Search

KLM, anyone???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 08:41 AM
Rocio

KLM, anyone???

A travel agent found me a "good deal" for a round from Dallas-Ams. for $600.00 through KLM. She says it is the best european airline, how true is this? I have never heard much of KLM and am wondering if anyone outhere has had experience with it? Many thanks.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 08:54 AM
Ed

KLM is a satisfactory, average, middle of the pack carrier. It's hardly the best, but far from the worst.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 09:01 AM
Josh

KLM is Northwest's international partner. Their home hub is Amsterdam. I think your travel agent is trying to make a sale. They're OK; certainly not the best. IMO, British Air is the best, but I usually end up with best rates on KLM as we fly out of Detroit.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 09:10 AM
Arthur

I usually fly KLM as most of my FFMiles are on Northwest. I find them quite good, one of the better, but then I've not flown Virgin or British Air. They are cettainly better than United or Southwest IMO. <BR>

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 09:12 AM
Jim Rosenberg

I agree with the other posters. In your particular case, you should feel no hesitation to book with KLM -- they are certainly a solid carrier.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 09:48 AM
Rocio

To everyone that has replied thank you very much. I'm content if the service is alright and as long as its not as bad as American or United airlines. Thanks.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 01:21 PM
Kevin

I flew KLM recently, and while the leg they flew was fine, the Northwest return leg was cramped and crowded (and smelly, as they didn't seem to bother cleaning the bathrooms.).

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 09:26 PM
April

KLM used to be my favourite airline but the flights I was on to and from Amsterdam were the most uncomfortable, cramped I've ever taken. I'm only 5'2" but I had to bend in a zigzag shape to get out of my seat.

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 05:03 AM
Sjoerd

April, which seat did they give you? I am 6'4" and am OK in a KLM seat. <BR>KLM is an average European airline, IMO better than British or Alitalia and on par with Swissair, SAS, Air France or Lufthansa. <BR>If we talk averages, in terms of service and friendliness Asian airlines are still the best and North American airlines the worst.

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 09:35 AM
April

Sjoerd, I don't remember the seat number but they were all the same on that plane. Maybe it was a (un)special low fare arrangement?

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 10:04 AM
John

KLM and Northwest operate "code sharing" flights, where a flight number looks like one airline but the service is provided by the partner carrier. In all likelihood your DFW-AMS service will be on NWA equipment, probably with a change of planes in Detroit or Memphis. In my experience NWA's planes tend to be older and with higher seating densities than KLM's. You should check with your agent or call the NWA number to see which is the case. I just looked at Expedia, and frankly $600 from DFW to AMS is not all that low a fare; there are some less than $550 for travel in May, for example.