Juliet Binoche...Chocolat

Mar 26th, 2001, 02:22 PM
Academy Award

Juliet Binoche...Chocolat

Well, Rex, I was very disappointed in how Juliet Binoche looked last night. I kept trying to find out why you are so enamored of this woman. What did you think?

Mar 26th, 2001, 02:23 PM
xxx

I think he would say

j'ai droolé...

Mar 26th, 2001, 03:07 PM
puzzled

I like her very much as an actress and I think she has a sweet look and charming way about her when not acting. I'm a woman, so I can't feel what Rex must be feeling. But since you raise the question of her looks at the ceremony: WHAT WERE THOSE WEIRD STRINGS WOUND AROUND HER?!!! She looked very uncomfortable, like she was wearing some bizarre old fashioned corset. Did anyone else notice that? I was surprised, because she usually looks so natural, not stiff.

Mar 26th, 2001, 03:11 PM
Lidija

I think they were strands of pearls weren't they? I think she was going for a kind of flapper look? Usually she looks great on film but something was off with the look last night.

Mar 26th, 2001, 03:18 PM
xxx

......we now return to our regularly scheduled travel forum (which relates to travel matters).............

Mar 26th, 2001, 03:19 PM
puzzled

Maybe they were pearls but they were kind of tied around her in a strangling way that just looked unnatural and uncomfortable. I think the look was off because I really believe she was wearing some horrible corset. Her shape looked painfully cinched like pictures I've seen of Victorian ladies and she looked physically in distress which would make sense if she really was wearing such a contraption. I'm curious if anyone else also thinks that was the problem.

Mar 26th, 2001, 03:24 PM
xxx

she was sending a very special message just to me...

it was:

"Fermez les yeux. Rêvez. N'imaginez rien que les perles..."

Mar 26th, 2001, 03:43 PM
Acad...

I thought she looked wierd as well. It was "flapper" kind of look, I think. And, yes, I think those were pearls.
Hmmm...the taste of some people...

Mar 26th, 2001, 06:42 PM
BadGirl

I think she deliberately dressed this way to through Rex off her scent.

Mar 26th, 2001, 06:46 PM
spelling

To "through" Rex off her scent? He's probably already "through" her scent as it is. Ad I'm threw with both of them.

Mar 26th, 2001, 07:08 PM
StCirq

I was surprised. I thought she looked "stifled," something I had ever before associated with Juliette. Must've been smoe Hollywood designer's idea.

Mar 26th, 2001, 07:14 PM
Patrick

I thought her look was pretty clear. Didn't she come from Mardi Gras where she went as a flapper and got caught in one of those bead throwing parades? Her Toni home perm seemed a little harsh also. But isn't she a splendid actress? And on a kinder note, has Julia ever looked better?

Mar 26th, 2001, 07:23 PM
Caitlin

Julia looked god, although honestly, I wasn't crazy about her dress. But it was refreshing to see someone so honestly excited and, frankly, blown away about being up there--especially a star of that magnitude. BTW, I don't know about the corset, but I heard Juliette Binoche tell some reporter that the pearls were all her own idea.

Mar 26th, 2001, 08:19 PM
deepa

Yeah, Binoche could have looked better but Bjork! Now, that was scary.

Mar 26th, 2001, 10:13 PM
Jon

Patrick, I usually enjoy your informative posts, but this time you dropped the ball. Comparing Julia Roberts to Juliet Binoche (whether acting abilities or beauty) is like comparing hot dogs to foie gras.
Juliet looked and acted like a lady; radiating elegance at every turn. Julia looked like she was playing dress-up with a bottomless pocketbook. Did you hear the post award interviews? She is a textbook dingbat. I'm outraged that she won; even more outraged that she is today's highest paid "actress." Of course, the public that gave her this title is the same group that keeps Eminem on the music charts and Temptation Island on TV.

Mar 27th, 2001, 04:02 AM
xwe

I am new to this board and have a hard time to figure out why is this question posted and answered so many times here on this board? What is a relation with travel?

Mar 27th, 2001, 05:52 AM

xwe -- sometimes we get off the topics. Simple as that.

Yeah, no comparison between Julia and Juliet. Binoche is a beautiful, classy woman. Roberts bears strong resemblance to a horse -- big choppers stringy mane and that nose. Enough, I say!

Mar 27th, 2001, 07:32 AM
Academy Award

Sorry I misspelled Juliette Binoche the first time around.

St Cirq, I took a little (mind you, I said "little") offense that you immediately blamed a Hollywood designer as the creator of her gown. Wouldn't it be more logical to think that a FRENCH designer created it?

I don't want a fight, I love French designers. I, personally, liked Julia Roberts gown, (vintage French, wasn't it?). She just needs to learn how to wear dresses like that a bit more gracefully. And, I think she is a fine actress.

All said humbly and in fun!

Mar 27th, 2001, 07:45 AM
xxx

I think Juliette'S dress was by Jean Paul Gauthier

Mar 27th, 2001, 07:56 AM
Razz

If this is going to turn into a "Bash Julia Roberts" session, count me in.

Anyone who would make "Pretty Woman" and that dreadful "Sleeping With The Enemy" movie ought to suffer a lifetime Oscar ban. To give Julia Roberts an Oscar so that she is in the same league as Meryl Streep is a crime. Plain and simple.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO