La Saracina or Locanda dell Amorosa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2006, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mother and I are traveling to Tuscany for three nights in May for her 60th and it's her first trip to Italy. I have two questions. We are trying to decide between La Saracina and Locanda dell Amorosa and just can't decide. Another concern is that we will be arriving into Rome on Sunday April 30th and driving immediately into Tuscany. The following day is May 1st, Labor Day. I've been informed that many places are closed on Sunday and almost everything will be closed on Labor Day. Does anyone have any suggestions for what to do on a Sunday and a major holiday. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 04:58 PM

This exact same thread was posted about 4 months ago - see if you can search & find it.

The spectacular countryside around La Saracina is open all the time. Pienza has most of it's shops open on Sunday. I also suspect that stores in San Gimignano will be open on May 1 - but I would call the tourist office to verify this.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Stu. Have you been to either La Saracina or Locanda Dell Amorosa. I've looked up past links and both hotels receive high reviews. Which one is in a more scenic locale?
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 04:00 AM

Christi,

I have stayed at Locanda several times and will do so again in the fall...I love it!! That said, Sinalunga has very little of interest outside of the inn....to me Saracina has the better location...
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 04:32 AM

I agree that Saracin has the better location, but Amorosa is the better property. I always opt for location.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 07:32 AM

I've stayed at Saracina twice. I've never stayed at Amorosa, but I've "walked" the property twice - last time checking out their restaurant for a possible dinner (didn't dine there).

Bob gave you the best advice - just like purchasing a house, the three most important things are "location, location, & location".

La Saracina is in a much more scenic area.

Saracina is a small intimate hotel that's almost like a B&B. The rooms are large, comfortable, and in the suites we've stayed in, you could do laps in the zacuzi/tub. They also have a shower with multiple shower heads and it's so large, that it does not have a curtain. The owners are very helpful in providing info on things to do & see & eat.

From what others have posted, there are more "services" offered at Amorosa. They also have a full restaurant - Saracina only has a very lovely breakfast area.

Stu Dudley