Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Just back from Paris! Bonne Annee!!! Here's a jetlagged trip report!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Wendy

Bonne Annee to all of you! I just got back in from Paris late last night but my poor boyfriend is still flying thanks to the snow storm in Atlanta!<BR><BR>Here is just a quick overview of our fantastic trip! His 2nd time, my 3rd. Paris is still my favorite city- even in the winter.<BR><BR>We stayed at the Hotel Belta in the 10th which is a little further away but came with our cheap airfare. The staff was by far the friendliest I've had. We were disappointed that the Canal St. Martin was closed and emptied for cleaning as usually that is such a pretty area.<BR><BR>We visited Ste. Chappelle- as pretty as always; Musee D'Orsay- WOW! That was my first time, incredible!! The collection and the spectacular views from behind the clocks!! Watched all the ice skaters at the Hotel du Ville; went out to Defense and up the Arc- I hadn't seen/done that before either and it was really great! The difference between the old and new city is amazing! We rode the ferris wheel- very fun!! Took the Bateaux Mouches ride at night with a bottle of wine to keep us warm. Walked around and looked at lots of pretty streets lit up at night with their holiday lights. <BR><BR>Had dinner reservations on all but one night. Restaurants we ate at are La Serre in the 7th- small, family owned restaurant which had good Pot au Feu and a nice casual atmosphere. Chez Jenny in the 1oth- Alsatian style nice brassier. Very friendly warm atmosphere- food was good, not incredible. Chez Maitre Paul in the 6th- really wonderful food although we didn't get what we ordered! We were late for our reservations so we figured they were punishing us haha! My veal in cream/mushroom sauce was to die for!! I will definately eat here again!! New Years Eve dinner with friends at Pied Au Cochon in the 1st- perfect place for a fun, loud, celebration type dinner! Food was fine but the atmosphere was great! L'Arbuci in the 6th- good food, wine and also a big, warm atmoshere. And for our final meal TAILLEVENT!! What can I say?? This was amazing, incredible and worth every penny! We had a fantastic meal, wines, service, ambiance, EVERYTHING!<BR><BR>Went to Bibloquet for jazz, Angelina's for hot chocolate, Harry's New York bar for cocktails, the bar at the Intercontinental for champagne and wine in just about every cafe we passed!! <BR><BR>Spent NYE after dinner drinking champagne while walking on Pont Neuf which was beautifully lit up and decorated for the Euro intro, then along the Seine to Pl. de Concorde while watching the Eiffle Tower and more champagne at the Place in front of the ferris wheel and the Oblisk while looking down the beautifully lit Champs d'Elysee!! Count down to the New Year with all the great people there!! Cheers!!!<BR><BR>The weather was gorgeous and clear and sunny except for 1 day of cold and rain. We even ate lunch outside at Les Deux Magots one day!<BR><BR>That's all I can do for now! Will add to as I remember. And of course will gladly answer any questions!<BR><BR>Wendy

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 09:14 AM
c

WOW, Wendy, what a great report! I am waiting to hear details , you know, all the minute little things that you saw and heard, glad it was a good trip,what a wonderful way to ring in the New Year.<BR>(all that champagne!-did you ever get a headacheCheeers!C

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 09:25 AM
MaryC

Wendy,<BR><BR>I've been waiting to hear back from you regarding your trip. Especially, since you were planning to ring in the New Year with champagne at Place de la Concorde! And you just walked around the streets of Paris drinking champagne on NYE? Wow! How incredibly decadent. I am so jealous! I'm glad you had fun.<BR><BR>So what did you originally order at Chez Maitre Paul?<BR><BR>Yes, I was supposed to go to Au Pied de Cochon my last night in Paris last time I went but was sooo tired. I had promised a maitre d' at another restaurant that I would meet him there and then we would head up to Sacre Couer, but I just couldn't do it as I had to make the Chunnel back to London early the next morning. But to my defense, I tried telling this go "No, I really can't meet you" like 6 times, so finally I just said "okay, I'll meet you there" to get him to let me go my merry way. But enough about my details.<BR><BR>Tell us more about yours!!!<BR><BR>How long did you stay at Au Pied? I hear it's open all night with a really great cross-section of locals showing up past midnight (club kids, prostitues, etc. - fascinating!). Plus, you don't have to worry about being a "loud American" 'cause it's such a raucous place.<BR><BR>What else did you get at Angelina's besides the hot chocolate?<BR><BR>And your poor boyfriend. Give him our regards!! ~MaryC : )

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Wendy

C- I think there is something about the champagne in Paris that makes it okay to drink lots of it with no headache!! Or maybe the advil I take before bed! haha!<BR>Here's a little side story for you- One night we were walking around and found ourselves on Rue St. Denis. There were prostitutes everywhere!! Just out of the blue! And at the end of the street was a huge Arc similar to Carousel. We dubbed it the Arc d'Whore! haha! <BR><BR>MaryC- Originally at Chez Maitre Paul I ordered fricasee de veau (veal stew) and Dayne ordered coq au vin. He got chicken in a cream sauce with muchrooms like mine with the veal but mine was so rich!!! <BR><BR>The 5 of us were at Pied from 7:30 until 11:00. The whole time we were there people were lined up out the door to get in! And you are right, there were all types- business, young, old, partyiers, etc. We had a great time!!<BR><BR>At Angelina's I had a lemon tart and Dayne had a raspberry tart to go with our hot chocolate. We also bought the mix to make back here.<BR><BR>Indeed we just walked around with bottles of champagne on NYE. At the Pl. d Concorde people even set up little tables and were selling champagne, wine and beer. We smashed out empty bottles on the cobblestones in the Tuilleries with the rest of them. The crowds were the perfect size! Big enough to be a big street party but not scary or out of control!!

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 10:23 AM
Wendy

Other things I am remembering!<BR><BR>Fur, fur, fur! If you've got it wear it! Wow all the women have beautiful (IMO) fur coats or long black wool coats with fur collars. I wanted to buy a collar but it would not go over well here in Seattle! Also some of the younger women wear long suede coats with the seams all in fur!<BR><BR>Hats and Scarves! fun and functional!!!<BR><BR>Tons of tourists!! Way more than both other times I've gone in the Spring. Huge lines! Buy a musuem pass if you plan to go to even 2! <BR><BR>BTW whoever recommended to me to buy ECCO boots is my new best friend! Was lucky enough to get 2 pair for xmas and wore them the whole time. Slipped in a Dr. Scholl's padded insole and I was good to go!!<BR><BR>Used my digital camera battery recharger with an adapter and it worked fine- I didn't fry it!! Yeah!<BR><BR>Missing my croissants right now!!

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 01:03 PM
MaryC

Topping for Milly...

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 01:47 PM
c

Oh boy, just what I wanted to hear, what they were wearing! If I can't be there myself,I rely on good people like you to keep me on top of French fashion,I am getting a fur thingy for the collar,in NY there are enough furs walking around that they will probably ignore me and spray paint the one with the full length mink <BR>I remember last time we were there, every afternoon I kept waiting for the pain au chocolate and espresso or tea that kept me going...I still miss it!<BR>Keep remembering and telling all!C

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 01:48 PM
c

Sorry-that made no sense at all----<BR>Last time we were there,I would have chocolate croissants and espresso or tea in the afternoon to keep up the energy levels...when we got back, every afternoon, I was looking for that chocolate Croissant! <BR>thanks for putting up with my meandering mind...

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 02:35 PM
MaryC

It's okay, c, I knew what you meant.<BR><BR>Wendy, when do we get more details?!?<BR><BR>See, this is the stuff I LIVE for!

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 03:42 PM
Wendy

C- I knew what you meant also! In fact I just had to run out to my local bakery and pick up some fresh croissants for my breakfast tomorrow. They are still warm and they might not make it till then! haha!<BR><BR>It never amazes me how thin most of the people in Europe are. I know they walk way more than we do here but still.....<BR><BR>One afternoon when we were eating lunch at Deux Magots outside in the sunshine the most gorgeous couple walked up and sat down next to us. She had legs up to her chin and was wearing a full length skin colored suede jacket with fur seams. He was dark wavy hair and just yummy! She thought so too as he was reading his newspaper, she was just sitting there nuzzling his ear! I think she was starving as she was so thin! haha! I love that the Parisians walk around and you can just tell who is in love! Dayne and I tried to keep up!! <BR><BR>I also really loved how so many of the little neighborhoods dressed their streets up by hanging lights over them. They all had a bit different theme going on. One small street near rue Cler and the Eiffle tower had lights with little Eiffle towers on them!!<BR><BR>We also had onion soup (not French since we were already there!!!) and it was so good!! Really warms you up on those cold sunny days!<BR><BR>Our dinner at Taillevent was 3 hours, 6 courses, 2 bottles of wine, and so memberable I was in heaven!! The website does not do these rooms any justice! They are absolutely fantastic and the waitstaff was never rude, snotty or made us feel anything but welcome. This was a huge treat as Dayne and I are not weathy and we are also in our early 30's which doesn't command a load of respect at such nice places usually. <BR><BR>I can't believe I'm actually home...

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 03:49 PM
maryc

Oh Wendy, HOW wonderful. MORE more! Tell us about the 6 courses at Taillevent.<BR><BR>I always wanted to drag my ex to Paris so that he could see ACTUAL couples actually being romantic in public. He thought if I tried to kiss him or hug him in public that I was trying to prove my OWNERSHIP of him. How absurd. But of course it was okay for him to be crude to me in public.<BR><BR>I'm glad you & Dayne attempted to keep up with the Parisians. ; ) Lucky YOU!!

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 08:31 AM
Wendy

Mary I have never seen so many glasses and silverware on a table then at our dinner!! <BR>First course was duck fois gras with a roasted fig- amazing!!!<BR>Second course was ravioli stuffed with morels in a cream sauce with black truffle shavings- really light and fantastic!<BR>Third Course was a red snapper fillet in a garlic aioli sauce- this was done to perfection with a slightly crispy side! All of the above courses we had with a white Chateneau du Pape which was definately one of the best white wines I have had!!<BR>Fourth course was baby rack of lamb with baby artichokes and basil sauce- at this point I was speachless!! We had a wonderful demi bottle of red with this but I can't remember what it was!!<BR>Fifth course was a creamy brie with tart julianned green apples.<BR>Dessert was an assortment of scruptious things including 10 mini tarts (5 for each) of lemon, pecan, chocolate, etc. and a napoleon with vanilla bourbon sauce and a chocolate mouse with pistachio cream sauce- we had a fantastic dessert wine- Muscat with this. Then cognac!<BR>Wow!! I really can't believe I ate it all- it was literally the best meal I have ever had!!!

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 08:45 AM
MaryC

My goodness - that sounds fantastic!!! Especially the red snapper in the aioli sauce and the baby rack of lamb w/ the baby artichokes in a basil sauce. WoW!<BR><BR>Wendy, I would be speechless, too.<BR><BR>Did Dayne survive the snow in Atlanta & make it back home okay?

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Wendy

Mary I picked Dayne up last night, they finally routed him through Cincy. He looked very tired and scruffy but said he had such a fantastic trip that it didn't matter! He is such a trooper!!! Thank goodness they didn't make him take a Smart Car to the airport! haha!

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Wendy

Another thing that Dayne and I did was we always left 7% additional tip on meals where we felt it was deserved. The waiters really seemed to appreciate this! <BR><BR>Has anyone heard if the ferris wheel came down today or maybe they will keep it up? We rode that on our last day and it was very fun. The views were amazing!

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 04:24 PM
Joy

Wendy, please forgive me for being quite naive but I have a couple of questions for you re: dinner at Taillevent:<BR>1. Was it very formal?Do my husband need a coat and tie?<BR>2. How did you order those 6 courses-were they preset already like the prix menu or did you order them individually.<BR><BR>We have been to Europe many times but alas with a child we never get to eat in a real gastronomic restaurant. This time I'll get a baby sitter (or at least try to find one either through our hotel or other sources in Paris) so we can at least experience one night of unforgettable meal.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance for your response.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Wendy

Joy,<BR><BR>Dinner at Taillevent was formal- most men were wearing a suite, I wore a little black dress with pearls. But they weren't overly stuffy. They made us feel very welcome!<BR><BR>The 6 courses were offered as a tasting menu. The menus are all in French, we felt we knew what most everything was but I asked for clarification on a few things in English and there was no problem. We had Nicholas the sommelier help us choose wine, also in English.<BR><BR>You can check out the menu's and the restaurant at http://www.taillevent.com/english/index.html<BR><BR>We felt that the pictures on the site don't do the mansion justice at all!! Our dinner was right under $500 but we had a champagne to start, a full bottle of white, a half bottle of red, glasses of dessert wine and cognac!<BR><BR>I absolutely recommend this restaurant as EVERYTHING was perfect!!<BR><BR>Hope you get a chance, make reservations as far in advance as you can- I did ours 2 months.<BR><BR>wendy

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 11:02 AM
MaryC

Wendy,<BR><BR>I am still drooling over that meal!<BR>Unfortunately, I can't justify spending that kind of $$ on my next trip (but then I don't have a boyfriend/fiancee/husband to share it with either). : ) Maybe one day!<BR>I'm SO glad you and Dayne were able to do this. Definitely one of those unforgettable moments.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 11:22 AM
L

Yes, furs are definitely in style. Friends with us had lunch at Taillevent, and it was the same tasting menu that Wendy enjoyed. They agreed - the food was superb. And everyone at that restaurant treats each guets very well. Two thoughts: on NYE, we watched the fireworks (l'artifice)being shot off at the Trocadero, and they appreared to be very small - was our impression correct? And this morning, NPR had a piece on about the ferris wheel at Place de la Concorde - it's coming down (I read in Le Figaro that 83% of parisiennes want to keep it up! I liked it!!). Paris is indeed special, and I noticed in the Post today that United is offering very cheap tix to Paris. Ciao, L

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Wendy

L; I was told the wheel was coming down on the 7th which is why we made a point to see it.<BR><BR><BR>We saw small fireworks above the wheel and were told that originally the eiffle tower was going to have some to but because of the fog they didn't set them off. <BR><BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -