Reload this Page >

just another 11 day ireland itinerary CHANGE 1

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 02:31 AM
mark

ok, ok, ok after you people have so kindly set me straight on my over-aggressive itinerary here is my new plan:<BR><BR>Day 1 through 11: open<BR><BR>just kidding.<BR><BR>Day 1: Shannon to Kinsale, via Rock of Cashel. 130 miles with lunch stop at mid point in Cashel. ViaMichelin shows it is about a 3.5 hour drive. <BR><BR>Day 2: Waterford, Cobh, Blarney<BR><BR>Day 3: Mizzen Head, Beara <BR><BR>Day 4: (change) Drive to Dingle for the night. 95 miles 3 hours.<BR><BR>Day 5: (change) Drive to Doolin for the night. 97 miles 4 hours.<BR><BR>Day 6: (change) Drive to Galway. 45 miles 2.5 hours.<BR><BR>Day 7: Connemara, Cong<BR><BR>Day 8: Train trip to Dublin and return<BR><BR>Days 9 and 10: open<BR><BR>Day 11: Drive to Shannon for next day departure. <BR><BR>OK folks, how's that.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 07:26 AM
JohnL

Sounds much more reasonable. Just remain flexible and remember, you can't see it all the first time, but you will see enough to make you want to return. Watch for the old gents on bikes and dogs in the middle of the road. (Another thread had a good suggestion about storing your hubcaps in the trunk so you won't have to pay for replacements.)

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 07:51 AM
Leslie

Based on my own experience, which I have already shared, I do not believe you will make it from Shannon to Kinsale in 3.5 hours. If you allow 2 hours for Cashel and lunch, I'll be surprised if you make it by dark.<BR><BR>I think you are going to spend most of your first week in the car. While that might be OK with good weather, you might also have rain and fog which limits visibility (we did, in August) and may not see much from your car window.<BR><BR>I do hope you have a great trip, but will be interested in a trip report when you get back. Best wishes.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 08:29 AM
John

Hi Mark,<BR><BR>Great adjustments. <BR><BR>It doesn't really matter about your drive times now . . . if it is 2.5 or 3, or 3.5 or 4.5, or 5 vs 6 hours who cares?<BR><BR>Have a great time.<BR><BR><BR>

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Jane

Hi Mark,<BR><BR>It still sounds very aggressive.<BR><BR>I'd skip Dublin this trip and add another night to Kinsale (the start of your trip and you will be wiped) and another night in Dingle. Two great places.<BR><BR>It's nice to set your bags down for more than one night - because you spend a whole day getting there - just to wake up and drive out again.<BR><BR>Have fun.<BR><BR>And let us know if there is a CHANGE 2<BR><BR>Jane<BR>

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 09:15 AM
cd

Just have a great time....and you really already are because planning the trip and reading about the country is half the fun!