kid kicking seat

Mar 28th, 2001, 05:02 PM
huggy

kid kicking seat

I like kids fine but got so tired of being kicked, bumped and the loud screaming noise of 2 girls. Anyone had to deal with this? What can you do? I got so tired of asking mom/kid to stop hitting and kicking my seat. The brat would stop for a few minutes and then start again. Even after the flight attendant told her she did not listen. Mom did not care. It was a full flight so I there was no where to put the rude screaming brats. How did you handle this?

Mar 28th, 2001, 05:11 PM
Jean

My first trip to Europe 6 years ago, On Alitalia airlines, I was treated to 2 kids kicking the back of my seat, just as most everyone was settling in trying to get a few winks.

I thought about it for awhile, then decided I better be very polite, so I turned to the Mother and said, "I'm sure you don't realize this, but your children are kicking my seat which makes it difficult for me to sleep." To which Mom replies, "Oh, I'm sorry." and makes the kids stop. I say "Thank you."

A few minutes later, Dad returns to his seat (must have gone to the lavoratory), and I don't know what was said between Mom & Dad (they were whispering), but suddenly he yells out.
"The H--l with that...let's keep them awake." Turns on all the lights, talks loudly, and tells his kids to kick away.

Can you believe? I was flabbergasted, but decided with such a jerk, the best thing to do was be quiet and ignore them. 30 minutes later, the kids were worn out.

Mar 28th, 2001, 09:55 PM
ldsant

Honestly, I just do not understand this. I swear, if the planes can have different sections based upon flying status, why can't they figure out how to have a children/family non-family section? Boy, these two stories just amaze me. . .what's wrong with people these days? What has happened to common courtesy?

Mar 29th, 2001, 03:08 AM
cb

Would you believe, I encountered a mature middle-aged very-well built lady
who kicked the back of my seat with her knee. Even my son seated next to me noticed it, we looked at each other, then he looked behind. The lady's husband must have noticed it too and apologized explaining she had a bad knee. Huh ???!! Fortunately for me, they both moved to other seats.

Mar 29th, 2001, 04:21 AM
Kaky

I saw one woman who -- maybe not intentionally -- had a solution. She had tried the "I'm sure you don't realize it, but when you kick...." ploy but the kid kept doing it. [Side comment: sometimes I think it's an effort on the kid's part to get attention from the brain-dead, neglectful, self-absorbed parents.]

Each time the kid kicked the seat, she jumped up and said "OH!" or "OUCH!" or "OH MY GOODNESS" really loudly. The first two times, the kid and parents smirked, but after that they started to get embarrassed and worried, and the flight attendants came over to ask what was happening. The flight attendants --_*_bless them_*_ gave the family a little lecture about kicking the back of the seats.

Mar 29th, 2001, 04:50 AM
Donna

Kids (adults, too) do this without realizing it. Once they've stopped, the reflexes get going again. Coming home from Paris, two young French girls kept banging the back of our seats. So, we just switched seats with them. No guarantee, of course, that the folks in the next row back aren't kickers, too. But, we got lucky.

Mar 29th, 2001, 07:12 AM
mbb

I will be traveling to Europe with my two children 7 and 10. As a parent, I cannot imagine allowing my children to be so discourteous but I see examples of this everyday. It is one one the first rules of travel for us.
Jean: I would have lost it! I took my children to an IMAX film and a grown woman put her feet on TOP of my child's seat on the side of his head. I went ballistic and she could not understand why.

Mar 29th, 2001, 01:39 PM
ldsant

MBB:

*Sigh* Why can't you give parenting lessons to the other parents out there like huggy encountered?! I thank you and applaud you! Have a great trip!

Mar 29th, 2001, 01:41 PM
ldsant

Sorry - the send button was hit too soon. I also meant to say that lately I have really made a point of going up to moms who have these well-behaved children and telling them how wonderful it is and what a good job they must doing to have such well-behaved children. The look on the moms' face is just amazing!

Mar 29th, 2001, 06:17 PM
Austin

Simple solution:

Sit in the last row.

Mar 29th, 2001, 07:01 PM
Jim Rosenberg

As some have said, it isn't just the kids. How about the morons who walk down the aisle while passengers are sleeping and grab each and every seat back on both sides of the aisle, jostling the occupants as they make their way back and forth to the restrooms?

Mar 29th, 2001, 07:15 PM
Deena

I can relate to you, Jim, about people grabbing the back of the seat in front of them to get up. I had a lady grab my seat so hard that she caught a big chunk of my hair an pulled it very hard. I glared at her and she seemed clueless. I also had an experience where a very active, very loud, very hyper little boy who not only kept kicking the back of my chair and pushing the tray up and down very hard, he actually stuck a fork in the back of my neck. I grabbed the child's hand which still had the fork in it and explained to his parents that they needed to teach their child manners. They didn't even apologize! Amazing!

Mar 29th, 2001, 07:28 PM
audflash

While on a flight to Paris, I was unfortunate enough to sit in front of a 6' (or more!) young man. I spent the entire flight with my seat in the full upright position out of courtesy to him. He repaid me by grabbing my seat each time he got up to use the restroom - no joke, at least two dozen times. Of course, several times he grabbed my hair while he was jerking my seat back. My companion and I determined that he was either sick or drunk - either way, I just kept quiet and eventually he fell asleep (or passed out!)
Audrey