Just back from Mykonos/Santorini

Old Oct 18th, 2000, 05:22 PM
Kevin

Just back from Mykonos/Santorini

Just got back yesterday from my honeymoon. I loved Greece!!!! It is beautiful! Stayed 1 night in Athens (Grande Bretagne), 4 nights in Mykonos (Santa Marina), 4 nights in Santorini (Katikies), and 4 nights in Rome (Hotel Sofitel). If anyone wants to hear my recent take on the islands, feel free to ask, as I also used this forum before my trip!!!

Old Oct 18th, 2000, 09:11 PM
Diane

Kevin, I know that Santa Marina is part of Sheraton's Luxury Collection. What can you tell us about the hotel?

Old Oct 18th, 2000, 11:23 PM
Paige

Did you fly to the islands or take ferries? How did that go? I was there recently and the ferries were a mess! Is Katikies in Ia? What did you do in Santorini?

Old Oct 23rd, 2000, 04:45 PM
kevin

Hello Diane,

Santa Marina is a wonderful hotel. It has a private beach (pebble), delicious buffet breakfast, great swimming pool. It is walking distance from Ornos Bay and is about a 10 minute bus ride from Mykonos city. (It also has a helicopter pad for high rollers who just hate planes and ferries.) Our apartment had a balcony with a view overlooking the water. We found it very convenient, as we could escape the crowds at will, and still be able to get to Mykonos city each night for dinner/shopping. One day, we walked a few minutes from our hotel to Ornos, where we caught the water taxi to explore other beaches on the island. I can't speak about other hotels on Mykonos, but a taxi driver told me that if Santa Marina is not the best, it is definitely in the top 3.

Old Oct 23rd, 2000, 05:02 PM
Vickie

I too am interested in knowing how you got from place to place. Would also like to know about your hotel and what you did in Santorini.
Was October a good time to visit these places? I did a short cruise of some of the Greek Islands a few years ago in the middle of November and it was really too late in the season-in port only in the dark in Mykonos (short days) and stormy seas. I'm very interested in any additional information you can provide about these islands.

Old Oct 23rd, 2000, 05:10 PM
Kevin

Hi Paige,

I flew from Athens to Mykonos and then to Santorini. I had no problems with Olimpic Airlines. (The flights were simple and quite short.) I didn't use the ferries because I thought I'd lose precious vacation time in transit.)

Katikies is in Oia and is simply incredible. Very romantic, STUNNING swimming pools and suites overlooking the caldera, and walking distance to the charming restaurants/shops of Oia.

My wife and I explored Oia (which we found to be the most charming part of a very beautiful island), took a half-day boat excursion to the volcano, hotsprings and Thirasia, visited Perissa and Kamari (both black pebble/sand beaches), visited Red beach, and spent a day in Fira. We tried visiting the ruins at Akrotiri, but it was closed as it was on a Monday.

Kevin

Old Oct 23rd, 2000, 05:36 PM
kevin

Hi Vickie,

I too was worried that October might be a bit cold for Greece. Luckily, we had great weather. It was around 75-80F during the days and cooled to the mid 60s at night. (We were there the first 2 weeks of October.) I went swimming every day, and even tried a little snorkling. I wore shorts and a tee shirt every day. At night, however, you needed a light sweater.

I didn't think the days were that short, as sunset occurred around 7pm.

As for transporation, I used the bus, rented a car, and happily walked around Oia.

As I mentioned above, my wife and I stayed at Katikies. It was the highlight of our honeymoon. I can't recommend it enough. Breathtaking views of the caldera, sensational pools, terrific service, bathroom with jacuzzi, tv, sony cd player, and private decks. When we arrived, we were greeted with champaigne.

Although we had great weather, I think I will try visiting Greece in September next time, just to be on the safe side.