Hotel Auf Schonburg in Oberwesel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to hear from people who stayed at the above hotel. How did you like it? It's labeled as luxury and expensive. The description in Fodors sounds exciting. Does it really have a feeling of a castle? Is it worth the price? Is it conviniently located in terms of getting to the river station? We will have a car so train station is not a concern. Thank you in advance
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 08:00 PM

It's WONDERFUL!! We stayed there our first night a few years ago, and our only regret was that we were too tired to really make the most of it. As I remember, the expense was really not that extraordinary. We paid a lot more for a lot less in other places. We stayed in the honeymoon suite with two kids (9 & 12) and slept like logs from 9 p.m. to 9 a.m. There's a parking lot, so if you have a car, getting to the station for the river cruise is not difficult. I highly recommend it, and hope we have an opportunity to stay there again sometime!
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:33 AM

I'll reconfirm what Carmen said. We stayed there for 1 night in May 2002 and just loved it. There were two couples and both of us loved our rooms. The views from the terrace overlooking the river are gorgeous and the food was excellent too.

Like Carmen, I wish we had been able to stay longer!
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 06:05 AM

We have stayed there too. We enjoyed it very much. We had a car and getting around was easy. I would definitely stay there again.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your opinions. IT definitely helps to make a decision.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 12:30 PM

Do it...you won't regret it!!
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Does it make a difference where to stay there? I understand there are some rooms in the tower. Where are the others?
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 12:54 PM

The two (extra) special rooms are listed as the Falcon Suite and the Honeymoon suite and are both 210 euros. This is such a bargain! We stayed in the Honeymoon suite, which was exquisite: sitting room and huge bathroom downstairs; table, chairs and sofa upstairs, with comfy canopy bed up a few steps from that. There's a small, very charming window that overlooks the river. I believe the Falcon suite may be the room with a balcony and view of the Rhine River. We emailed them for reservations and got more details about the available rooms. I didn't see the standard rooms, so can't compare.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 01:07 PM

Our room was entered from outside the main building. I believe it was Room 38. It was furnished very nicely with a double bed as well as a small sofa and table. The bathroom was large and immaculate. I was very impressed with their attention to the little details that give a room personality.

One note. It is a pretty long walk from the car park to the main entrance of the hotel so if you have much luggage, ask the hotel to assist you.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Talking about rates. For three of us (2 adults and a teenager) the room in the tower (not a suit, a large room)with the small balcony the rate is 230 Euro, and for another large room with the view the rate is 200 Euro. We are going to stay there for 4 nights. I don't know which one to choose. On the one hand, I don't want to pay extra 120 Euros if I can get a decent room for less. On the other hand, this room may not have the same atmosphere as the tower room.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 01:33 PM

Well, you're the only one who can know if it's worth 120 extra euros for the tower atmosphere. If it were ME, I'd probably do it for the balcony, if nothing else. But the whole place has a lot of atmosphere, so you'll probably be very happy either way. Perhaps some other posters have first-hand experience with those rooms?
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 01:53 PM
dkw

We were there in Oct 2002 and also stayed in a tower room. Loved it!!! There was a little tiny balcony overlooking the Rhine in one direction and vineyards in the other direction! The tower room is quite spacious and actually round on the interior. The interior of the room w/ the balcony was very "castle-like". As I recall, the only drawback to the room was that it had a tub only, no shower. Minor inconvenience for such a great room. I do remember the bed w/ its featherbed as being very comfortable. The public rooms of the hotel are furnished very nicely as well.
As long as you have a car I wouldn't hesitate to book a room there!! Without a car, its a very, very long steep walk to the Hotel
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:20 PM

We stayed in a tower room and loved it. We didn't see any other rooms so I can't make any comparisons.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 06:24 PM
hla

We stayed there last summer. We had room 13, which consisted of a canopy bed, day bed, and a rollaway for our children. It also had lead windows and window seats, and the best of all, a large balcony with a table, chairs, and chaise lounges, overlooking the Rhine. The balcony was attached to one of the turrets. Some of the other balconies we could see seemed rather small, where you could only stand. The bathroom was large, I believe with only a tub and a hand-held showerhead. This room was not in the tower, which the hotel said could not accommodate four people.

Definitely don't miss the dinners there. Even if it may seem a little pricey, it's worth it. Probably the best meal we had in Germany. Some of the tables are in an open-ceiling room with stone walls. Some of the tables are outside overlooking the Rhine. Really nice setting.

One thing some people have mentioned is the train noise. The trains run along the Rhine, pretty frequently. We were there in very hot weather, so we needed to leave our windows and door to the balcony open. The trains and their whistles are definitely noticeable, but my family managed to fall asleep without a problem. This could bother some people, however.

The rooms seemed very castle-like, and as I said, the dining areas are lovely. Don't expect huge common rooms, such as a great hall, however. Much of the castle is ruins, with the hotel built into or around it.

Hope this helps, and have a great time.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 02:56 AM

I haven't stayed there, but did go to a cocktail party. It's beautiful. I may have missed it, but when are you going? That could you decide whether to splurge for the balcony. Well worth if you're going in the summer, with the days being so long.