Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Just bought digital camera for trip, what should I know?

May 8th, 2002, 03:50 AM
Travis

Hello all!

I just bought my first digital camera (canon p330) for my trip to europe in a couple weeks. I also bought an extra card (128) and extra battery. I haven't even got to play around with the camera yet it's so new. It will be the first time I need to pack extras, like a charger, so for all you digital camera users out there, what should I bring that I might not know/think about, or not bring because it's a waste of space? Thank you!

May 8th, 2002, 03:53 AM
sinan

dear travis,

You just need the beatiful wiev to take.

Have fun with you camera

sinan

May 8th, 2002, 04:03 AM
tip

The only things you need is your charger and an adapter plug. Radio Shack has the plugs.
Consistently erase every night any bad shots. If you wait till your card is full to start erasing, it becomes a pain.
Although 128 Mb seems like a lot, ask a friend who has an extra card to lend it to you it for your trip. Takes no space and may come in handy unexpectedly.

May 8th, 2002, 04:10 AM
Brian Kilgore

Before you take each picture,you will need to figure out what you are going to do with it afterwards. Willit go on a web site and maybe to sent to another computer via e-mail? Will you make a 4x6 print from it? Will you make an 8x10 print from it?

Once you decide that, you need to set your camera to the approriate resolutions. For e-mail, it is a low setting that allows lots of pictures to be stored on thememory card. For 8x10 prints, it is a high resolution that allows only a few photographs to be stored.

If you think you will want lots of big prints, you'll need to carry even more memory cards, or a notebook computer, onto which you can load the files.

The advice to throw out your rejects (remove them from the card) each night is excellent advice.

BAK

May 8th, 2002, 04:28 AM
Tom

If I can butt in with an additional question, what resolution would you recommend to make quality 4X6 prints (1024 x 768, 1600 x 1200 or 2048 x 1536)?

May 8th, 2002, 05:42 AM
HRH SBP

hi

great advice - bear in mind though, make sure you have a way to recharge it correctly BEFORE erasing nightly. make sure your adapter works, etc etc.

viewing your results, and especially erasing, are a bigger drain on your battery than just taking the picture in the first place (or so I have been told by a digifreak friend)

if you have any probs with recharging, you might want to suck up the pictures - lest you not be able to take ANY more.

May 8th, 2002, 05:51 AM
Dina

Using the regular viewfinder, instead of the digital display, to take pictures will save battery power too.

Of course, you must use the digital display to review shots before deleting the bad ones, but do this as quickly as possible.

May 8th, 2002, 05:55 AM
Dina

Also, I find that a 1200 X 1600 pixel file makes a nice quality 4X6 or even 5X7 printout, but not 8X10.

May 8th, 2002, 05:56 AM
sandy

I took my new digital (Canon S-300) to Brazil for its trial run (along w/my trusty Minolta 150). I took my different plugs, the battery charger, extra battery, and 2 128-meg cards.

I take lots 'o pictures, I take pictures of everything and I took even more with the digital (since they are "free"). I use the medium setting. My pictures turned out GREAT! They turned out sooooo much better than my Minolta.

I printed them out on my HP Photosmart 1115 printer (4x6 and a few 8x10) and they looked fine. I started out with my camera set at the large setting and it just took up too much space on my card. And, I couldn't tell any difference anyway.

I'm going to China in July and the digital is the only camera I'm taking.

Hope you love yours as much as I love mine!

Sandy

May 8th, 2002, 06:15 AM
jpm

As many have mentioned, you need to determine what you want to do with your camera. If you plan on printing pictures, you need lots of memory. If you only plan on showing them on the internet/computer/email then you can take lower resolution shots.

I've been using a digital camera exclusively for several years. I started with a Sony Mavica which used floppies (because memory use to be so expensive). I recently bought a Sony Cybershot 1.3 megapixel ($180) and 4 128 meg memory cards ($59 each).

I bought the lower megapixel card because I do not print any of my shots. I take pictures at the 1024x768 resolution and can take several thousand pictures before filling up the cards. At 640x480 I can actually take over 10000 pictures.

I then use powerpoint to make a presentation that I write out to CDs to send to family or friends. I also use my TV-OUT feature on my computer to play the presentation into my VCR. It is amazing how well the pictures appear on TV - and this way I can share my pics with anyone - it is the slideshow of the 21st century.

I would suggest that you take several hundred pictures using all the different options and different resolutions - print pictures out taken at different resolutions - and find what you are happy with.

Have fun, you will find yourself taking pictures of everything! After all, those pictures are free. I recently returned from Hawaii where I took nearly 1200 pictures in 10 days! It was really fun being able to snap picture after picture on the whale watching trip while others were continually reloading their film.

Ok, I'm getting longwinded, remember, you will be in Europe, if you use up all your memory, splurge and buy more, you will only regret the photos you didn't take.

May 8th, 2002, 06:17 AM
Alex

Travis - if you're going to be near any cybercafes (or a friendly local with a fairly new computer) take along a card reader that you can plug into a USB port. This way you can delete photos from the card without draining your batteries. Most are pretty small (mine is smaller than a deck of cards) and you can find them for $20-30 at most computer stores.

It couldn't hurt to play around with the camera a bit - go to a museum, a park and a few other places to practice. Play with all the settings. Get a feel for what your camera can - and more importantly, can not - do. See how long it takes you to drain the batteries.

As for resolution, I get excellent 4x6 prints from my 2.1megapixel Olympus in standard resolution jpeg (1600 x 1200 - 450kB). They appear to be film-quality prints and I can't find any noticable flaws with them, but then again i may not know what to look for.

May 8th, 2002, 06:18 AM
jpm

Sandy, have fun in China. I'm heading there in September (main reason I upgraded from the Mavica to the Cybershot).

I would be very interested in your trip. Please post a journal when you get back. I'm going on my first "tour" with China Focus - are you going on your own or with a group?

May 8th, 2002, 06:58 AM
Travis

Wow, thanks everyone! I must admit I am kind of nervous using and relying only on my new camera, but it sounds like it should be no problem. I actually got one of those USB ports free with it (looks like a mouse?), which I have no idea how to use, I do plan on going to an internet cafe to email pics, so if I bring that USB port, I will have no problem hooking that up on a internet cafe computer? Which I am assuming I can just email those pics to myself and clear up the memory card?

May 8th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Gretchen

Just touching on the battery recharger one more time. I have heard of folks frying their chargers using a converter so BE SURE you are using the correct converter. We found that we could plug our recharger directly into the shaver plug in Paris.
I would get another memory card--I don't know what a Canon uses but the generic cards are really pretty cheap. Everyone has given you good advice about testing resolutions. I find that the 1600X960 gives all the resolution I would ever need even up to 8X10. If you drop it down one notch you can triple your memory capacity and still have excellent prints. Downloading at a cybercafe at high resolution may take a very long time--someone comment on this if it is incorrect.

May 8th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Travis

How do I know I have the right converter? Aren't they all the same? If I just go to Radioshack, will they know? Even if I cannot send myself pics from the internet cafe, can I still use the USB port in a cafe to erase unwanted photos from the disk?

May 8th, 2002, 08:24 AM
digital

is there any danger that x-ray machines at the airport will damage the memory card? I can't imagine that there is, given that laptops go through security, but just curious.

May 8th, 2002, 08:25 AM
Dina

I was told by a photo tech that the generic memory card is easier for them to work with, as the brand-name memory cards sometimes require installation of special software and they charge more.

And I've posted before about downloading photo files to a URL. Even if you can find a cybercafe that will allow this, it's a tedious process--if they are medium resolution. Each (approx.600KB) file takes 20 or thirty seconds to download, and if you have hundreds to transfer one by one, that is time-consuming.

When we ran out of space on the memory cards, we found photo processing shops to copy them to CD, then emptied the cards.

May 8th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Greg

Travis,

Here is my 2 cents. I took my Canon S300 to Europe last year for 3 weeks. I brought along 2 64 Meg cards, an extra battery, the charger and the appropriate adapters. Before I left I learned how to operate the basics of the camera, shooting pics, changing settings and the most important how not to delete all my pictures!! After that you just learn as you go. You delete the bad stuff at the end of the day and you should be fine.

I was shooting mostly low res pics because I was just going to view and show them on the computer. If you want to print out your pictures you can still bring them into most places that develop film. The quality is better and you can control the cost because you print out what you want. If I saw something that I felt I may want to enlarge (8x10) I just change the resolution for the one shot. You should be able to tell good pictures from ones you feel will be special.

As far as sending them back from an Internet cafe, good luck. Even if you found a place that had a fast enough connection, your e-mail service would not allow an e-mail that size to pass through its server. You can check, but I boubt you could send more them 5 Meg at a time. Besides, I was taking pictures and small video clips all the time and I still had space on my second card when I returned. If I would have taken anymore pictures, I would have missed the trip and probably got beatin'up by some of my subjects. I would just buy more if I needed it. Have a good trip.

Greg

May 8th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Karen

I have a digital camera that I haven't used yet. I know that if you take pictures with them and load the card into the computer the card can be reused. If the pictures I take are made into prints is the card reusable?

Also if I set the digital at the setting for 4x6 pictures how many should I beable to get on one card .

Thanks

May 8th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Beth

My digital manual suggests always using the highest resolution; why would you want to be standing there making that kind of choice for each picture you are shooting. I was recently in Paris for seven days and was constantly shooting; I had a total of 160MB. I think you really do need another card (borrowing, as someone above suggested, sounds like a great idea). My batteries ran out the very night before I left. I had taken back ups that were still in the package; however, I discovered they were dead. So, to anyone not taking a charger, check those back ups and charge them too before you leave home. Fortunately, I had a film camera for any last minute (on the way to the airport) shots!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO