Reload this Page >

Just a couple of questions about Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 01:40 PM
Judith Needleman

Can anyone tell me what kind of hair dryer works in Italy amd I also wonder if anyone has any information on the Hotel Marghera in Rome. Would appreciate any help

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 01:44 PM
xxx

Many hotels have built-in hair dryers in the bathroom, so many you don't need to take one.

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 02:24 PM
Marilyn Ham

Yes, most hotels in Italy have hair dryers, but if you stay in the Bed and Blessings convents you won't find hair dryers. I took a hair dryer to Italy on our first trip, along with the converter. It blew out the electricity in our 16th century hotel. Marilyn

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 03:41 PM
Linda

To answer the hair-dryer question as posed: You have three options. 1) Buy a dual voltage (i.e., travel) dryer to take with you. If it doesn't already have the correct plug, you will need an adapter. 2) Carry a transformer or converter that is large enough to accomodate your 120V hair dryer, i.e., for a 1600 watt hair dryer you will need a transformer or converter of at least that wattage. (This is the least desirable option--lugging a transformer would be extremely tiresome--they're heavy--and a converter, as pointed out by Marilyn, doesn't always work terribly well.) Or 3) Buy a hair dryer when you get to Italy. They are inexpensive and readily available. Just ask your hotel. Also, yes, many hotels have hair dryers, but not all. And even those that don't sometimes have have some for issue by the front desk. But that leaves the odd one that doesn't, and, if your hair is like mine, you must have a hair dryer just to get dressed and look decent. (I have a dual-voltage that I've had for years--wouldn't go without it.)

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 03:54 PM
Jessycat

I just returned. There are hairdryers in the room but they are similar to a vacuum hose. I took a small travel hairdyer and a adapter for Italy. You can find both at a travel store. The dryer was $15 and the adapter was $2.50.<BR>My curling hair had dual voltage(found at a beauty supply store) so I only needed the adapter. J