Search

Just say NO to cell phones use on airplanes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2004, 05:42 AM
TC
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just say NO to cell phones use on airplanes

Gentle Travelers, At a meeting being held today, December 15th, the Federal Communications Commission is discussing possible revisions to rules prohibiting cell phone use on commercial flights.

I can't even begin to imagine the horror of being trapped in the middle seat between two business people making phone calls for hours and hours. Cell phones are annoying enough in restaurants and airport lounges.

One letter to CNN Money magazine even suggested that to allow cell phones increased the risk of violence on board planes due to confrontations between passengers.

Please take a moment to email all committee chairs at the FCC (at the following link) with your thoughts on this issue. Thanks.

http://www.fcc.gov/contacts.html

Link to CNN Money Magazine article:
http://cnnmoney.printthis.clickabili...partnerID=2200
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 05:46 AM

Er,

But some airlines have been selling calls via their own equipment for at least 6 years.

What is the difference ?

Peter
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 05:50 AM
TC
Original Poster

I believe the difference is cost. The airline phone calls are expensive and therefore limit some users. Unlimited use of personal cell phones would be different.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 05:50 AM

"can't even begin to imagine the horror of being trapped in the middle seat between two business people making phone calls for hours and hours" What would be worse would be the stupid "Hi what are you doing?" calls or the people who have to reach out and touch someone 24/7 because they are totally incapable of functioning on their own for 2 hours. Gee, do I sound bitter? Let's hope someone has the good sense to squish this before we have to listen to such dribble during a flight.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 05:53 AM
Cassandra

Peter, the difference is that people only used the in-seat phones in dire emergency because they carried heavy charges, were cumbersome to use, often didn't work, and worked spottily when they did.

Cellphone calls for many if not most are free, easy to use, have important numbers already programmed in, and presumably will keep a decent signal. Sadly enough, a better analogy is just orginary, over-loud, continuous conversation on a plane.

I strongly second the motion to keep them silent, esp. on overnight flights. I don't, however, have much hope that FCC or Congress or anyone else will vote to preserve a ban on them -- business travellers will squawk. But we can hope that airlines themselves will suggest cell-free hours or something similar on the planes -- or at the very least proactively urge courtesy and restraint.

Old Dec 15th, 2004, 05:53 AM

Peter,
Most people will not use the airlines phones due to the cost. That issue goes away with your cell phone.

I am already practicing my hang up the phone speeches. I really think this is going to lead to fights in the cabin when people are just fed up with Bubba and his great business deal.

(I once got on the plane with a snake oil salesmen selling some great cancer treatment in a bottle to some poor woman over the phone.."no you can't get this at the doctors, the doctors don't want you to know about it etc." The REAL MD next to me and I were just plane shocked and were having to restrain ourselves from grabbing the phone. If he had been allowed to continue much longer, I think we would have given in and taken his phone away from him!)
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 05:57 AM

Oh my god, that really is my idea of hell. It's bad enough on trains and buses but at least they tend to be short journeys.

If my phone ever rings when I'm on said bus or train, I make a point of saying very loudly that I'll call the person back when I get off because I don't want to annoy those around me by having a one-sided conversation. That usually makes a few people squirm, though not nearly enough, in my opinion! Honestly, we coped without the damn things 10 years ago, why can't people cope now..?!?
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 06:04 AM
TC
Original Poster

"But we can hope that airlines themselves will suggest cell-free hours or something similar on the planes -- or at the very least proactively urge courtesy and restraint."

No hope of that Cassandra. It is American Airlines in a venture with Qualcomm that is pushing "to attract business travelers". They are already giving demos.

Old Dec 15th, 2004, 08:28 AM

I can see it now: the FCC gives its approval and American Airlines (surprise!) immediately comes up with a section in Coach called "Premium Cell-Phone Free" which does not allow extra leg-room, better food, separate check-in, or bigger seats but what it DOES do is ban the use of cell phones.

Tell me there are people who wouldn't pay to sit there if the above recation is any measure of how folks feel about this issue.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 08:31 AM

If it is approved then get ready for "Premium Economy Cell Phone Free" seating which won't get you separate check-n, or extra leg room, or better food, or bigger seats, but WILL get you peace and quiet (somewhat) since cell phones (but not children) will be banned.

Innovated by American Airlines, of course.

If the reactions above are any measure of how this issue affects people, tell me there won't be folks willing to pay for this "convenience"????
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 08:39 AM

I bet you're right, Intrepid. The SNCF just recently started advertising its ZEN service - you guessed it, train compartments where you can't use electronic devices.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 08:52 AM

I find it amusing that the same people who feel it's their FAA-given right to recline into my space, howl when the sound of my voice might intrude on theirs.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 09:21 AM

The horror, the horror. It is bad enough on the LIRR everyday listening to these inane phone conversations - 'Hi where are you? I'm on the train and everyone can hear me so here's my life story'

Beam me up Scotty!
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Cassandra

Afraid you're absolutely right, TC, that's why I said "hope" but not "expect."

Rutt, I suspect there are at least as many people who think I have no right to recline my seat (or leave my window shade up) but are obliged to endure their terribly important cell phone conversations, because after all, it's business and time is money.....

Old Dec 15th, 2004, 09:34 AM

I'm with you, LoriNY.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 09:38 AM

Acording to the latest news update..high speed internet access was approved..but they will wait to see what public opinion has to say about cell phones1

Get out your pens and paper and start writing and emailing!
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 09:46 AM

About 95% of the cell-phone annoyance problem could be solved if the telephone providers and the media would just educate their customers. People! (the ads would read):

<b><font color="blue">It is not necessary to speak loudly for the person on the other end of the conversation to hear you clearly.</font></b>

The background noise where <u>you</u> are only makes it harder for <u>you</u> to hear <u>yourself</u>, not for the person you are conversing with to hear <u>you</u>.

Speaking in subdued conversational tones is totally adequate, and should be no more intrusive than someone conversing with a person sitting next to them.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 10:01 AM

HELLO! WHAT DID YOU SAY!!! CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW!!
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 10:05 AM

When we bought our train tickets from Cardiff to London, we were asked if we had cell phones. When we said &quot;no&quot;, they offered us seats in the cellphone free car. I loved it.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 10:19 AM

What a pathetic bunch of anti-social trappist monks you must all be.

Homo sapiens is a social animal. We talk to each other. That's how we learned to do and think all the things that make humans so much more important and interesting than anything else in the known universe.

Thanks to technology, we can talk to lots of people. And on my train, most people do that most of the time. Virtually all of them: the teenagers, the retired diplomats, the government ministers, the housewives, the social workers. Their conversations on mobile phones are mostly as inane - or coruscatingly fascinating - as any other human conversation. They're no louder than normal conversation. But because First Great Western listens to bleaters like you lot, 40% of the seats on our trains are now phone-free.

And guess what? Most people avoid these carriages for the socially crippled.

So at least you bunch of whingers have something to be said for you. It's now - admittedly at the price of not being able to tell Mrs F how late the train's running - possible to guarantee a seat on even the busiest train. By locking myself away in the Siberia FGW provide for people who find other people Hell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -