Kew Gardens ... how long to spend

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning to visit Kew Gardens either tomorrow or Sunday. If I go on Sunday, I was considering going around 4 in order to get a discounted ticket, and staying until closing ... 7:30. However, it's my understanding that greenhouses and galleries close at 5:30. Would this significantly impact my visit there, as it would mean not much to see/do after 5:30?

Also, is spending about 3.5 hours enough time, or should I spend more? Will I be herded out a little before closing, giving me even less time there?

Thanks.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 02:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Joe, I think it depends on how much of a gardening, plant or arbor enthusiast you are. You obviously have SOME interest but unless you're a big time fan, I think 3.5 hours will be enough time to get a feel for the place even if you can't see it all.

The greenhouses and galleries are interesting but, IMO, the real beauty is what's going on outside and there should be a lot in bloom this time of year.

Last year Kew was part of the 2 for 1 rail scheme. Can you talk a friend into going and split the ticket price? Then you can go earlier, tho I will say that on a pretty day the late afternoon light will make the gardens even lovlier (esp. if you are a photographer or a painter).

I can't answer the question about whether or not you'll get herded out at closing time. Hope not.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I take a bus in from Oxford, and there is other stuff I wanted to do in the morning anyway, so I wouldn't want to spend a full day at Kew anyway. But thanks very much for your detailed response.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 02:41 PM

For an overview of Kew, and if you are a brisk walker, 3 1/2 hours is quite enough.

IMHO, green houses are not the only interesting part of Kew, there are so many other parts worth visiting: such as the conservtion area, riverside walk, and part of the area designed by Capability Brown,..etc.

It is a pity the bluebell woods around Queen Chalotte's Cottage are over, but rhododendron Dell shall be still quite nice.

Perhaps you could start from Palm House, then go to Temperate House, these two greenhouses sahll take about an hour, afterwards, you could walk to the Japanese garden, then to the conservation area, then rhododendron Dell and Orangery. With long summertime daylight, it will be still quite enjoyable.

The well-known "Maids of Honour" tearoom is less than 5 minutes walk from Kew's entrance, perhaps you would like to go for an early tea (quite good, lovely room) ahead (but I am afraid they don't open on Sunday).