Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Just back from Italy: Rome to Positano and in between!!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2001, 06:15 PM
Len

The trip was absolutely amazing. Rome is magical, It was like going back in time. Stayed at the Pantheon Hotel which was very nice. Then went to Cassino and my Mom's town of Sant Ambroggio. Phenomenal! Positano was beautiful but you only need a couple of days there. The train was a nightmare but otherwise I can't wait to go back. Any questions please ask.

Old May 14th, 2001, 06:27 PM
kymberlee

Hi, <BR>I am an art student heading to rome with my sister in June. Can you tell me if you know about the subway system, that sort of thing? <BR>thanks, <BR>kymberlee

Old May 14th, 2001, 06:34 PM
Len

I never really used it as you can walk everywhere. Although it seems very big Rome really is not that large. I even walked to the Vatican from my hotel near the Pantheon and it only took 15 minutes. It is easy to walk. There are also many buses going everywhere. I hear the subway system is good I just did not use it. Sorry!

Old May 14th, 2001, 06:38 PM
StCirq

Just out of curiosity, I want to know what you meant by "the train was a nightmare." Having had several "train was a nightmare" experiences in that part of Italy myself, I'd be grateful to hear what happened to you.

Old May 15th, 2001, 02:04 PM
Len

We drove from Positano to Salerno and dropped of our rental car there. I had pre-purchased first class Eurostar tickets back to Rome. When we arrived we found out that the Eurostar was three hours delayed because of an accident the day before. When I asked the station manager what I should do he told me and my family to get on the approaching IC train to Rome. He said even though we didn't have reserved seats we shouldn't have a problem finding empty seats. Already aggravated by this, I said OK, as I had already dropped off my rental car, and we got on the IC train as it unload hundreds of screaming soccer fans and their team. The track was packed with policemen trying to control the crowds and safely get the soccer team off the train. When we got on the train it was disgusting. There was garbage and cigarette butts everywhere from the maniacal fans. We found seats onlt to be kicked out a few minutes later by those who had reserved those seats. We found other seats only to be kicked out again in Naples. The train became packed in Naples with people packing the aisles standing like sardines. My mother and I were so disgusted, it had ruined our day and really put a damper on a wonderful week, so we got off the train in Naples and rented another car and drove to Rome. By the time we got to Rome, we were mentally and physically exhausted. Not an efficient system at all. I guess like Alitalia which was delayed 3 and a half hours on my trip from NYC to Rome. What can you do?