Reload this Page >

Khaki's in Italy

Search

Khaki's in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 10:28 AM
scacc

Khaki's in Italy

I keep reading that black is the way to go in Italy. Like most typical American's we have a lot of khaki colored pants and now we are wondering if we will stick out like sore thumbs on our trip (Rome, Florence, and Venice). Our plan was to stick with Khaki bottoms and dark colored sweaters and/or shirts. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 10:35 AM
r

Why not? No you will not stick out like sore thumbs and maybe you'll even set some new trends there. A nice pair of Abercrombie Khakis look really good for travel,IMHO. Besides, Rome, Florence, and Venice are very crowded places and almost no one sticks out.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 11:48 AM
Nancy

When I am in Europe I can always spot a fellow American because so many wear khaki pants with white tennies and white socks. Nothing wrong with it, but it comes in handy when I need to speak English to someone. You will see for yourselves when you get there.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 11:57 AM
Aga

Scacc said nothing about white socks and tennies. Besides, it's our all-American look and I say, what's wrong with that?

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 12:08 PM
Jake

Our family travels to Europe twice a year, and neither of us has ever worn white socks or sneakers. We have always dressed as we do at home, dressy casual - with style & class. So, please stop your stereotyping.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 12:29 PM
Vita

I remember last October, standing by Trevi Fountain in the midst of the crowds and thinking about threads like this on this forum. There were so many people there, you could hardly see the forest for the trees. The whole notion that anyone is going to notice or care about what you're wearing is ridiculous. And why would you care about anyone that would? Just dress comfortably and be yourself. <BR><BR>The only thing you might want to concern yourself with is pickpockets, but if you're in the heavily touristed areas, they're going to assume you're a tourist anyway. Bright colors might attract their attention, but I can't imagine that khaki's would.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 12:51 PM
Hip

One day I walked through Rome in my very standard Gap khaki pants and everyone was looking at me. I saw children pointing a laughing and everytime I tried to ask a question the people would be smiling try to hold back the laughter while looking down at my light colored pants. The Italians walked around in their jet black pants which were tight as could be, revealing more than I wanted to see, like they were going to a dance club or something. Most of the stores refused to help me because of my pants and one time they refused to seat me in a restaurant since they did not allow people to wear what he refered to as "pigiami" which I think means pajamas. Embarrased I purchased some lycra tight black pants which were way too tight but the stares immediately stopped. Relieved a continued my travels in Rome.<BR><BR>Actually, NO ONE even noticed since many people wear kahkis and everytime I go I think of these crazy posts and how this myth is perpetuated by Americans who overly concerned about looking like a native. Some things you may like to imitate about the natives, classy clothing, but others you may not, such as showing your genitalia through your really tight clothing. So be yourself and you will not stand out. You may stand out if you try in imitate the natives and fail.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 01:00 PM
KT

Aaaarghhh--I can't stand it anymore. Italians wear khakis. They even wear sneakers and jeans sometimes. They do not wear black all the time. I have been fortunate enough to stay with a number of real, live, normal Italians in places ranging from Trento to Bologna to Perugia to Rome. This image of super-chic, super-skinny, black-clad Italians does not represent all Italians. Furthermore, I have never had a single Italian laugh at my American clothes.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 01:09 PM
Nancy

I didn't say they would laugh or that anything was wrong with khakis. I just meant that you will notice that alot of Americans and British citizens weoe khaki and white shoes and socks. Is there something wrong with that? I wear them too, so there.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 02:04 PM
scacc

Thanks to those of you who weren't being smart in your comments. The point of this post is so that we don't stick out to gypsies and the such. I could care less what people think about Americans because I would rather be an American than anything else!

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 02:27 PM
me

I've seen lots of stylish Italian men wearing khakis. I do think they tend to wear them differently than in the US - I mainly see them worn with dark leather shoes, button down shirts and casual sweaters, sort of a Euro-preppy look.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 02:37 PM
jt

If you're not olive toned and dark haired you're going to stand out. ( Even though I do know a fair skined red haired Italian - from Venice ) You're a visitor. If pickpockets are able to steal wallets without being detected do you really think wearing black is going to fool them? Take precautions so you can enjoy yourself. Wearing black will not camoflauge you.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 03:08 PM
Nancy

Boy, you are all so touchy on this subject. You will notice alot of Americans in khakis with and without white tennies and socks. <BR>You can still be a proud American no matter what you wear, but I still think you will be able to tell fellow Americans whether they are wearing khakis or not. <BR>Here in Phoenix, alot of tourists wear khakis too.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 03:21 PM
Bob

I love these clothing posts! We lived in Europe in the early 70s while I was in the Army and just wore what we could afford.<BR><BR>Never any problems.<BR><BR>We have now made about 25 trips back in the last 30 years and still wear what we are comfortable wearing. <BR><BR>Never any problems.<BR><BR>Just dress like you want to. If you are a slob in the US (and they now out number the rest of us) dress like a slob and have a good time as Europe has slobs also. If you like to dress classy, do so. <BR><BR>I still don't know where the dress in black deal comes from. I really have to pay more attention on my next trip. I think some Fodorite made one trip and saw some black pants in Italy and reported home. <BR><BR>Trust me: Some Europeans dress well, some are slobs....same as here. Just relax and have fun. But do watch out for the pickpockets...they are better trained than you are!

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 03:25 PM
pam

I have to LOL at this. When I was in Italy last summer you saw everything from the stylish and chic to the bizzare and wild in dress.<BR>Yes, if you are going to the Opera or to a particuarly upscale restaurant you will want to dress conservatively and nicely. This doesn't mean it has to be a ballgown.<BR>For day wear it really doesn't make the slightest difference-except to the poster. If it makes a difference to YOU, then dress in a manner which is comfortable and casual. You don't have to wear jeans and sneakers to be comfortable.You shouldn't go out of your way to look like you are going to work in the yard, but if you DID look like this- no one cares.<BR>Everyone (and I mean everyone) wears khakis there (including the oh so svelte and stylish owner of the palazzo I stayed in).<BR>Hope this helps.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 05:09 PM
r

Bob; "And they now out number the rest of us"!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I couldn't agree with you more. LOL

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 05:32 PM
mimi taylor

So many French wear khakis and tans, they wear leather shoes or duck and look more polished. And so many Italians. Mr Bennetoni wears as his uniform khakis or tans and likes blue button down shirts.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 05:38 PM
Joan

Folks don't like to think that khakis don't stick out like sore thumbs, but they do, especially in the cities. It's like wearing shorts in New York. Generally people in Europe cities wear dark colors-black, brown, gray but lighter colors in summer resort areas.<BR>If you want blend in a little more wear darker colors, obviously they'll look clean longer too! I like to wear comfortable clothes that will stand up to travel but it doesn't have to be khakis. I'm going to Malta and London soon; I plan to take wool pants, good looking black jeans, black lighter weight pants, and matching mostly black tops. I'll be ready for anything day or night.<BR><BR>You will stick out in khakis but maybe you don't care. If you are always eating early in very casual i.e.pizza places you'll be fine, but in general be prepared to sit in a corner by the kitchen and wait for a waiter if you wear khakis any where nicer.<BR><BR>Personally I've seen it time and time again where a bit less casual clothes-more blending in and respecting the general populations way of dressing gets better and friendlier service. Unless you are teenagers-in that case the more fun clothes the better-you will be more comfortable without the khakis. Rome, Florence, and Venice aren't resort areas even in the summer.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 06:20 PM
what

know? So many Italians wear Khakis in the summer, you have obviously not travelled.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 06:53 PM
nyer

Joan - having lived in NYC for 15 years now - I can assure you that lots of people wear shorts here. So go ahead an wrap yourself in your smug little attitude (only someone visitin the biiiig city, yea haw, would say good looking jeans)......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -