keeping safe in Lisbon

Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keeping safe in Lisbon

I was reading some virtualtourist.com travellers comments and was a bit alarmed about how many districts of Lisbon were described as no go zones.

I have stayed out late in other tourist places like Paris and Rome and managed to keep out of trouble by not displaying any signs of wealth.
any need for concern in Lisbon ?

also what is the local lingo in portugese for Excuse me? (as in let me pass?) thanks
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 04:41 PM

Hi Komrade,

I visited Lisbon last fall and managed to wander all over the city at night without any serious trouble. However, there are a few hashish pushers, and I was approached by one prostitute. I think I fit the "profile" they were looking for (lone male tourist). It was mildly annoying or amusing, depending on my mood.

The prostitute and the majority of the drug pushers were encountered in the Baxia. I didn't have many problems in other parts of the city I visited.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 06:14 PM

I never had any problems in Lisbon, but I was never alone on the streets too late at night. There were usually two or three of us, all women (all of us over 50, maybe that had something to do with it...).

Anyway, "excuse me" in Portuguese, as in let me pass, is: "com licença, por favor".
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 07:59 PM

My wife and I were in Lisbon for several days in April. We went everywhere and didn't have any problems.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 01:39 AM

Person_X writes: "The prostitute and the majority of the drug pushers were encountered in the Baxia. I didn't have many problems in other parts of the city I visited."

I have no first-hand knowledge of any 'bad' areas in Lisbon; but Carlos Ferreira, Co-Owner/Manager of Estrela do Saldanha Residencial told me it might be dangerous for me to go to some areas.

Sorry, I don't remember specific names of areas or neighborhoods, but as I recall, they were along the Metro and TranVia lines serving Oriente.