let's talk about Rome...

Search

let's talk about Rome...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
let's talk about Rome...

just because... because it's a Thursday in early September and I want to go on vacation again!

I've got 3 guidebooks. I've got Elaine's fabulous file. I've printed out the top 100 things about Rome.

what are some of the quirkier things you've done/seen/experienced in Rome?

also, Virgin being my favorite airline I am planning to secure tickets on them (might even stop off in London for 3 days, we're sorting things out) - I gotta look into their sched coming back from Rome to head back to IAD (via London), or then again we can Easyjet into/out of Rome & just use Virgin to/from London.

anyway, have a nice day everyone! feel free to post Rome thoughts here.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 06:21 AM

Rome is not a city; it is an attitude. It is contrasts--bustling, busy and quiet and reflective all at the same time.

Its treasures lie within the little picnic you have in the Parco Borghese, the fountain you see that is your favorite, the reverence and to beauty of all kinds and to art of all kinds--that includes culinary arts. Although the Romans have mastered efficiencies of various kinds, they realize that living itself is an art, and should be relished and savored, not rushed through.

The masterpieces of Rome are in St. Peter's Basilica, the Borghese Gallery, and the Gelateria of San Crispino. They lie within the cobblestones of the very streets, and the plane trees lining the Tiber.

I have never failed to visit Rome and find a sense of inner peace there. It cannot be explained, it must simply be experienced.

Ciao, Bella!

BC
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 11:50 AM

After you've seen them, get as far AWAY from the Spanish Steps, the Navonna, the Popolo, etc., etc., as possible and try to experience the OTHER great parts of Rome, too
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 11:56 AM

bookchick, you nearly made me cry!! Thats was so eloquent. I'm going to Rome in mid-novermber and can't wait...
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 11:57 AM

Okay, Topman. Good idea - now tell us about those other great places.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

ssachida, we may just miss you! we are looking at the week of Thanksgiving. starting to look at London for the first weekend/through Monday or Tues, then on to Rome for the remainder.

round and round and round she goes, where she stops, nobody knows.

Bookie, I agree - how eloquently beautiful! Ciao Bella back atcha! (howzat for 'tude?)
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 12:30 PM

BC, that was absolutely beautiful..I can feel the great love that you have for my beloved city..
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 01:19 PM

That was very lovely, BC!

<i>The masterpieces of Rome are in St. Peter's Basilica, the Borghese Gallery, and the Gelateria of San Crispino.</i>

Very nice. I'll have to make a pilgrimage to San Crispino next time. Is love between a man and gelato a sin?

<i>They lie within the cobblestones of the very streets, and the plane trees lining the Tiber.</i>

Although I don't care for the Tiber overall, you touched on my favorite part, the plane trees which line it. One of my favorite sections for this is on the Rome side of the Tiber, across from Tiber Island.