Reload this Page >

just returned from Paris, Venice, Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2000, 04:21 PM
frank keller

Just got back from a 2 week vacation beginning in Paris, then took the train to Venice (via Milan), then to Rome (with an overnight side trip to Sorrento,Capri),glad to ans. any questions. Frank Keller

Old Jul 16th, 2000, 04:29 AM
sera

Hi Frank: Just asked you under another topic about the Scavi tour. I'm interested in it, but unsure how to arrange it. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old Jul 16th, 2000, 08:58 AM
frank keller

Sera, The Scavi tour is limited to ten visitors per tour, so reservations are necessary. You can contact them by e-mail at [email protected] (ufficio Scavi: Fabbrica di San Pietro Fabbrica di San Pietro). Their mailing address is Excavations Office-00120 Vatican city State, (EUROPE) To get to the Scavi office approach the Swiss Guards in St Peter's Square (left side) and keep walking through two gates until you see the office. The cost is $8 per person and is in my opinion a must see while in Rome. This is a rare opportunity to experience an ongoing excavation of the early church. Best of luck, any problems getting through, e-mail me and I will try to get you more info. Frank

Old Jul 16th, 2000, 10:49 AM
Liad

Frank - <BR> <BR>I'm just starting to plan a trip for next May - we have never been. How much is reasonable to do in 2 weeks? The cities you mentioned sound wonderful, and I'm also interested in Paris, Vienna, Copenhagen and Amsterdam. (but not all of them for this trip). <BR> <BR>Do you have any suggestions? Are there any resources you recommend? <BR> <BR>thanks! <BR>

Old Jul 16th, 2000, 06:27 PM
Frank Keller

Liad, This also was my first time in Europe. I found the internet very helpful in checking out hotels. We stayed at the Concorde St. Lazare in Paris, the Metropole in Venice, and the Artemide in Rome. All were 4 star hotels and I would reccomend them all. Our trip lasted 13 days and it was a busy vacation to say the least. We spend 4 nights in Paris and took the Artesia train through Milan to Venice, stayed 2 nights and then trained to Rome, where we stayed 6 nights (during which we took an overnight tour to Sorrento,Capri,keeping our hotel rooms in Rome-tired of packing and unpacking). I also found Touringscope tours through the internet and booked a few 1/2 day and full day city tours in Paris. In Rome we booked 1/2 day tours in advance with VasTours (also the 2 day Sorrento tour)although there are plenty of local touring companies available for last minute bookings. Although my itinery was aggressive to say the least (there was 6 of us,including my mother-in-law),everything went like clockwork (thank God) and although we came home exhausted, we had a terrific time and it was truly a vacation of a lifetime. What I might do differently if I had it to do over is to go to florence and Assisi rather than Sorrento,Capri. I hope this made some sense. Frank