Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Just returned from 2 month europe trip- any questions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 1998, 07:00 AM
Stacy

Hi- I returned yesterday from a two month Europe trip. My trip included Amsterdam, Munich, Prague, Vienna, Graz, Salzburg, Venice, Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, Interlaken, Nice, Barcelona, Bordeaux, Bretagne area of France, and Paris. We stayed in a few hostels and a lot of inexpensive hotels. We did a lot of sightseeing and a little hiking. If anyone has any questions about anything, feel free to post a question or email me directly. Stacy <BR>

Old Aug 6th, 1998, 07:22 AM
Marianne Roberts

How expensive was Prague? <BR>By that I mean museums, resturants, theatres etc <BR> <BR>Marianne <BR>

Old Aug 6th, 1998, 08:23 AM
stacy

marianne- prague was extremely inexpensive- the most inexpensive place we went. We went on a bus tour of the city that included entrance to Prague Castle and it only cost $10 American dollars. Jewish Museum and cemetary was inexpensive also. The food is so inexpensive- three of us ate pasta dishes and each had a pepsi for 122kc (which totaled about 8 american dollars for entire meal). I feel that the best sightseeing in Prague is free because I enjoyed just wandering around the old town areas and the Charles Bridge area. It was wonderful. The Prague metro cost us because we got ticketed for buying the wrong metro ticket by mistake. We each had to pay 200 kc. I met many other Americans who also were ticketed at the metro station in Prague for buying the wrong ticket- so be careful if you go. We stayed in very inexpensive hotels there but they were the dirtiest, scariest places we stayed during our trip. However, I am sure there are nice inexpensive lodgings to be found in Prague. It was my favorite city of my trip. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Stacy <BR>

Old Aug 6th, 1998, 09:27 AM
Frank

Interlaken---- <BR>I heard that there's a lot of good hiking and hostels in and around the Jungfrau region. How was that area?

Old Aug 6th, 1998, 09:39 AM
Rick

Stacy: We are planning a trip to the Bordeaux region. What can we see, do or eat? Also tell me more about the Bretagne region. Thanks for your help.

Old Aug 6th, 1998, 09:51 AM
Stacy

Re:Interlaken <BR>We stayed at a hostel named Backpackers hostel which was one of our favorite hostels. It only opened at the end of May so it is not in any guidebooks yet. It is easy to find by following signs after you leave the train station. Most of the backpackers stayed at Balmer's- but we had heard it was a hectic crowded place and we wanted a good night's sleep. We caught a boat (covered by eurail) on Lake Thunersee and rode about 30 minutes. We departed the boat at Hohen and hiked the mountain and explored the St. Beatus caves (on a guided tour) on top of the moutnain. It was an easy hike with beautiful scenery all around. I'm sure there are many other hiking trails around that area. Interlaken was probably the most American touristed town we were in. It did not even feel like we were in Switzerland. We visited another place in Switzerland named Les Diablerets which had summer skiing- absolutely wonderful- definitely felt like Switerland. Have fun in your travels. Stacy <BR>

Old Aug 6th, 1998, 10:05 AM
stacy

RE: Bordeaux and Bretagne <BR>Bordeaux was a nice place with of course everything centering around the wine. Plan your time in Bordeaux during the week because the wineries do not offer tours or winetasting courses on the weekend. The entire town is closed on Sundays- we spent our Sunday in our hotel room. It is a good day for day trips. We heard a day trip to St. Emilion was nice- but we did not get to it. The tourist office in the city centre was the most helpful of all we went to. You can sign up for winery tours there. The Maison du Vin is across the street from the tourist office and offers wine-tasting courses. The food we ate in Bordeaux was not very good- however, it was probably our choice of restaurants. Place Gambetta should have some good food. Do not miss the fountain near Place Gambetta- we enjoyed it more than the Trevi fountain in Rome! <BR>We loved Bretagne. We stayed in Rennes one night but did not see much of it. We spent three days in the small village of Paimpont (reachable from Rennes by bus- one hour). Lovely charming town. We only meant to spend one day there- but loved it so much that we extended our visit. It is located in the Broceliande forest. This forest holds the legendary valley of no return, fountain of youth, and merlin's tomb. You can rent bikes or walk through the forest. We even saw a few people on horseback. The forest is 56 miles so it takes a few days to see it all. Paimpont was quaint and charming. I think we were the only Americans in the town. Paimpont was one of our favorite towns. I would recommend it to anyone.

Old Aug 6th, 1998, 06:28 PM
Beth

What about Vienna and Salzburg? I will be visiting these tow cities briefly (1 day each)in October. What things should I not miss (sights, music, food)?

Old Aug 6th, 1998, 06:33 PM
Karen Ramrakha

Hi, my name is Karen, I am a nurse travelling next year with my husband and 14yo daughter. We are thinking of going to Amsterdam from Sydney, and catching a ferry to Hull in England. How long should we stay in Amsterdam? We will have 4 wweks overseas. I have to be in Harrowgate (in Yorkshire) for a 3 day conference, otherwise nothing is fixed. Do you know anything about travelling to Copenhagen from Amsterdam? Is there any place you would reccommend to stay there? Also, we would like to go paris for a few days if it is not too difficult. What would your advice be? We haven't been to this region before, and i would be grateful for any advice. Thanks, Karen.

Old Aug 7th, 1998, 05:16 AM
stacy

RE: Vienna and Salzburg <BR>I was disappointed by Vienna. It was not what I had imagined at all. It seemed very Americanized to us. Perhaps we went to the wrong places. I would suggest a walk in the Vienna Woods, the opera (inexpensive seats on sale of day of show), and going to the Prater at night and riding the Risenrad (the giant ferris wheel). I would also recommend that you skip any entertainment along the Danube or Danube Canal. It felt as if we were in Florida for Spring Break in those areas. <BR>Salzburg was the Vienna I had dreamed of. Lovely, lovely town. I recommend wandering around the neustadt and alstadt areas, visiting Mozartplatz and enjoying a cup of hot chocolate at the Cafe Glockenspiel facing the monument to Mozart, and perhaps going on the goofy but entertaining "Sound of Music" tour. I would skip the Rupertinum Museum. It was the most disappointing museum of our trip. Good restaurants in Salzburg- try the spaghetti at Pepita's. I had a private room at the St. Sebastian Institute (300 AS a night). Very clean, quiet place in a great location. <BR>Have a great trip. <BR>

Old Aug 7th, 1998, 05:35 AM
stacy

RE: Amsterdam and Paris <BR>Karen- The Amsterdam portion of my trip was at the beginning of my trip. Therefore, I was fairly jetlagged during my stay there. We had a great time there nonetheless. Of course I am going to suggest a visit to the Anne Frank house. Insist that your daughter read the book before going if she has not yet. I, myself, wish I had reread it. Also, a canal tour of the city was a lot of fun. We took the one that departs from the canal across from the Heineken Museum and it only cost 10 guilder (about 5 American dollars). We visited the wax museum- the figures were very realistic- however there were a lot of historical figures from Holland that I was not familiar with and we were sort of bored there. The Royal Palace was beautiful- wonderful architecture,paintings and statues. The church across from the palace was not worth the price of admission. There are many quaint outdoor cafes and friendly people in Amsterdam. Just watch out for the bicycles or you will be run over! <BR>Paris is definitely worth the trip. I have been to Paris several times and each time find it as magnificent as the first. The sight of the Arc de Triomphe almost brings me to tears each time I see it. It is truly remarkable. I enjoy the Musee d'Orsay more than the Louvre (but of course this is all my opinion!). Notre Dame cathedral is awesome. A boat ride down the Seine is wonderful. Even only wandering around the Left Bank with a fresh baguette in hand seems exciting. Also many day trips can be made from Paris such as Giverny (Monet's home and gardens) and the palace of Versailles. I think you should definitely work Paris into your itinarary. Have fun in your travels. Stacy

Old Aug 7th, 1998, 07:33 PM
Beth

Stacy - thanks for your tips on Salzburg. Did you take the funicular up to that Hol'salzburg Fortress?

Old Aug 8th, 1998, 11:30 AM
lil

Can you recommend my any hotels or hostels in Venice and Florence for the late September. Are the youth hostels decent in those two cities. <BR> <BR>Thanks for your time. <BR>

Old Aug 9th, 1998, 01:17 AM
Samantha Hughes

Hi Stacey, <BR> <BR>I am wanting to plan a holiday similiar to your tour of Europe. How did you plan such a holiday? Books, listening to other people or just venturing off into the sunset? Did you work along the way or saved up enough? Could I ask how much you actually spent? <BR> <BR>Looking forward to hearing your response. <BR> <BR>Sam

Old Aug 10th, 1998, 09:46 AM
Greg Morris

Stacy, <BR> <BR>Interested in hostels/inexpensive lodging you had <BR>in Prague, Interlaken, Salzburg, Clinque Terra and Munich...cost and your thoughts??? <BR>I'm flying into Munich then on to Prague > Budapest> <BR>Vienna>Salzburg>Clique Terra>Interlaken >Munich <BR>trying to decide between the RailPass route or Individual point to point tickets..any ideals???? <BR>Any advise on rail travel say from Munich to Prague? <BR>Prague to Vienna? <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR> <BR>Greg <BR> <BR>1-10 rating (10 being the best) <BR>How did you rate you trip??? <BR>

Old Aug 10th, 1998, 10:04 AM
greg morris

Stacy, <BR> <BR>Please explain to me about your episode of getting <BR>"ticketed" for purchasing the wrong ticket in Prague???? You were fined for a mistake???

Old Aug 10th, 1998, 03:13 PM
Carrie

You sound like an experienced traveler! I am planning my first trip to Europe in October for 12 days. It will be a whirlwind. Italy, Switzerland, France and England. Can you give me tips on what to buy and especially how to pack! Your input would be greatly appreciated! Carrie

Old Aug 12th, 1998, 07:47 PM
Glenn

Beth, I just returned from Salzburg last month. We did not go up to the fortress this time. We went up last time, the weather was poor this time. I feel it is worth the time. The view of the city is great an the view towrd the country side on the other side of the mountain is also grand. Take notice of the executionor's house. Make sure that your try a bosna is salzburg. A thin spicey sausage. Very different from the typical sausage. Also head over to the Augastiner Beer hall. I believe the best beer in Europe. It is how a real beer hall is (unlike the Hofbrau House). You can also take a trip to the salt mines just out of town in Hallien. We stayed in a 3star pension for $70 a night about a 10 min walk fron the old town. Parking is a problem in the area. It is just a very enjoyable city. <BR> <BR>Greg, We went to Interlaken this trip for the first time. We stayed in Murren, above interlaken. I believe that this was much better than staying down below. Switzerland is expensive all over, I know that there are a couple of hostels in the area. I wish I good remember the name of the resturant in Murran. Exellent food, not a fancy or expensive place. ON the main street, brown building next to the watering trough. Exellent fondu (with spices) <BR>Our hotel was our splurge,$85 a night but a balcony view that was great. I know that Rick Steves lists a few inexpensive places in Murren. The hiking was great, bring a good pair of books if you are going to hike, your feet will thank you for it.

Old Jan 23rd, 1999, 11:09 AM
Anne

Hi Stacy, thank you for sharing your experiences in Prague. I am curious to know which are the hotels you described as being "the dirtiest, scariest places we stayed during our trip". We will be arriving in Prague at 9pm in the evening and have reservations at the Pension Denisa for US$50/night, but are a little concerned about staying in inexpensive accommodations after reading some posts. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Old Jan 27th, 1999, 08:19 PM
tina

Stacy you are a great example of how generous the travelers on this site are and how much travelers love to share their trips. Where did you stay in Paris? I am in the Latin Quarter for two weeks in March. Was there any thing unique that you feel is important? I have the information for all of the tourist spots but other info is appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -