Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Koln - Evaluating a job possibility in Koln - Germany

Old Jun 14th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to have basic information about Köln to help me decide on moving.

Estimated cost of school to a four years old child?
Orientation of schools were I can find courses of German for foreigners.
Information about the different places to live - caracteristics of the neighborhood, cost of living.
If you have more informations for me, I appreciate it, because me and my family are trying to make a hard decision among staying in Brazil (our home country) and moving definantly to Koln.

Thanks,

Cristina
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 03:19 PM

There is probably an international expat association of some sort in Köln. These used to called American Women's Clubs but have broadened out. They were all over Europe in major metro areas. Google expat Köln and try to find one. They usually publish booklets for new arrivals. Worth their weight in gold.

When we lived in Germany we studied German at the local Volkshochschule in the evenings. Your kid will be in a kindergarden, if you can get admission. If your husband has a job offer and can get a working permit the chances are that you will not be able to get a working permit. It was one per family when we were there, even though my wife had a job offer.
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 03:51 PM

http://www.toytowngermany.com/ may be useful.
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Spaarne, really?! One per family? My husband has an offer to a job there. That's what we are evaluating. But actually, I intended to look for a job after 6 months study of German. I have a good job here but we are looking for life quality. Well, I'll look for more informations about work permition. How long since you left Koln?
Do you know how dificult it is to get admission to the kindergarden? Is it private institution or governmental? I don't know if it is paid of and neither how much would cost? I'm just starting the studies about koln, as you can see. If you have any information about people and culture, I would apreciate. Thanks for the informations above. It helped a lot. Cristina
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Quokka. I'm in the web site. Very useful, actually. Thanks again! Cristina