June weather in northern Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Venice, the Dolomites, Lake Como and Milan in mid-June, 10th to the 21st. We have been to Venice in mid-June previously and we needed light jackets in the morning and evening. We've never been to the other destinations so need first hand weather information/recomendations. In our previous June trips to Italy we have visited Tuscany down to Amalfi and it has been from just warm to Africa hot. Pretty easy to pack for hot weather, but with this being farther north, I am wondering what to pack and for what possible/probable weather.
Thanks! (Remember me, I'm the one who is planning on packing a carry -on only. Uh-oh.)
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 12:52 PM

We just got back from Italy the other day - were in Riva del Garda, Bologna, and Milan, and the coat that I packed stayed in my suitcase the whole time. I wore a medium weight sweater over a long sleeve shirt and that was ample. The day we got to Milan, it was actually too warm to wear a sweater.
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 01:16 PM

Hello rbnwdlen, when I have been in the Dolomiti I had always had a jacket and had often needed it in the evening as one is up in the mountains and it can get chilly. No problem regarding just taking carryon luggage, and good for you, just wear the jacket onto the plane. Personally I often get cold on planes so a jacket onboard is useful also. I have a midthigh jacket that is cut so it can actually be worn over a blazer if necessary. So if you planned on wearing your lightweight jacket on the plane just take and wear a "warmer" jacket that will fit over your lightweight jacket for the few minutes getting on the plane. At least that is what has always worked quite well for me. And enjoy, you are going to some very beautiful areas!
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 01:21 PM
ira

Hi rb,

You can get weather forecasts 10 days in advance at www.weather.com

Old Apr 25th, 2009, 01:33 PM

Yes but the weather reports are not always accurate for Italy, even the Italians complain about that. Best if one is going to be in the Dolomiti to have some sort of outerwear for the evenings or early morning if they plan to be outdoors.
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 02:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi rbnwdln,

ditto what the others have said. things can be very changeable in the mountains - you can be boiling at th ebottom of the hill but the top can be in freezing fog.

thin anoraks that you can pack down small and keep in a day sac would be useful.

regards, ann
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

It sounds like I need to have my bases covered. I don't want to bring a big jacket. I have a thin trench coat that is just thigh length that I want to wear on the plane. I think I will bring a couple long sleeved t-shirts to wear if it is cool. I remember once being so cold in Scotland that I wore my husband's undershirts under my clothes! I will check the weather beforehand but that is not always reliable anywhere. I am always freezing in San Francisco no matter what the temperature reads. Thanks for all the help so far!
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 04:34 PM

Go to wunderground.com , then check trip planning, enter your dates and you will see what the weather has been for the last 10 years. Its a great resource.
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 02:58 AM

layers, rbndln, layers.

personally I would not bring a trench coat - they are not very useful outside town. a fleece and waterproof jacket [doesn't have to be big, just effective!] would be far more practical in the mountains and can be worn in town as well.

on our june trip to Austria we will have the same problem - we are only checking one bag [max 15kgs] and our carry-ons are limited to 10kgs each. [good old Ryanair!] so I will be wearing all my heavy cold/wet weather gear and my walking boots [which should cut a dash at the airport] and packing my posh lightweight clothes for the opera.

have a great trip,

regards, ann
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

annhig - I checked weatherunderground for Bolzano and the avg temp in mid-June is high 60's to upper 80's. I don't want to take a fleece jacket because it will take half my suitcase and am not going to wear a fleece jacket on the plane in June. I will buy one there if I need one. BUT I will take your advice on the waterproof jacket. This may sound dumb but can anyone give me an idea of where to buy a waterproof jacket that will take up very minimal room in my suitcase? I have never owned a windbreaker in my life. I am not an outdoorsy person and if it is that windy and rainy, I stay inside! Haha Thanks!
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 07:29 AM

rbnwdln - assuming you are from the US I can't help with where to get a waterproof except that Land's end usually have a range and I think they are a US company. I'm sure that there are others here who can help though and I have a memory of some threads about outdoors clothing before.

the temperatures you have seen for Bolzano are probably for day-time at the bottom of the mountain. here's an example of how things can change - a few years ago we were in Garda in August when it was VERY hot, so decided to go further up the lake to a place where you can get a cable car to the top of the mountain. it was baking hot and sunny at the bottom, cold and foggy at the top. we were freezing [though we had packaway waterproofs with us like t heones I mentioned above].

my point is that in the mountains, you can't assume that because it's warm and sunny when you set out, it'll stay that way - it's not like you've decided to go out when it's been cold and rainy. you can get cold very quickly.

also it can be cold at night, and a fleece could be useful then. but then you can always buy one!

regards, ann
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 07:38 AM

Bring silk underwear from Winter Silk.com, a fleece vest and some kind of fold-up waterproof jacket with a hood. If you live in America, you can get cheap waterproof jackets (and fleece vests) from Land's End or L.L. Bean. Try Clearance first.

I live in northern Italy, and last year it rained from about June 1 to June 21. We hope it doesn't do the same this year!
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 07:41 AM

http://www.landsend.com/pp/WindPocke...2&origin=index
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 07:43 AM

Land's End and LL Bean both have a range of water resistant windbreaker jackets. I find Land's End to be reliable, budget-friendly, and superb for on line service.

You'll see a range of options from rain-resistant to rain-proof, with Goretex being at the high-end. They pack up *very* small and are light in the luggage.
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 07:44 AM

PS to everybody: Last night I remarked to my husband that it was finally warm enough to start eating dinner outside at night. Today I woke up to cold rain, and walking down the mountainside to the sea, I had on silk underwear, jersey pants, a fleece vest, a sweater ponch and I tossed on my hooded coat to keep off the pouring rain. It's going to be like this for a couple of days.

If you travel to Italy and experience sunny weather -- good for you! It's not a basis for which you can safely predict to others what they will experience at the same time of year or in the future.
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 11:30 AM

Here's a chart of average weather for many places in Europe, including several cities in Italy. Just scroll down the page.

http://tours.ricksteves.com/tours08/weather.cfm
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

zeppole - You rock! I ordered the jacket. Thanks!
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 12:57 PM

Great! On another thread about Italy I was accused of being in need of medication, so this makes me feel better.
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 01:16 PM

Well zeppole, guess we could all use some medications at one point or another in our life. I always have a difficult time with answering questions about the weather in Italy as I have experienced so many different weather patterns no matter what the time of the year I have been in Italy. I just try to pack in a way to cover all weather possibiities.

I am glad that you found a jacket you liked rbnwdln. At some point I am sure you will be glad you have with with you.
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 01:19 PM

Love, I'll stick with the local wine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -