Reload this Page >

Just got back from Brussels & Brugges

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 12:29 AM
Stephanie

Well. We just got back from a weekend trip to Belgium from Paris. Our first time. We drove and once we cleared weekend traffic, we arrived in Brussels in good time. Last minute trip so hotel availability was tough. We stayed at The Hotel Welcome (claims to be "the smallest hotel of Brussels"). Was clean, quaint, reasonable prices ($75). A good, basic hotel but centrally located. Definately don't get a room streetside (NOISY!!). Hotel connected to restaurant La Truite d'Argent. Enjoyed wonderful food in elegant surroundings. Best thing to say about both was the friendly service. Maitre d' was great, helpful and just won our hearts with city reccomendations which were on the mark. Then, Sophie at breakfast helped us further with maps and a great walking itinerary. Brussels of note: lovely churches with awesome stained glass, warm waffles and the Grand Place (incredible). Great suggestion, find Le Roi d'Espagne in the corner of the Place, head to the second floor and fight for a window spot. Enjoy a beer overlooking the square. We also liked the Museum of Comics as we're big on TinTin. That was really enough of Brussels and we then headed for Brugges. <BR> <BR>We fell in love with Brugges. Despite windy & cold weather, we felt really warm and comfortable. Stayed in the Hotel Prinsenhof, at $120 a night, it easily beat many of the rooms in every other hotel. Clean, elegant, great service, top notch. Truly everything we think a hotel should be. Right in the center of town, but on a side street (super quiet). They steered us to a great beer pub (Brugs Beertje) and terrific seafood (Breydel-De Coninc). The staff was helpful and the hotel incredibly tastefully decorated. Can't say enough about it. Looked at the TerDuinen but it seemed a bit far from the heart of the city. Still walkable but... <BR>You can tell Brugges sees many tourists and can see why. Lovely canals run through town, windmills just outside the city. Cobblestone walkways with lots of bikes. Rides through town in a horse drawn carriage. Picturesque, really northern European and lots of fun. <BR> <BR>We loved Brugges so much, we booked another weekend in December (at the Prinsenhof, of course) and look forward to enjoying the Christmas market in town. Brussels good for 1 day or 2 max and then move on!! <BR> <BR>We really want to get to know Brugges better, so if you have suggestions, pass them on. We're hooked!!

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 06:39 AM
Bill

We will be arriving at the Prinsenhof this coming Sunday (the 19th) for two nights. Booked it based on their web site pictures and descriptions. It seemed like a good place and now based on your comments I feel even better about it. Haven't been to Brugge before so we are really looking forward to it. <BR> <BR>I will report more upon our return. I love Belgian beer so I plan to partake mightly!

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 02:43 PM
Sara

My roommate and I, too, just returned from Brugge and Brussels (Nov. 17-21). And we also fell in love with Brugge. We stayed at the Hotel TerDuinen and found it extraordinary. Cannot say enough wonderful things about the overwhelming hospitality of the owners, the charming rooms of the hotel (get a room overlooking the canal; it is stupendous), the generous breakfast, and the great ambience there. The walk to the center of town is very easy and gorgeous, taking only about 15 minutes at a very moderate walking pace. There is also a bus stop directly in front of the door to the hotel. Two different lines take you to the center of town and the train station and they come frequently. <BR> <BR>Am envious you will be returning again. We live in Washington, DC, so won't be back so quickly though we are already thinking about it....

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 04:51 AM
Bill

We are back from our 10 day trip through Belgium and France. Per my earlier posting, we had reservations at the Hotel Prinsenhof in Brugges, and it is everything Stephanie says and more. It is a wonderful hotel. We had a very nice room on the upper floor (had to climb one flight of stairs but no big deal). The room was large, and wonderfully decorated. The bathroom was complete with shower, tub, dual wash basins, and the most beautiful tile work. The owners, a young couple, take great pride in their hotel and are the most gracious of hosts. I would recommend this hotel without reservations to anyone. We paid about $90 a night, and also used thier private car park at a rate of about $8 a day or so. Another plus was the extensive breakfast buffet provided as part of the room rate. It was enough to keep us going all day until dinner, with lunch consisting of usually a cold beer or a not coffee. <BR> <BR>Brugges is a jewel. We have been all over Europe and this is by far my favorite city. I fell in love with this place and could return there again and again, and even live there. The people are friendly and helpful and the town is sparkling. Everyone should see Brugges.

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 09:13 AM
Denisse

Hi Stephanie! Do you know which is the distance between Paris and Brugges, is it better to go by car o by train? ( for someone who doesn´t have experience in European routes ). Thank you.

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 04:09 PM
mapgirl

Just check euroshell.com website for distances!!!

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 01:55 PM
patrizia

Am I the only one that prefers Brussels to Brugges??? And the train from Paris is wonderful, just make sure to get off in the right train station!

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 10:36 AM
lynn

I'm planning an autumn trip right now, and was thinking of a few days in Brussels with a side trip to Ghent. I'm getting the impression Bruges is much more worthwhile. Can anyone here compare the merits of Ghent vs. Bruges? Or should I bag Brussels altogether? I was there briefly several years ago, and really only wanted to introduce my husband to the Grand Place on this trip.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 10:43 AM
ldsant

I just returned from my trip to Paris and Belgium. Spent a week in Belgium. Went to Brussels, Brugge, and Ghent. Honestly, I could NOT wait to get OUT of Ghent. I hated it! Do a day trip from Brugge if you want to see it. The artwork of the Mystic Lamb was pretty impressive and wonderful, but the people were just nasty and the city wasn't all that nice. Brugge on the other hand - I could have stayed there another week. Just fell in love with the place. I also enjoyed Brussels although it's a much different feel. If you get a chance definitely go to the Musee Beaux Arts and to the churches. In Brugge go to the museums and to the churches - lovely. Brugge also had a glassblower that lets you watch him create while he works - I found it interesting anyway. And take a canal ride. I stayed at the Hotel Jacobs which was a bit of a walk from the center of town, but it was inexpensive and the people at the front desk were very nice and helpful. If you have other questions, please feel free to email me. I would suggest a stay in Brugge over Ghent though.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 10:48 AM
Thyra

Stephanie, <BR>Thanks for the great report! Brugges is in our next Spring trip itinerary and I am really excited since we have not been. I am going to investigate your hotel since it got such a great review and looks like it's in our price range. Did you book the Prinsenhof in advance? <BR>Also, do you (or anyone for that matter) have their web address? <BR>Also, did you take any tours of Brugge or canal cruises or was it more of a get lost and wander type of city???? <BR>

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 11:13 AM
lisa

Stephanie & everyone who contributed to this thread -- Thanks for the info! I will be in Bruges for three days & nights in early June (taking the train after 5 days in Paris) & really looking forward to it (Sara -- I'm from Washington DC too)-- I'm staying at the Hotel Cordoeanier in Bruges -- any additional recommendations for restaurants, sights, beers to try, chocolate shops, waffles, etc. are most welcome. P.S. My only other time to Belgium I stayed in Brussels & I agree with you Stephanie -- one or two days max.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 11:48 AM
StCirq

Patrizia: <BR> <BR>No, you're not the only one who prefers Brussles to Bruges. I love Brussels, but I'm beginning to think I go to a different Brussels from the one most others go to. Bruges' charm cannot be denied, but it could be called overwrought.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 12:49 PM
Brian in Atlanta

We had a very nice stay in Ghent last year and didn't run into a single nasty person. I think I favored it to Brugges because it seemed more like a real city than a tourist destination like Brugges. Don't get me wrong, there were tourists (only during the day it seemed), but it just seemed less disneyesque than Brugges. And we really enjoyed Ghent's Patershol district for restaurants. We seemed to have the city tourist-free at night. <BR> <BR>We did find Brugges charming, and I'm sure it's much better off-season and after the day-trippers have left.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 01:38 PM
Sue

Thanks for the info, Stepanie! We are doing a week in Paris in early July and then taking the train to Brugge for 2 nites and staying at the Hotel TerDuninen, so we're glad to hear the positive comments about it. Someone told me to book a walking tour of Brugge, did you by chance do this?

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 02:26 PM
KT

Admittedly I'm prejudiced because I have good friends in Gent, but I've been there several times and never had any problems with nasty people. There are a couple of pretty ghastly shopping streets in the center, but there are also plenty of more atmospheric areas a bit tucked away. There are lots of nice cafes and restaurants and enough interesting museums and architecture to merit a visit. Between Gent and Brugge, if I could visit only one it would be Brugge, but I always enjoy my time in Gent.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 05:21 PM
ldsant

Just wanted to say that I'm sorry if my comments caused any offense re: Ghent. They weren't intended to. <BR> <BR>BTW - there were hardly any tourists last week in Belgium anywhere - it was kind of nice actually.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 05:46 PM
KT

ldsant: <BR> <BR>Speaking for myself, I wasn't at all offended, though it's nice of you to be concerned. I know that different people have different experiences and different preferences. I just felt obliged to speak up in defense of Gent so that my Daskalides chocolate privileges weren't cut off.

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 01:12 AM
PB

To Patrizia: <BR> <BR>You're not alone... I'm another one who prefers Brussels to Bruges. Since I've lived in Brussels off and on for a total of almost 20 years, like StCirq, I"m sure I know a Brussels that most tourists never take the time to find... <BR>Bruges is lovely, but not the be-all and end-all of Belgium. (and I got really tired of taking people there to visit it). <BR> <BR>Patricia <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 07:18 AM
Brian in Atlanta

No offense taken at all. Diverse opinions should always be welcomed here.

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 04:56 PM
arjay

We were in Brugge earlier this month. Here's an alternative lodging suggestion. We stayed at a very pleasant B&B, tucked on a quiet street about a 6-7 min walk to the city center. The B&B, a rehabbed, centuries old coachhouse, offers central living space on the first floor... sitting area before a large fireplace and a kitchen/dining area, facing a large courtyard. Upstairs (a rather steep staircase) are two bedrooms, each with private bath. The owner comes over in the morning and sets out a lovely repast. Presumably, you could find yourself sharing the living space with another couple if the second bedroom was rented out. We had it all to ourselves. Rooms are clean, spare, and light. Bath had a jacuzzi tub; bed was a futon. Price was in the $65 range per nite. Here is their website: <BR>http://www.welcome.to/koetshuis <BR>If I can answer any other questions, e-m me at [email protected]