Notices

Jogging in Florence & Venice

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 06:40 PM
Bea

Jogging in Florence & Venice

I appreciated the messages regarding jogging in Rome. How about Florence & Venice? We are staying near the Duomo in Florence. I realize jogging in Venice may be a real stretch. thanks for any advice!

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 10:44 PM
Melissa

I didn't get to jog in Florence, but in Venice I caught the bus to a stop near St. Mark's, and jogged clear across to the residential area and back. If there's a better place to run there, I would love to hear about it!

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 08:55 AM
Judy

Bea,
I've read that a wonderful place to jog in Venice is on the Zattere along the Giudecca edge of the Dorsoduro sestiere.

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 09:20 AM
hamlet

Here's a don't do. One of my former gym trainers said she was doing laps one early morning in Piazza S. Marco and a police officer stopped her and said she had to go. He said her running attire was not acceptable for continually running past the basilica.

In Florence I think it would be great just to run along the Arno, then cross over one of the bridges and run the other side.

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 09:33 AM
Thyra

I sish I could remember the exact name of where I jogged in Venice, but I just went to the Gondola docks in St. Marks square, faced the water and took off running to the left. Great run... very early in the AM when the waterfront was not so crowded. You do get to go UP some steps and down some steps but eventually you get to a more residential part of the city where there is a park and a..."lighthouse" I think? Does that ring a bell with anyone? I jogged about 45 minutes as the sun came up....heaven.

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 10:34 PM
Melissa

Thyra, that's the run *I* did! Well, not at dawn, though. That's a good idea--beat the crowd.

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 01:24 AM
christina

ciao bea

joggin in florence is easy: from the duomo you go toward the arno river, follow the river down for ca. 5 - 10 minutes, allways on the right side. then you will come to Cascine, our big public park (it will not be on a normal city-tourist-map) and there you can jogg for how long you want, if it's a sunday morning you will do it together with a lot of italians. it's perfect even for people who want to "chill" out from the tourists here in florence, there are benches and a lots of green. just avoid the Cascine after lets say 6.00 p.m. because it's even the place where you can find everything what you maybe don't want ;-)

tanti saluti

christina

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 01:59 AM
Zoe

Hi Bea
Rent a copy of Woody Allen's musical comedy "Everyone Says I Love You". There is a hilarious scene in which Woody's character jogs breathlessly and sweatily around the calles of Venice in pursuit of Julia Roberts, who, needless to say, is considerably fitter!
Zoe