Reload this Page >

Just Back from UK Trip

Search

Just Back from UK Trip

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 08:55 AM
xxx

Just Back from UK Trip

We just returned from our long-planned trip to the UK. Despite all the (mis)information out there, my advice to anyone planning a similar trip is "GO!" The only reason I would advise cancellation is if the primary reason for going is hiking or otherwise using the footpaths. I would also advise frequent checking with the regional tourist boards in areas you choose to visit. Many attractions have reopened with even more scheduled to open throughout the month. The only area in which we found more places to be closed was in Gloustcershire (sp?). Even then then closures were limited to halls, manors and abbeys in the countryside where there were grazing animals on the property. <BR> We flew into Manchester and out of Heathrow. We were able to avoid the hassles of a huge airport upon landing. We picked up our car at the Manchester Airport and immediately headed out of the city. We had the car for touring the rural areas of Wales and England. We returned the car at Bath and then took the train into London. This gave us maximum flexibility and allowed us to avoid the hassles of driving in large cities. <BR> Destinations and attractions we visited included: Chester, North Wales (specifically Edward's five castles of Conwy, Caenarfon, Beaumaris, Criccieth and Harlech), Shrewsbury, The Cotswolds, Sudeley Castle, Blenheim Palace, and Bath. <BR> While in London we stayed near the South Kensington tube station. We found that to be very convenient as three lines run into the station. We did many of the standard tourist attractions while there--Harrods, Windsor Palace, Buckingham and the Changing of the Guard, Trafalgar Square, a hop-on, hop-off bus tour, The National Gallery, British Museum, Westminster, Cabinet War Rooms, St. Paul's. <BR> If anyone has specific questions, I'd be happy to share our experiences.

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 12:12 PM
Thyra

Thanks for the report. Great info for anyone planning a trip to the UK. Please let us know what hotels you stayed in, in particular the one in London, as people are always hot to get hotel info for London.

Old Apr 14th, 2001, 12:11 AM
andrea

what was going on in Chester? WHat would you reccommend for good lunch stop,any good antiquing,any tours we shouldn't miss? write back--thanks

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 04:35 AM
xxx

We were only in Chester for a few hours (groggy ones at that as we had only landed). We did not take a tour but walked the city walls, went through the cathedral, and strolled the pedestrian area. The town retains its medieval buidlings in the downtown area. Our hotel, The Chesire Cat, was located in Christleton a few miles from the city center of Chester. This was a great place. 55 GBP for a large room. Downstairs was a pub that served decent food all day. A young employee, Jay, was most helpful getting us oriented to the area. Although we had a car, he suggested a taxi into Chester (under 5 GBP)so as to avoid the hassles of city driving on our first day. It was a great idea! <BR> In London, we stayed at the Regency, 100 Queens Gate. We worked with our travel agent on this. She claimed to know someone who works there and got us a great rate. The room was large, although we had twin beds, and had a small refrigerator. The front desk seemed to be a bit confused but we were able to straighten everything out. There were many restaurants nearby as well as ATM machines. There was a laundromat 2 blocks away. Nearest tube was South Kensington. Three lines run into that station--cutting down the need to change trains. Harrods was in walking distance as was the Victoria and Albert Museum. <BR> My favorite part of the trip was Wales. I have to admit I liked London although I am not usually a fan of the big cities. I most enjoyed the National Gallery and the British Museum. <BR> Please feel free to ask anymore questions. <BR>

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 04:48 AM
Jody

I think one of the best smal London hotels is Aster House. we have stayed there for years and it just keeps getting better and better. It is at 3 Sumner Place a short walk from the S&gt;KEn tube, near enough to V&A, Harrods, Beauchamp Pl, etc to walk. Thereare numerous restuarants within walking distance, christies auction rooms, all kinds of neat shops and only a few blocks from the Kings Road and Fulham Rd with all their attractions. The rooms have all been redone along with the bathrooms, I only wish my house were as clean! Simon and naomi the managers are extremely helpful. Breakfast is served in a rooftop conseratory, eggs, cold meats, cereals, juice, breads and plentiful coffee or tea. It is kind of combination hotel and B and B. You won't have room service or porters, but there is a lovely garden in back complete with fountain and ducks and seating. ! The garden room on the lower floor opens right ito the garden! There have more repeat business than any where we have ever stayed . If you arrive early( check in is at 1 PM). simon will take your bags, offer the bathroom and have your bags in your room when you return. Often if your room is already made up they will check you in even if it is early! <BR>We love it and them

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 03:52 PM
LCorey

I will travel to London with two boys ages 9 and 11. <BR> <BR>WHat shall we see? How many days? <BR>Would it be better to see only London? <BR>O have 10 days vacation time. <BR> <BR>Should I obtain a car or use train? <BR> <BR> <BR>Thank you fo any and all tips!

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 04:11 PM
Libbie

Jody, <BR> <BR>What is the price range of the Aster House? It sounds marvelous! Do they have a web address or e-mail? Thanks for the write up. And thanks too, to the original poster (xxx) for the update. Most helpful and interesting. The Cheshire Cat sounds great -- is there a web address for them? <BR> <BR>Libbie <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 02:28 AM
Jody

LIBBIE- <BR>I think they have a web site but I can't find it right now, will look for it later today and get back to you. In the meantime here is their email , They will be happy to send you brochures. we have stayed there numerous times and love it. It is not a cheapie , I would say medium price range, but worth it for the place , staff and convenience. <BR>Aster, House <BR>E-mail Address(es): <BR> [email protected] <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 03:50 AM
xxx

The Chesire Cat: thechesirecat.co.uk/ <BR> <BR>To LCorey: you could easily spend 10 days in London, but it depends on your tastes. Tours out of the city are easy to find. I would not drive in London to save my life! If you choose to get a car, arrange to pick it up out of the city. I did not find driving on the left that difficult and in fact, found roundabouts to be easier from the left. However, I had my husband to help navigate and to remind me to "stay left." I found that while distances between places were often small, it took longer to drive than I expected. This was partly due to traffic and also due to the fact that I was not as speedy and gutsy of a driver that I am at home.

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 04:40 AM
Jody

Libbie- <BR>Knew I had that website in some folder!! <BR>http://welcome2london.com/asterhouse/ <BR> <BR>Re the Cheshire cat in Chester, we stayed a few yards down the road from there last fall, instead of a cab we drove about 1 mile towards the city and used the park and ride, about 1 pound return fare, there was very little traffic that side of Chester, which is a great walking city as it's mostly been pedestrianiized (Sp). we were there mainly for 2 big antique shows but the walls, catherdral and town are most interesting. Hadn't been there for years and it certainly is easy to get around if you don't drive into the city, public transportation was great!

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 07:49 AM
ruth

I am so pleased that you enjoyed U.K.I live in Wales and despite the media reports, we are open!! Good advice re checking what is open due to Foot & Mouth but things are re-opening daily.Apart from London, do go to Bath which is beautiful and unique, they have a Jane Austen museum there housed in a house she lived in with her family for a time. Bath is featured in some of her books. Come to Wales, apart from the North, the Wye valley is beautiful, Timtern Abbey (Wordsworth wrote poetry about the area), Chepstow, Caerphilly and Cardiff castles. Glad you are not giving up on us!!

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 11:25 AM
Kate

Ruth, <BR>I'm not giving up! I'm planning my first trip to London and Ireland this summer. I will be in London for only three days and plan to make the most of it before heading to Ireland for 10 days. Can't wait. Thank you all for sharing your experiences.

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 03:22 PM
Patti Suttle

Kate-we are going to London for 3 days and also 10 days in Ireland this summer as well! We are going to Ireland first then London (and our Finale is Paris for 4 days). Have you worked out your itinerary for London yet? I am getting ready to write out what I want to see and figure it out. We are a group of 10 traveling together!! <BR>Patti