Search

june in spain

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 07:21 PM
juli

june in spain

We are planning to take our three kids12, 18 & 20 to Spain in the middle of June and spend about 2-3 weeks. We have a few questions--what kind of weather can we expect? We were thinking of starting in the South and working our way through Madrid to end up in Santander. What's the best way to get around -- renting a car or trains? Both my older kids are pretty fluent in Spainish as taught in California-- will they be able to understand Spanish Spanish? Thanks

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 07:24 AM
Ana

Weather - the best just smack in the middle of spring.<BR>The south (Andalucia) is breathtaking. Marbella, Granada (my personal favorite), Sevilla, Jerez de la Frontera, Cordoba (don't miss the mezquite). <BR>Madrid - wonderful. El Prado, la Cibeles, the people, the food, etc. etc.<BR>Santander - haven't been. <BR>You will have no problem getting around by car. Take your time and explore bakc streets, and mingle with the people. <BR>It gets boring if you limit yourself to monuments, etc. The people are wonderful, especially in andalucia.<BR>Enjoy

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 12:29 PM
John G

If you go to the Cordoba, Seville, Granada area in mid-June it will be very hot, as much as (98) in Granada--but no humidity so it is bearable. It is only the sun beating down on you that you have to worry about. I would drive if I were you; you will have greater freedom and it is very easy to drive--you don't have to speak Spanish since almost everyone along the major motor routes speak some to very good English. Im sure your kids will be understand the Spanish spoken in Spain, only the accent is different. But, they may have much trouble in Barcelona because everyone speaks Catalan.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 12:37 PM
Jessica

The climate really varies Andalusia and Madrid can be quite warm. The Northern Spanish coast will be a bit cooler. I have enjoyed travelling both by car and bus. A car gives you freedom to explore sights off the beaten path. Travelling by bus/train allows you to soak in the sights without having your head buried in a road map. However, some cities (especially the smaller ones) may only have 1 or 2 bus/train routes per day -- so you're somewhat restricted. You can check on schedules on the RENFE website. And you'll be surprised by just how much you're kids will know. I happen to adore Northern Spain (San Sebastian a favorite).

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 01:34 PM
ana

Sorry to contradict you John G., but weather in June is fine. Now July and August are something else.<BR>