Reload this Page >

Jungfrau Railway - Switzerland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 09:46 PM
scott

Is the trip to Jungfraujoch in Switzerland worth the money? From Interlaken, how much time should I expect this trip to take?<BR><BR>

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 08:51 AM
Bob Brown

I have been to the Jungfraujoch and I personally thought it a very memorable experience. We walked out to the M&ouml;nchjochh&uuml;tte, a hiking shelter that holds 120 or so people dormintory style with provision for meals. <BR>But, saying if "it is worth it" is asking me for a value judgement where you are concerned when I don't know your finances, what you expect, or what you like.<BR><BR>The trip is fairly expensive, so I have not repeated it on subsequent visits to Lauterbrunnen. As far as the travel schedule goes, visit http://www.rail.ch/index_e.htm<BR>and ask away.<BR>The length of time up is nearly 2.5 hours and the normal cost is 162 francs undiscounted. The Good Morning ticket which requires a 6:30 start from Interlaken Ost is 125 francs, undiscounted.<BR>When I went I had the Swiss Card which gave me 50% off. Of course whether or not the card reaches the break even point depends on what else you do.<BR>Right now 162 chf converts to a little less than $100; 125 chf converts to about $75. Of course it depends on the rate at the time you make the purchase. <BR><BR>

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 12:10 PM
dan woodlief

I asked myself the same question before doing it, but I have spent $75 on things a lot less memorable. Frankly, it was way more than worth the cost, and I never thought about how much it cost after the train started up. Do allow yourself some time at Kleine Scheidegg (the point of departure for the Jungfraujoch) too before or after the journey. It is a bit touristy, but you won't find more spectacular views anywhere. I can also recommend a couple of good walks in the vacinity. You can walk either Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg, an easy hour-long walk with lots of cows and great views of the main peaks. You can also take a much longer walk (maybe 2 hours) from Kleine Scheidegg, overlooking the Lauterbrunnen Valley, to the nice town of Wengen.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 02:23 PM
Sandy

On our very first trip anywhere, my friend and I went to Europe for 3 weeks . . . we used us almost our whole cache of film on the trip up to the top! It turned out to be the highlight of our trip and we had an enchanted 3 weeks.<BR><BR>We were on a very tight budget and would never have done it except the owner of our (very inexpensive) guesthouse just about insisted that we go. She said it was the last day of the season and that the weather would be perfect . . . we went and it was magical.<BR><BR>You just can't imagine how beautiful the scenery is (we're from Texas and it's VERY flat where we live).<BR><BR>Go, you won't regret it!<BR>Sandy

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 04:14 PM
Karen

Hi Scott,<BR>We took a 2 week trip through Germany, Switzerland, and Austria the summer before last, and the Jungfraujoch excursion was our most memorial. The scenery is spectacular. When you get to the top it is like being in what you might expect the North Pole to look like. I would suggest you do the train, the cable car and some hiking to get all the differnt perspectives. It was worth more than the money and time expended. Enjoy

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 04:20 PM
Lauren

I understand the view can be spectacular. The disappointment if the weather gods are not with you is also spectacular.<BR><BR>The one time I did this we got tickets for the early morning run ahead of time, got up to the top, and could not see our hands in front of our faces. I found out later that it is often very foggy in the morning--which is the reason for the cheaper price for the early morning trip.<BR><BR>Do not make the mistake I made--and do check for the weather on top before buying your ticket.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 04:53 PM
Anna

As the other posters have said, it is worth it. We were there in October a few years back and took the early train. My husband woke up, looked out the window and saw stars around 6:00AM(it was clear!). The clouds started to roll in when we had to take the train back down around noon. We walked part of the way down from Kleine Scheidigg to the next train stop and caught the train again. Rick Steve's describes the hike in his book. It is a beautiful walk with spectacular scenery. I think you can absorb it more when you are walking as opposed to riding in the train. We purchased our tickets that morning at the station in Lauterbrunnen (we were staying in Gimmelwald). The day we were there it clouded up in the afternoon.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 07:13 PM
Bob Brown

I fully agree with the comment that fog and clouds can spoil the Jungfraujoch trip.<BR><BR>I understand all of the glowing comments full well. I am, however, going to state a second opinion. Yes, as I stated above, the trip for us was very memorable, BUT my wife and I agree on one aspect of our multiple visits to the Berner Oberland: The gondola ride from Grindelwald to First plus the hike to the Faulhorn and back is the most spectacular excursion you can make in area. <BR>(First is the name of the station at the end of the gondola ride; it has nothing to do with second.)<BR>

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Patrick

Bob, we got a late start and only made it to the lake, then hiked all the way back down a different way -- it was spectacular. But I was told the best way to do this trip is to go up to the Faulhorn by train from somewhere down below (near Interlaken?) then hike back to Grindlewald from the top. Any information on this??

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 09:41 AM
Ingo

Patrick,<BR><BR>people told you about the trip by cog-wheel train from Wilderswil to Schynige Platte. From there you have to hike about 5 or 6 hours via Faulhorn and Bachalpsee to First. This is definitely a panoramic hiking tour and memorable for the rest of your life. It is also offered as a guided tour at night in moonlight! And you also can split the tour staying overnight in the hotel on top of the Faulhorn mountain.<BR><BR>Concerning the trip to Jungfraujoch: I must admit it is a great experience, but 1) only if the weather is fine and 2) if you do the walk across the glacier to the Moenchsjochhuette. Almost the whole train ride is in the tunnel and you have panoramic views only from the short stops at Eigerwand and Eismeer. I did many train rides to viewing points in the Alps and f.e. enjoyed the trip to Gornergrat above Zermatt much more and the Bernina Express (maybe with a short cable car trip to Diavolezza), too. <BR><BR>Ingo

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Bob Brown

I think Ingo gave the answer about the trail from Schynige Platte to First. The train leaves from Wilderwil, which is about 1 mile south of Interlaken, and ascends the ridge to Schynige Platte. Then it is a long hike to First, something like 7 hours for a fast walker. I have not attempted it because I was not sure if I could make the traverse quickly enough to take the last ride down, regardless of direction.<BR>There is also another problem that you can encounter, which stopped me cold in 1998. Just below the Faulhorn summit is a trail that branches off toward Schynige Platte. It was covered in ice and very narrow with a steep dropoff. I would not try it without an ice axe, a rope and a partner that knew what he or she was doing. Whether or not this short section of trail is covered with ice and snow depends on the weather. Two years ago it was clear.<BR>Yes the hike is a nice one, and I have hiked part of the way from Schynige Platte. I don't think you see that much more by taking it, although there is a lot of scenery to be enjoyed. I believe that you can get 90% of what is available if you get up high enough on the Faulhorn to see the Thuner See and the Brienzer See which lie on either side of Interlaken. Then you can turn around 180 degrees and look south at the Fensteraarhorn, Schreckhorn, Eiger, M&ouml;nch, and Jungfrau, among others.<BR><BR>And yes that Gornergrat ride is a fun one. We got off at Rodenboden and walked up to the Gorgrat Station. <BR>The view of Monte Rosa and the glacier is staggering. The day we did it was one of those days that started out clear but by the time we had walked to the Gornergrat cafe, it was snowing so hard that the trail was soon obscured.<BR>I opted to return via train.<BR><BR>One thing about the Faulhorn trip. Don't do it in a thunderstorm! I started out once in the rain, and as I was ascending the ridge beyond the Bachalp See, lightening started flashing. There was nothing around taller than I am except for a few rocks.<BR>Hence I opted to retreat. It is not my life's ambition to end my days as a medium well done hamburger on an alpine trail.<BR><BR>