Reload this Page >

Kavey - Know Banbury Oxon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Leone

Hey, Kavey - I met a couple in S. Africa last october (we shared a ranger, tracker and Rover) from N. Newington, Banbury Oxon. We may visit. Can you describe this area, and tell me how far from London? And do you arrange/travel to Russia - I'm going and need hotel recs. for Moscow and St. Petersburg. Many thanks, and ciao. L

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 10:42 AM
kavey

Hi Leone<BR>It's about half way between London and Birmingham (does that help), a little further out than Oxford.<BR>I have taken the train to Oxford from London, though not for about 5 years, so I cant remember exact journey times, but not hugely long, 1 or 2 hours.<BR>But I don't know if Banbury is on the same line.<BR>Two useful sites are mapquest.com and also www.thetrainline.com<BR>Kavey

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Lori

We spent a day in Banbury about two yrs ago (day trip from London. We've seen most of the major sights and enjoy day tripping to lesser popular places. I think it took about 1 hr 20 min. or so from Marylebone Station. Train ride was nice, through farmland, small towns, etc. Banbury has a High Street full of the usual shops, gift stores, etc. The Banbury Cross is more or less in the center of town. The usual pubs, etc. abound.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 10:50 AM
kavey

Leone. <BR>Missed the last bit of your question.<BR>Although I work for Thomson, I work in the Systems division at the head office so I dont have any access to making travel arrangements.<BR>Secondly, I don't believe my company feature Russia anyway.<BR>SORREEEEEEEE...<BR><BR>Kavey<BR>(I have been a couple of times though

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 10:56 AM
janis

I lived in the UK (15 miles from Banbury) for 5 years. It is a wonderful base for seeing a LOT. it is within 30 miles or less of -- Oxford, Woodstock/Blenheim, most Cotswold villages, Stratford on Avon, Warwick, Sulgrave manor (the George Washington ancestral home) and many other places. You couldn't have a better base to visit that part of England.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 11:01 AM
janis

I meant to add theat North Newington is a small village SW of Banbury - it is 20 miles from Stratford, Chiping Campden and Stow on the Wold.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Tony Hughes

Kav<BR><BR>I thought Thomsons did a citybreak to Moscow?

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 12:14 PM
kavey

Oh shit, do we??<BR><BR>I think it would more likely be Thomson breakaway, which broke away (!) from the main company about 3 years ago, and now operate seperately.<BR><BR>Which was a bummer because before, I knew the folks in my building and could get extra unofficial discount rate bookings!<BR><BR>Leone, I will research it in any case and let you know anything I find.<BR><BR>Tony, is Carol still working for Thomson? (We discovered Tony's sister attended one of MY training courses a while back!!! weird).<BR><BR>I am waiting to find out if I am to be made redundant but I think resort based staff are safe?<BR><BR>Kavey

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 12:21 PM
Tony Hughes

Kav<BR><BR>Yes she is although she is currently wintering 'chez hughes' right now. Pretty sure she's been offered same/similar job in Sorrento for 2002. Usual unachievable targets set by German management I believe but until she gets a better offer, shes staying with Thomsons.<BR><BR>Using all her concessions (d'you get them?) to take her ma to canaries next week.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 12:24 PM
kavey

Yes, I get 2 per year, about 50% off for me and one travel companion.<BR><BR>I didnt think resort staff had been affected by the job losses.<BR><BR>We should take this off board...<BR><BR>Leone, I will get back to you...

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Tony Hughes

Yes, best done by email or I fear that Octopus may strike!!

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 12:32 PM
kavey

new email above.