La Fenice--Rebuilt or not?

Sep 3rd, 2001, 07:18 AM
Julie

La Fenice--Rebuilt or not?

We will be in Venice in late September and are interested in seeing a performance at La Fenice. I've gone to their website on Google and even read the automated English translation of the site but am still unable to tell if the actual Fenice opera house that was burned in 1996 has been restored or not. There is a piano concert on Sept. 27 in the Teatro Malibran. I cannot tell if this is a hall within La Fenice or a separate building somewhere else in Venice. Several articles I read on various sites suggest to me that La Fenice's rebuilding was delayed due to politics and the finding of earlier civilizations as they dug. What I can't tell is if the delay is over and the building rebuilt or not. If it is rebuilt and we can get tickets for a performance there, how "dressed up" will we need to be? Thanks to any opera buff (or just observant traveler) who can answer my questions.

Sep 3rd, 2001, 08:01 AM
elaine

answer to your title is "not", and it's considered an ongoing scandal
for periodic updates you can subscribe to a free Venice tourism newsletter
www.veniceword.com

Sep 3rd, 2001, 11:42 AM
claire

As Elaine said, La Fenice is not rebuilt and is not likely to be so for quite some time at the rate things are moving. We walked by it the first week in August and it is such a sad sight. However, Teatro Malibran just reopened this year after being "in restauro" for years. It is a lovely gem and I would jump at any chance to attend an opera or concert there. Have a great time.

Sep 5th, 2001, 01:16 AM

Sep 5th, 2001, 02:22 AM
Joelle

I was in Venice end of August and could see all the cranes hanging around La Fenice. Work does not seem to be finished at all!