Kitzbuehl

Aug 17th, 1999, 10:42 PM
Karen

Kitzbuehl

We are going to be in Austria for 6 nights with our 7 month old daughter before we go to Tuscany. We are planning on spending the first 3 nighs in Salzburg in order to give her time to adjust to the time change. We then wanted to stay the next 3 nights in one location. We have heard nice things about Kitzbuehl and wondered if this would be a good choice. We would like something that feels very Austrian/Tyrolian and on the smaller side since we will have been in Salzburg. Is this a good choice, or would you recommend another location?

Aug 18th, 1999, 03:20 PM
Karen

Bringing this back to the top. Please help.

Aug 18th, 1999, 03:21 PM
Karen

Please help!

Aug 18th, 1999, 07:53 PM
Brian

I spent a week in Kitzbuehl skiing but outside of that I am not sure what there is to do there except for outdoor type activities. It was a very pretty, typical Austrian town.
I have also heard good things about Zell am See or Hallstatt, which is a very popular destination in Austria. Any guidebook has lots of information and it is fairly easy to get there from Salzburg (although getting to Italy from there by train could be hard).

Aug 19th, 1999, 05:27 AM
Paulo

You don't say when you're going, Karen. I went to Kitzbühel many times in the winter, for skiing. The big town/little city tends to be packed in winter. We have also been there many times in the summer (a couple of times for 3/4 hours, on route from Salzburg to the Italian Tyrol, and a couple of times staying over with relatives). IMO Kitzbühel is a gorgeous town, specially if the sun is shining. People are very friendly. I love to sit at a cafe in the afternoon just watching people. There are dozens of very nice hiking trails. If you decide to stay there, I'm sure you won't be disapointed. Since you're staying 3 days, you may do some side trips to Zell am See (2 hours round trip), Innsbruck (2 1/2 hours round trip), Krimmier Wasserfälle (waterfalls - 1:45 hr round trip), etc. If there's good weather and you're not in a hurry when driving south to Italy, take the route that passes through Heiligenblut and the Grossglockner.

Paulo

Nov 9th, 1999, 12:45 PM
Wendy

Kitzbuehl is a beautiful little Austrian town. It's relaxing and friendly, and I enjoyed my 2 night stay very much. It may make a nice contrast to Salzburg since it's much smaller. You may want to make a day trip or two, since there may not be much to do with a 7-month old baby.

Nov 16th, 1999, 08:39 PM
mark

Paulo's right...it depends when you're going to Kitz. I skiied there in '96 and it's beautiful. The hiking trails are great and you can enjoy a horse-drawn sleigh ride also. Depending on budget, try the Strashofer Hotel. For day trips, Zell am See is great and you can take the Kitzenstein gondola in next door Kaprun up to the glacier for a spectacular view.