Reload this Page >

Just back from Paris - any questions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 04:40 AM
Marilyn

The weather was great - grass is green and flowers are in bloom. Beautiful! If you have any questions I will try to help. I have a question of my own - does anyone know how many lights are on the Tower Eiffel for the 8pm light show? Thanks

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 04:59 AM
dana

Hi Marilyn! Glad to know the weather was good and everything is in bloom. <BR> <BR>Did you have any trouble at any destinations due to F&M? <BR> <BR>Did you get "Sprayed down" when you returned to the states? <BR> <BR>I am leaving on a 4pm flight today, and I am counting down the minutes! <BR> <BR>Thanks!

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 05:07 AM
Rex

Marilyn, <BR> <BR>Were you traveling with the two kids you love so dearly? There are a spate of threads swirling around about traveling with young teens and pre-teens. I am assembling ideas based on my track record, which includes: <BR> <BR>my first trip to Paris, at age 15 (1969) <BR> <BR>five other trips to Paris, solo, or solely with adults, most of these short, and business-connected, typically "passing through" for a day or two. <BR> <BR>the recollections of our 17 yr old daughter who lived with a family in Paris for three weeks at age 11 (1995) <BR> <BR>a two-night stop in Paris with 11 kids, age 14-22 in 1998 <BR> <BR>and three weeks I spent in the Vernon vicinity (1999) with fourteen 11 year olds, which included two day trips into Paris, and almost daily outings in the Vexin region of Normandy. <BR> <BR>So, I am working on putting together some info that you don't just bang out in ten minutes. Multiple threads on this subject are not a bad thing. different needs for different families (especially for different duration stays in Paris). <BR> <BR>How many days (nights) were you in Paris? Did you stay put that whole time? <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 05:45 AM
Marilyn

Dana, F&M is not a problem(for travelers) if one stays in a city, which we did. No spraying - but you will be asked on leaving if you were exposed to any farm animals and if you were in the countryside etc. It did get chilly at night so be sure to pack a heavy sweater. Don't forget your umbrella! Have a wonderful time! Rex, I would like to take a moment to thank you for your travel advice. I have utilized your suggestions and enjoyed your observations. To clarify - my husband and I lived in Brussels last year and my "dear" children set me up with this e-mail name so I would not forget them while we did the ex-pat thing. They visited us frequently while we were there but they elected to stay stateside to attend college. I took my daughters to Paris last month, so this trip was for my husband. We stayed in Paris for a week. Had thought we would get into the country - we love it so - but were having too much fun to leave Paris. My girls never had a problem with getting around Europe. My youngest (17) spent last summer travelling through France and Italy with a friend(gasp - no parents). I did request they stay at hotels rather than youth hostels but that was my only concern. In my opinion, we are more protective with our youth here than in Europe - maybe for good reason. I don't understand the concern on the threads "what to do with the kids - will they be bored? etc. That was never a problem with mine. They loved and appreciated every moment. Your situation sounds different with larger groups, however. From my experience in the education system, there is always one child who "wanders off". That would be a large responsibility - any scarey tales? I am rambeling on - must be jet lag. Thanks again for all you do for this site! Marilyn

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 08:39 AM
Alexis

Marilyn, <BR> Glad to hear that you had a wonderful time. I have a few questions regarding the City of Lights. I'll be in Paris in approx. 5 weeks and wondered if there is any last minute advice you could give to a first timer in Paris? <BR>I will be there for 7 glorious days. Did you notice any major strikes, construction, etc that could possibly interfere with travel plans? <BR> <BR>Thanks in Advance

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 09:35 AM
Caitlin

If you're referring to the strobe light show that began New Year's 2000, I read that it is 20,000 individual bulbs.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 10:02 AM
Marilyn

Alexis, I sent you an e-mail with more discussion. Feel free to mail back with your questions. <BR>Catlin, thanks for the info. The light show is amazing! Saw it several times and was on the Tower once while it was going. Marilyn

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 02:18 PM
marissa

when is the light show?

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 02:48 PM
Marilyn

Marissa, the light show is on every night at 8opm. It is quite breathtaking. My husband and I were on top of the Arc de Triomphe the first time we saw it. I recommend this site for the viewing - of course one can't mind climbing steps - HA!

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 03:04 PM
Tammy

Marilyn, Glad to hear that you had a great time in Paris! You can never get tired of seeing the Eiffel Tower all lit up at night, it's just wonderful

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 06:17 PM
xxx

Why did you come back?

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 06:19 PM
xxx

Yes, why did you come back?