Kosher food in Rome

Search

Kosher food in Rome

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2003, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kosher food in Rome

Has anyone been to Rome recently and eaten at any kosher restaurants? Also, if anyone has toured il Ghetto - did you go alone or with a guide? I'm trying to plan a trip for the end of July and have lots of questions, so thanks!!
Old May 21st, 2003, 07:59 AM
Jed

No - I haven't been to Rome. But for kosher restaurants, go to kosherfinder.com
Old May 21st, 2003, 08:10 AM

We did not tour il ghetto other than walking around in it..but did take the synagogue tour which I think is worth it. I think Piperno is supposed to be great!
Old May 21st, 2003, 08:20 AM

Been to the Ghetto many times but never on a tour. It is easy to walk around by yourself and several guidebooks have "walks" around the Ghetto to follow. I've eaten at Piperno and it was very good. Other places in the Ghetto to try are da Gigetto, Sora Margherita and il Sanpetrino.
Old May 21st, 2003, 08:35 AM

Try http://shamash.org/kosher
Old May 21st, 2003, 08:50 AM

Hello
Piperno and many others are Jewish-style restaurants but are not kosher.
Use the recommended websites.
Old May 21st, 2003, 08:55 AM

Hi
I meant to add, there is, sadly, not much of Jewish history to see in the Rome Ghetto (unlike the Venice ghetto, for example)
The synagogue in Rome offers tours.
Even a walking tour is more likely to point out sites like
"at this location there USED to be..."

Museo di Arte Ebraica, Lungotevere Cenci, Ghetto, phone 06 6875051, closed Sat. Admisssion includes visit to the Sinagoga. Entrance is at via Plebiscito 112. At the end of via del Portico is Ponte Quattro Quattro Capi, San Gregorio church. Bears an inscription in Latin and Hebrew asking Jews to convert to Catholicism.

www.jewishroutes.com/ click on food for kosher restaurants
http://www.catacombsociety.org/visit...ishmuseum.html Jewish museum in Rome
http://www.catacombsociety.org/visit...-Torlonia.html Jewish catacombs in Rome
Old May 21st, 2003, 09:19 AM

Do not forget to see the VIa Tasso former prison. It was one of the places where Jews and antifascists were detained during the nazis occupation, now it is a museum.
Old May 21st, 2003, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Thankyou all so much for such quick responses! I have gone on the website Shamash but a lot of the reviews are old and I've heard the restaurants go in and out of business very quickly. Do any of you know whether the gelato (on the street) is kosher? I have a friend from Milan and she says as long as the gelato is not boxed she eats it.
Looking forward to more advice!
Old May 21st, 2003, 09:51 AM

Non boxed gelato might be or not be kosher, depends on how well-made it is. Well-made gelato is kosher, just made of milk or cream, sugar, and natural flavors (chocolate, vanille etc.), while fruit flavors are made of fruit juice and sugar. Yet many producers, even small "gelaterie" add thickning powders that might be derived from meat leftovers (carniccio) therefore making gelato non-khosher.
Why don't you contact Rome's jewish community ([email protected])? They ought to have all the informations you need abot where and what to eat.
Old May 21st, 2003, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Elaine- you are being sooo helpful!! If you have any more advice I would love to hear from you! I will be alone with my 3 kids and I just don't want to spend the whole time (we have only 3 days) worrying about food - it can make things very unpleasant to have 3 hungry children! So thanks so much and I am going to check the website right now!
Old May 21st, 2003, 12:14 PM

I recommend Mrs. Labi's place listed at Shamash.org. She serves home cooked kosher meals in her large apartment. Also, of Jewish historical interest, don't miss the Arch of Titus which depicts Jewish captives from Jerusalem marching into Rome with the the Temple Menorah. Rumor has it still in the Vatican basement, but good luck finding it.
Old May 25th, 2003, 06:27 PM

Last October I ate at the Taverna del Ghetto (I think I am remembering the name right) which is a kosher meat restaurant. I thought it was pretty good.

M
Old May 26th, 2003, 05:49 PM

We did a walking tour of the Jewish ghetto from the Rome Walking Tours guide book. It was not very worth while as there was a lot of detail without anything to really see which related to the narrative. There is however a kosher restaurant in the Jewish Ghetto which looked promising.
Old May 27th, 2003, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. I found a good website - kashrut.com - which lists the kosher restaurants. Mrs. Labi sounds like an interesting option - did you enjoy eating there?
Old May 27th, 2003, 09:11 AM

Yes, rq, my wife and I enjoyed an excellent dinner at Mrs. Labi's, along with interesting conversation around the table with Mrs. Labi and other tourists.
Old May 27th, 2003, 09:29 AM

There's a good self-guided walking tour of the Ghetto in the book "Romewalks."
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

I hope this message reaches you, Elaine (or anyone who knows). I was wondering if you could recommend a hotel near the synagogue where we could stay for the Sabbath? We have reservations at the Hotel Mozart for the weekdays but a friend told me its at least a half hour walk from there to the Ghetto. Is Mrs. Labi's near the synagogue?
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Mrs. Labi lives on Via Imperia. I don't think that's near the Ghetto, is it? On the Shamash database it says its near the University Center.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 06:53 AM

Contact Rome's jewish community ([email protected]). you may also call the, the number is in the Rome white pages, look for "Comunità ebraica".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -