Krimml Falls in Austria

Jan 27th, 1999, 06:33 AM
Jim

Krimml Falls in Austria

Are the falls in Krimml visible from the village or must one do some hiking to view them. We are going with an elderly couple and it would not be possible to do much hiking. Would appreciate any information you have on this area. Thanks, Jim

Jan 27th, 1999, 11:19 AM
Richard

Jim, As I recall, the falls are not visible from the village. A short, pleasant walk through the woods on a wide smooth path will take you to the foot of the falls. The fall kind of winds it's way down the mountain so one must hike a relatively steep path to get the full impact.

Jan 27th, 1999, 02:13 PM
Jim

Richard, thanks for the information. It seems as though we could navigate the first path to get back to the base of the falls and that might be a nice side trip. We can check out the other path at the time and determine if then if we should tackle that one. Thanks, again, for you reply. Jim

Jan 27th, 1999, 04:05 PM
topoftheworld

Gentlemen: I was in Krimml last fall, and yes, you can see the falls from the village, but you have to walk about 50' so that the village itself is not in the way. You can also see them from miles away when driving into the area.

Krimml is a tiny town with a population of 800, one bookstore, three inns and one pizza place, and a licensed massage therapist! He told me he is very busy during Ski season. Mine was one of only two rooms occupied in the entire town.

The first part of the walk is easy, but it does get steep after a while. The falls are roughly the height of a twenty-three story building, but even from the first or second tiers, you
can enjoy this magnificient sight

I spent a night there and left the next day for Zell am See. I should have stayed put.

Jan 27th, 1999, 05:02 PM
Al

We stayed with a family (B&B) near Krimml and climbed on the path up past the falls, huffing and puffing. Then the trail meanders across meadows alongside a stream for about three miles until we came to a bierstube, filled with beer-drinking Austrians. Next to the tavern...a cab stand. The cab will take you back by road to Krimml. But the climb up past the waterfall is very exciting, tho steep. The great cataract lies only a few feet off the trail, and you become soaked with the spray. One of our best memories of Austria.