July Trip to England

Mar 26th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Wendy Z

July Trip to England

My husband and I will be taking a trip to England this July. We have tentative plans to spend 6 nights in London, rent a car and drive to the Cotswolds for 2 nights, drive to Bath and spend 2 nights, and finally drive to the Kent area and spend 3 nights. We were wondering if we should spend 3 nights in Kent or 3 nights in the Cotswolds. Which area has more to do. We know we want to see Sissinghurst, Hever or Leeds Castle, mabe Canterbury,Hidcote maner, Barnsley Housek, Warwick Castle, & Stratford upon Avon. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mar 26th, 2002, 02:00 PM
janis

Wendy - if it were me I would spend 3 nights in the Cotswolds AND 3 nights in Kent and cut Bath to 1 night.

The Cotswolds are more compact than Kent/East Sussex but there is a LOT to see. And in Kent you could easily spend more than a week just visiting the gardens.

Bath is magnificent - but it is very small and very walkable and you can easily see everything in 1.5 days. I would drive to Bath in the morning, stay one night and leave about midday the next day. Drive via Stonehenge and on to Kent arriving in the early evening.

So looking at the wonderful places you want to see in Kent and the cotswolds it would be a shame to miss out on any of them.

Mar 26th, 2002, 02:31 PM
tom

Janis pretty much hit it on the head. Only having three days for the Cotswolds & Warwick, amd three days for Kent will barely give you time to scratch the surface.

We have been to Bath many times and really love it, but you do not need two days there.

Mar 26th, 2002, 03:28 PM
Ellen

If you want to see Stratford and Warwick, you might want to stay in the northern edge of the Cotswolds for a night or two. We did two nights near Stratford and then two in Bath but really only spent the middle day in Bath. Don't miss Walcot Street for quaint shops, including urban reclamation and glassblowing.

Mar 26th, 2002, 03:45 PM
sam

I would definitely recommend three nights in the Cotswolds and only one night in the bath. YOU ARE ON VACATION FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. If you stay in there longer your skin will be pruny and dry and this could affect your trip. You will be grouchy and itchy, although I am sure you would smell quite nice.

YOU MUST, while you are in London, see Ali G. In DA House. It is a cinematic masterpiece. He is the U.K.'s answer to the brilliant Adam Sandler. Also, be sure to eat at either Aberdeen's or Angus's steak house. they have the best steak you'll ever have. If you go to see the changing of the guards, make sure to take an umbrella (brallie)and wear a raincoat as it is now a common custom to throw eggs, tomatoes, and other miscellaneous fruits and vegetables. Remember to pack a wrap as it gets chilly in the evenings. And, last but not least, be sure to wear your underwear on your head (buy them at Mark's and Spencer's)when you greet the queen (she really appreciates the effort).
Love,
Sam

As for London,

Mar 26th, 2002, 04:23 PM
Wendy Z

Thanks for your advice. I think I will stay only one night in Bath and 3 nights in both the Cotswolds and Kent.
Does anyone have any advice on where to stay in those places--or in London for that matter?

Wendy

Mar 26th, 2002, 04:39 PM
AlfyEdawrds

Do not go--it is the most deadful place. It is polluted, the people are rude and snotty, and the crime rate is almost as bad as many cities in the US. Stay home!

Mar 26th, 2002, 04:45 PM
agnes

don't listen to alfy, engalnd is gland. i luv it. go to cool places like buckinham palace and windser place. it is fun and cool and i like it. alfy is stoopid. have fun in uk.
aggie

Mar 26th, 2002, 10:47 PM
janis

I usually stay in self catering cottages in both the cotswolds and in Kent but they usually require a week's stay. So others will have to give yo specific recommendations about B&Bs. But the areas I recommend are: In the Cotswolds somewher in a triangle from Burford to Broadway to Northleach. This area is sort in the center of things and a quick drive to Oxford, Woodstock/Blenheim, Warwick/Stratford, Hidcote, etc. There are scores of B&Bs in all the villages/towns. If you want to stay in a larger village look in Stow on the Wold, Burford or Winchcombe. Each has several good pubs and lots of small shops.

in Kent stay somewhere within 10 miles of Cranbrook. Again, there are many (MANY!) B&Bs in the area and you will be centrally located for Sissinghurst, Scotney, Bodiam Castle, Rye, Hever, Penshurts, Chartwell, Dover and Leeds. The MUSTS are Sissinghurst, Scotney, Hever and Dover. The ones to see if you have time include Bodiam, Leeds, Penshurst, Chartwell, Walmer and Deal.

Mar 26th, 2002, 10:53 PM
janis

gee - too many typos! But you get the idea I hope.

Mar 27th, 2002, 04:13 AM
Ellen

In Bath we really liked the Sydney Gardens Hotel (really a B&B, huge English breakfast), which is right on the park (private locked gate!) and just a few minutes' walk into town. We were glad to have stayed on the outskirts so we didn't have to drive into Bath proper, it's truly a walking town.

Mar 27th, 2002, 04:31 AM
mary

I am biased because I am an American currently living in Kent- but my vote is for the time in Kent. You don't mention Dover castle- it is a must! (Where else can you learn about WWII history (secret wartime tunnels) and the siege of 1216 in the same place?) After the castle we always stop in at Cullins Yard for a meal- great bitter on tap and fresh seafood brought in daily (on the docks- 11 Cambridge Rd,) Look into getting a multiday Overseas Visitor Pass English Heritage pass- it may save you £ (go to www.english-heritage.org.uk for info). Enjoy your visit! Cheers, Mary

Mar 27th, 2002, 08:31 AM
janis

An even better bargain than the English heritage pass is the Great British Heritage Pass. They come in 7, 15 or 30 day options. For your trip 15 day ones would work but you won't use it as much in London so even a 7 day will save you hundreds of $.

Things covered (just a partial list) in the areas you will be include: Blenheim, Warwick, all the Shakespeares properties in Stratford, Roman Baths, Hidecote, Snowshill, Chedworth Roman Villa Hailes Abbey, Stonehenge, Sissinghirst, Dover, Scotney, Walmer, Deal, Hever, Chartwell, Penshurst Place, Leeds, Knole, Tower of London, Windsor Castle, Hampton Court Palace.

As you can see - you would not have to pay to enter most of the things you want to see. (The tower of London only gives a 50% discount all others are totally prepaid) The prices may have gone up but last year the Passes cost $51 for 7 days and $79 for 15 days.

Just a vist to Warwick, Stratford and Belnheim would just about pay for a seven day pass

Mar 27th, 2002, 08:46 AM
meg

Hi Wendy
I live near Stratford and would suggest you stay in the northern part of the Cotswolds. Chipping Campden is a delightful Cotswold town with a beautiful church and unspoilt medieval main street, The Cotswold House Hotel has a good local reputation. Stratford is about 10 miles (half an hour drive)away, Warwick a further 10 miles on. If you want to see Blenheim and Oxford then stay in Woodstock. Burford is also a lovely little place. The Bay Tree Hotel is reputed to be good. I also think Bath can be covered in a day- 2 hours for the Roman Baths and a further 1-2 hours of walking the main sights with a nice lunch at Fishworks in Green Street or dinner at the Moon and Sixpence.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:41 PM
WZeni

Thanks everyone for your advise. We are planning to stay at the Thistle Westminster in London for 6 days. Then we are looking into staying at the Cotswold House or Noel Arms Hotel in Chipping Camdom for three nights and 1 night in Bath at the Apsley House Hotel or Paradise Hotel. We are also looking for a good B & B to stay in for three nights in Kent. Any Suggestions ir comments would be welcome.

Thanks,
Wendy