Reload this Page >

La Tour Eiffel & Tower of London - trip recap

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 05:53 PM
Annette Rosario

PART 1 OF 3<BR><BR>Recently returned from a whirlwind trip (mother/daughter) to London & Paris. 3 1/2 days London; 1 day Paris. (Air/hotel package from Expedia). Note: prices quoted are per person.<BR><BR>Our observations:<BR><BR>London:<BR><BR>Virgin Atlantic: would rate the service above average; friendly, attentive flight attendants; however, seats were rather uncomfortable, kind of "tight" (we're not 'big' women).<BR><BR>Locals we met: on the whole, very friendly people, good sense of humor.<BR><BR>London Eye: &pound;9.50 (well worth it, spectacular views; we went in the early afternoon, no line, we had purchased our tickets earlier that day at a vendor near our hotel)<BR><BR>Tower of London: &pound;11.50. Very interesting; animated tour guide Yeoman Warder (Beefeater).<BR><BR>Crown Jewels: you catch a film of the reigning Queen's coronation, before heading to view the Crown Jewels---where you'll view the displays while on the moving walkway. Yes, expect crowds, but the line progressed fairly rapidly.<BR>

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 05:55 PM
Annette

PART 2 OF 3<BR><BR>Westminster Abbey: &pound;6 (very impressive, though a bit overwhelming as we visited on our last day & were quite rushed).<BR><BR>Tourbus: The Big Bus Company: &pound;16 (all day bus ride-hop on/off, live English commentary, included the cruise on the Thames, which we opted against b/c it was too cold and we were -once again- short on time).<BR><BR>Theater: Blood Brothers, a musical (rather tragic). The lead (female) had a very powerful voice; we definitely enjoyed the show. Purchased tix at THE Leicester Square ticket booth (&pound;21.25), near a yogurt place called Rendezvous. We did notice many other places claiming to sell discounted tix as well.<BR><BR>Food<BR><BR>Lunches were generally at Pret A Manger (sandwich spots located all over town), reasonably priced. Apprx &pound;5-&pound;6.<BR><BR>Dinner: found an Italian restaurant in Leicester Sq area we were very pleased with - Cafe Pasta. (Had dinner here 2 nights). Fresh, well seasoned food; wait staff very friendly (Jefferson and Roberto, 2 Brazilian waiters). Cost: between &pound;20-&pound;22.<BR><BR>Weather: mid 50's; first day, crisp clear weather; thereafter cloudy, with rain showers/drizzles.<BR><BR>Hotel: Pembridge Palace, Bayswater<BR><BR>Wouldn't stay here again. Our issues: our phone was out of order (twice), the <BR>bathroom (while it was clean and somewhat spacious by European standards), had a faulty shower fixture: had difficulty shutting the faucet off completely & called the concierge's desk every night & every morning after showering, to have someone come to our room to shut it off. Also, bath mats weren't changed on a daily basis. <BR><BR>The hotel is located in an ethnic area (Muslim/Pakistani/Indian)<BR><BR>Buffet style breakfast was included in our package: satisfied with selection & freshness of food.<BR><BR>The hotel is conveniently located, near many shops/restaurants; walking distance to Kensington Gardens. Underground (tube)stations: Bayswater, and Queensway.<BR><BR>Transportation: <BR><BR>Tube: Carnet of 10 Zone 1 single tix: &pound;11.50 - a good deal, considering an individual tix costs &pound;1.60 (Valid 12 mos)<BR><BR>Car service (to/from Heathrow).<BR>Used Eddie Manning's car service: &pound;39 (TOTAL, not per person here). I would recommend his company: affable, informative drivers.<BR><BR>Info:<BR>[email protected]<BR>07970 761 505<BR>from USA: 011 44 7970 761 505<BR>http://www.limo.co.uk<BR><BR>

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Annette

PART 3 OF 3<BR><BR>Paris:<BR><BR>Travelled Economy class (EUROSTAR), weekend return &pound;70 (Saturday). Note rates are more expensive if booking online from the U.S., I called directly to secure the cheaper rate.<BR><BR>Comfortable seats, convenient way to go London-Paris-London. Trip apprx 3hrs 10min.<BR><BR>Staff at Eurostar: professional, courteous, helpful.<BR><BR>Eurostar: www.eurostar.co.uk/<BR>tel: 011.44.8705.186.186<BR><BR>Lunch at Hippopatumus (the food was good, not spectacular). <BR><BR>Weather mild, sunny (60s). Metro very crowded. <BR><BR>Took the elevator to the 1st level of La Tour Eiffel (waited about 30mins on line). ?3.75<BR><BR>Shopped around 15th arrondisement. <BR><BR>Stopped at a patisserie (had delicious fromage/framboise tarte). Can't recall the name of the place (sorry).<BR><BR>Headed to the Champs Elysees for some pics and more shopping.<BR><BR>Returned to Gare du Nord at 8:10 for our 8:43 train (which we missed our train). Long story short: we were there on time, but I failed to realize that the board indicated 1er Etage (1st Floor) meant UPSTAIRS. Like an idiot I noticed this too late, hence we missed our train.<BR><BR>Spent the night at a nearby hotel (New Hotel); double room ?89, breakfast an extra ?5 per person.<BR><BR>(Though we were both initially upset we'd missed our train, we got over it pretty quickly, and laughed afterwards. Besides, having to spend the night in Paris wasn't exactly punishment )<BR><BR>(The folks at Eurostar were extremely accommodating, we didn't pay extra though we'd missed our train the night before. I'm convinced it didn't hurt that a friend of mine accompanied us to the customer service desk to explain the problem, in his impeccable French).<BR><BR>We had a thoroughly enjoyable (albeit exhausting) trip. My mom now has the "Euro bug" and is eager to get back. For me, seems I can't get enough of Europe (especially Paris).<BR>

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 05:58 PM
Annette

NOTE: don't know why my Paris prices show up as ? (I tried the Euro ? sign).

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 10:03 AM
x

Sounds like you had alot of fun on your whirlwind trip! What did you buy?

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Renee

What were your general impressions of the 15th...plenty of nice places to shop and eat? I will be staying there and wanted to get more opinions about it.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 06:24 PM
Annette

In London I bought a 3/4 length winter coat (street vendor); foot scrub/foot soak (from Boots pharmacy-definitely something different than what I normally get at Bath & Body works, the Body Shop, or H20); a "funky" top at "New Look" on Oxford Street; a pencil corduroy skirt at "MK One" in Bayswater; eye cream, face mask & hair conditioner at Lush (Heathrow).<BR><BR>In Paris bought a sweater at a shop on Champs Elysees (can't remember the name of the store). Perfume and Clarins products at Parfumerie Marionnaud (15th - Rue du Commerce).<BR><BR>Renee- we were only at the 15th for about 2hrs, but I recall many clothing & shoe shops (along Rue du Commerce).

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 05:56 AM

ttt

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 10:07 AM
topping

TTT

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 10:10 AM
Renee

Thanks, Annette!