Just wondering:"Are there pay-toilets in Rome,Venice & Cinque Terre?"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2003, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wondering:"Are there pay-toilets in Rome,Venice & Cinque Terre?"

Hello,
Good to know, better to find.
Thanks to those who know and who lived to tell about it.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 07:03 AM

I can only comment on Venice. They are far and few between there, but there are some. The main one I remember was behind the Correr Museum, down a little alley. It was clean, however.

When in Venice, we usually just stopped at an outdoor cafe for a drink and used the facitlies.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 07:04 AM

I forgot to mention that in most Italian cities, you will see signs that say "WC" which represents the restroom (water closet). There are also usually arrows pointing to the nearest ones.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 07:05 AM

Yes at train stations in both Rome and Venice. Also at some public places in Rome. However, don't recall having to pay at restaurants in either place.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 07:13 AM

Here's an article from a few years ago about public toilets in Venice

http://travelwithkids.about.com/gi/d...%5Ftoilets.htm
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 07:28 AM

I know that the train station in Manarola (Cinque Terre) has a WC, I don't remember having to pay and I don't remember it being nasty (which I'm sure I would have)!
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 10:46 AM
lyb

There are some everywhere, it's a joke with my friends that I'm always going to the bathroom and I never had any problems finding public bathrooms. Yes, you have to pay, but it's not like you have to have coins to open the stall door, you just pay the attendant and it's only 20 - 50 cent euros. I found all the bathrooms in Italy clean and was glad to pay to have clean bathrooms. I'd gladly pay for using a bathroom in the USA and have clean bathrooms.

Also, our Tour Director, advised us that most bars/caffes will usually let you use their toilets, they do prefer if you buy something, but you can buy a very cheap thing and use their bathrooms.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 11:16 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I do remember pay public toilets in Venice, but can't tell you just where they were. Simply saw signs.

Normally when we wanted a bathroom, we'd find a place & sit for awhile and have a glass of wine or a sandwich in a cafe and use the facilities there.

I would disagree with the advice given by a Tour Director above about using the bathrooms in bars/cafes. In several places you had to ask for the key, and clearly this was a customers-only thing.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 11:19 AM

In Rome, there are some right near the Spanish Steps, and also at the central train station. I am not acquainted at all with the Cinque Terre, and have no recollection of using a WC in Venice other than at our hotel or in a restaurant.

Buon Pipee,
BC
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 11:24 AM
lyb

Suze,

>> would disagree with the advice given by a Tour Director above about using the bathrooms in bars/cafes. In several places you had to ask for the key, and clearly this was a customers-only thing.<<

I'm sorry you had that experience, we had never to ask a key, and I know that you had that problem, but our tour director is Italian and lives in Italy, so given that she's there 365 days a year, I think, she might know what she's talking about.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 11:29 AM
LstFltOut

... ah, mais oui ... andare al gabinetti pubblici, e pagare, prego!

Old Aug 12th, 2003, 12:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
lyb - Really it wasn't a problem, I didn't mean to make it sound bad. But it was quite clear that not every cafe will let every person who asks use the bathroom. Did not mean to sound critical of the tour guides expertise, just slightly different from what I observed in only two trips to Venice.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 01:59 PM
dln

I was surfing around for Rome info this morning and came across some site--forget which--that stated that by law, the bathrooms in eating establishments must be available for use for anyone who asks, with no expectation to buy. However, I wonder if that sort of like establishments who have no admittance fee, but are run on donations. Technically you should be able to see whatever it may be FOR FREE, but you also know that more often than not, the donation is not expected, it is required.

Old Aug 12th, 2003, 02:31 PM
lyb

Suze,

>>lyb - Really it wasn't a problem, I didn't mean to make it sound bad. But it was quite clear that not every cafe will let every person who asks use the bathroom. Did not mean to sound critical of the tour guides expertise, just slightly different from what I observed in only two trips to Venice.<<

Ahh..the problems of interpreting emails... I didn't take as a critique, trust me, and I know that unfortunately, not all shopkeepers will be nice about it, they may have had a bad day, or the previous tourist flooded the toilet, and they've just had it... who knows..... friends again?
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 03:08 PM

May I extend this ? From Estonia to Bulgaria cafes and restaurants welcome you if you come in, say please or something like it, and toilet, pronounced tuwalet. Sometimes they hand you a key, sometimes not. Sometimes you pay a few pennies, mostly not. The same is true of London, where I often passs boarfds to say quote these toilets are for customers only unquote, boards that are there as ornamentation. Then on the way out I say thank you, or something like it. Aged 67, I am well placed to report this good news.

[email protected]
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 03:08 PM

May I extend this ? From Estonia to Bulgaria cafes and restaurants welcome you if you come in, say please or something like it, and toilet, pronounced tuwalet. Sometimes they hand you a key, sometimes not. Sometimes you pay a few pennies, mostly not. The same is true of London, where I often pass boards to say quote these toilets are for customers only unquote, boards that are there as ornamentation. Then on the way out I say thank you, or something like it. Aged 67, I am well placed to report this good news.

[email protected]
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 04:06 PM

I'll just throw in my 2 cents here. I have never had a problem using cafe/restaurant facilities anywhere in the world. However, I have always felt it more polite to at least order a drink or something simple for the favor. Even in the McDonald's chain.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 04:07 PM

I forgot to add...nothing against those who don't order something to use the facilities. Just an anal retentive thing of mine.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 04:16 PM

Prior to going there last year, I heard from a number of people that establishments in Italy are more likely to let people use their toilets without buying anyting than, say, in France.

But we usually bought something -- if only a can of lemon soda -- anyway as a way to express our appreciation. A small price to pay for big relief, IMO.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 04:49 PM

Buying a can of "lemon soda", Capo, in exchange for leaving...well, let's just say it sounds a great deal as if you're trading "like for like"!!!!

BC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -