Search

Konzerthaus Vienna Dress Code

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Konzerthaus Vienna Dress Code

Hello everyone,

I am leaving in a little more than a week for my european adventure this year. This year the itinerary is Paris, Vienna, and Prague. While I am in Vienna I am going to a concert at Konzerthaus. I am very much looking forward to this; however, I am a bit worried about the dress code for such an event. I am not planning on bringing a ball gown or a full length formal. If anyone there has gone, what is the dress code? The concert is the evening Mozart Orchestra / Konzerthaus - Great Hall. I am planning on a pair of black slacks, a nice shirt, and a black sweater (if needed).

Thank you...
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 08:02 PM

It all depends on A) where you will be sitting or standing and B) how thick your skin is.

As a tourist/visitor you can go as you like, and on the cheaper seats especially you will see many casually dressed people anyway.

Now if you spring for really expensive tickets and find yourself among the glitterati, that's where the thick skin comes into it.

But since you go to cultured cities (Paris, Vienna, Prague) I'm sure you won't be in safari suits or mountain-climber getups, so keep it nice and neutral and in muted colors and nobody will mind.

Enjoy!
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! And yes, I sprung for the expensive ticket. I figured I would only ever go once, so I had better make the most of it. And yes, NO safari suits or mountain climbing warm up suits going on this trip. LOL! I figured black was pretty neutral and can be dressed up/down.
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 12:19 AM

I believe the above poster does not know the Konzerthaus or the Mozart Orchestra. These concerts are marketed to tourists. This is not the Musikverein or the State Opera. No dress code and no need for formal wear.
Thus the audience most times relatively casually dressed. Wear what you have planned.
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 09:25 AM

"...does not know the Konzerthaus..."

hold on a minute, look at the programs, I don't think this is a trashy concert for ill-clad tourists:
Wiener Symphoniker / Dmitrij Kitajenko
Daniel Hope spielt Dmitri Schostakowitsch
Am 6. Oktober 2010 im Großen Saal

or this:

Klavierabend Ivo Pogorelich
Werke von Beethoven, Brahms, Skrjabin und Rachmaninow
Am 12. Oktober 2010 im Großen Saal

I have been to the venerable Musikverein when there was a Mozart concert in period costumes and wigs, with tourists taking flash pictures throughout, I know that happens.

But your statement about the Konzerthaus is not justified, just look at the season program, these are real classy classical programs, not the tourist "shows".
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 10:09 AM

The poster refers directly to an evening of the Mozart orchestra in the venue of the Konzerthaus. My comments if one looks a little are regarding the question posed by the original poster.
This orchestra in wigs and costumes plays a similar program with minor changers at various venues in Vienna. These are marketed to tourists and most all seats are occupied by tourists . Naturally in all manners of dress - most casually dressed.
The venue hosts other concerts too but this was not the subject of the question.
The Mozart Orchestra certinly not one of the best that Vienna has to offer.
Anyone can research a year program . I believe living in Vienna , I may know just a little more about the music venues of the city.
It is another thing to have actually attended. Certainly the concerts mentioned above would probably attract many less tourists and would have an audience of more local people dressed in a manner other than a tourist.
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 12:50 PM

You are so right, I need new reading glasses, didn't see the Mozart Orchester reference - mea culpa and apologies. Yes, dressing up will indeed be overkill, it is precisely the kind of show I was referring to as being more show than concert. My head hangs in shame..
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

You both make me feel as though I have selected some sort of "Disney Land" concert to attend. I certainly thought that I was doing something right in selecting this concert, as there was nothing listed in September for Musikverein when I bought the ticket. I certainly wanted to choose a classical event and stay clear of the touristy, less professional concerts. What to do now???
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 07:39 PM

Sell your ticket to some tourists on the way to the ticket counter.

I'm sorry but it really is a razzamattazzy "show", you're better off looking for a real concert. I attended it for the same reason - I wanted to hear the acoustics of the famous Musikverein, thinking it was just going to be a concert of predictable Mozart bonbons - which it was, but the audience never stopped talking, took flash photos, wandered in and out during the playing - just awful.

Maybe you'll have better luck here:

http://www.wienerphilharmoniker.at/i...et_language=en

http://www.wiener-symphoniker.at/Hom...S/Default.aspx

www.wsk.at/jart/prj3/wsk_website/main.jart

www.hofburgorchester.at/
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 10:31 PM

If you will be in Vienna over a Sunday, combine music and art at the Liechtenstein Museum. The music is not tourist-oriented schlock. The building is a stunner, the art is beautiful (if you like Baroque) and it's well worth an afternoon. The music programs are included on the museums' web site.

http://www.liechtensteinmuseum.at/en/pages/2701.asp