 2:30 hours with a change in Verona. Convenient (faster) trains leave Rovereto at 8:05am at 9:20am. For your return, there's a train leaving Venice at 6pm. Cost would approximately be Lit 49,000/pax in 2nd class and Lit 35,300/pax in 1st class. You'd have to add the cost of driving back and forth to Rovereto and parking in Rovereto (not a big deal). Unless you're travelling on very particular dates/periods you don't need to reserve.

As you can see, with a car it's way less expensive and you'd have the freedom to return whenever you feel like (say, after 6pm). The drive's an easy one.

Paulo

Jan 25th, 2001, 07:25 PM
Paulo

Oops ... the 1st class roundtrip train ticket should read Lit 70,600 (I forgot the return trip; 2nd class ticket price is ok)

Paulo

Jan 26th, 2001, 05:50 AM
donna

Thank you very much Paolo--you are most helpful and knowledgeable!!!!