Reload this Page >

Just back from Ireland - any questions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2001, 07:16 AM
Jill

We had a wonderful time in Ireland. Here are the places we stayed: <BR> <BR>Dublin - Trinity Lodge on S. Frederick St. - Wonderful location - <BR> <BR>Killarney - The Copper Kettle B&B - Great location and room with all the amenities <BR> <BR>Cork area- Ballyvolane House in Castlyons (north of Cork)Wonderful history. You can find out more about this house on hidden-ireland.com <BR> <BR>Galway - Marless House B & B on Threadneedle Road- the best B & B out of all of them. I heard about it on this website.

Old May 30th, 2001, 09:04 AM
Kathy

We'll be going in July and will only be there one week. What things did you see that impressed you the most? Any thing that did not live up to your expectations or was too touristy? Did you drive and enjoy the experience? Thanks for sharing!

Old May 30th, 2001, 09:32 AM
jill

Yes, we drove 850 miles! The most enjoyable part of the trip was the visit to Inishmore (sp?) the largest of the Aran Islands. (We took the ferry from Rossaveel- which is an hour's drive from Galway) The walk up to Dun Aengus on the island to look over the edge of the cliff was amazing. That was my favorite. <BR> <BR>The cliffs of Moher were just as scenic but you couldn't walk to the edge. Blarney Castle was "touristy". We thought Cahir Castle in the town of Cahir was just as interesting. <BR> <BR>We really enjoyed the towns of Killarney and Killkenny. Cork did not live up to our expectations, but we may not have gone to the right part of the city. <BR>Definitely drive into the Burren region if you can. The scenery was truly amazing. Also liked driving the Dingle peninsula more than the Ring of Kerry. But the Ring of Kerry was still very scenic. <BR>Hope this helps. I read the posting on this site for almost 3 months prior to leaving. I am excited to finally share some of the good advice!! <BR> <BR>

Old May 30th, 2001, 10:25 AM
Ann

Why couldn't you walk to the edge at the Cliffs of Moher? I hope they haven't put fences up since I was there last.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 12:17 PM
Bridget

Did you encounter any "attractions" or "sites" that were closed due to Hoof & Mouth? Or has our news media in the States been over playing the impact on tourism in Ireland. We are interested in an early fall vacation to Ireland. Any must-do's are appreciated.