Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

La Mere Poulard's Restaurant - Opinions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2000, 03:07 AM
Denise

I am being taken to this restaurant in September on Mont St Michel - any opinions, prices etc. What is recommended in way of dishes. I realise it is the crepe restaurant, but I would like to have some ideas/opinions from anyone who has eaten here. <BR>Thank you Denise

Old May 29th, 2000, 08:27 AM
Mike

I've never read a poor review of it, but we found it overpriced for the service and quality of food. You pay more for the atmosphere and to watch them whip the omelettes and crepes. It is right at the base of Mont St Michel and gets a lot of onlookers, but there were very few people eating in there when we were.

Old May 29th, 2000, 10:03 AM
Barry

I have been once - thats enough but not a criticism. <BR> <BR>There are certain hotels in the world at which you should try to eat, more now than there has ever been. <BR> <BR>I first saw Mere Poulards in 1964 when struggling on a 2 week stay in a tent with £50 UK pounds to last 2 of us for a fortnight. <BR> <BR>Eventually we went - it is expensive, it isn't very good value for money but the ommelettes are superb and there is only one such place in the WHOLE WIDE WORLD. <BR> <BR>Enjoy yourself.

Old May 29th, 2000, 10:48 AM
Richard

We also think it's overpriced, we stopped to watch the "omelette show" but walked on for dinner. Since you're in the Normandie area, sea food is always good. Try mussels (moules) in cream sauce or salmon (saumon). Oysters,(huites?) are also good, English is widely spoken so you can ask how the fish, shellfish, is prepared. Make reservations early, we were there this April and the wait for dinner, @8:00P was an hour. As you face the restaurant on the right is a doorway and inside is a small desk that handles reservations for the restaurant and for the hotel. That done, take a walk along the ramparts, a stairway to them is just behind you, again as you face the restaurant.

Old Jun 4th, 2000, 03:44 PM
Flo Bullock

I second the previous messages. We just ate there a couple of weeks ago and found the menu to be overpriced for just average food. I had eaten there twice before in 1980 and '82 and had wonderful meals both times, so I was looking forward to another magical dinner. I was sorely disappointed this time and would suggest you not have high expectations.

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 08:05 PM
Claire

We spent the night in Mont St. Michel four years ago - a great way to see it. Went to Poulards for dinner and when we saw the price of their famous omelette - $40 per person a la carte- we got up and left. Selected one of the other local restaurants and had a full dinner for much less.