Reload this Page >

Jogging in Europe

Search

Jogging in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 06:27 AM
Cindy

Jogging in Europe

I will be travelling to Amsterdam, Brussels and Paris in mid-September and would like to continue my exercise routine while on vacation. Do Europeans go out for morning jogs? Is it safe for Americans to do so in these cities? Will the temperatures be mild enough for physical activities outdoors?

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 06:38 AM
Sjoerd

Yes, some Europeans also go out for morning jogs. Yes, it is safe for Americans to jog in these cities. Temperatures should be between 10 C and 20 C in mid-September, so ideal for jogging. <BR>In Amsterdam go to Vondelpark, Amsterdamse Bos or any of the other large parks to jog. Watch out for bicycles!

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 06:43 AM
Watchout

Definitely beware of bicycles in Amsterdam. I believe it's the pedestrian's responsibility to keep out of their way.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 10:44 AM
BTilke

Yes, plenty of Europeans jog. However, make sure your running shoes are suitable for the hard surfaces of cobblestone streets, etc. In Brussels, the best, safest place to jog would be in the Stokkel (Stockel) area at the end of the metro 1 line. It's an upscale residential neighborhood, lot of Brits living there, and when out there, I regularly see joggers (the Hash House Harriers do runs out there). <BR>In Paris, you will see joggers in the Luxembourg Gardens during the morning hours--the paths there are a little easier on the feet. <BR>BTilke (Brussels)

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 10:54 AM
Thyra

I always jog in Europe, and am never alone.. The Luxembourg Gardens have quite a few joggers. I've jogged all over Europe and the UK. Never after dark in an unfamiliar city of course, usually what I do is when we arrive in a city, I keep a look out for other women joggers... to see if there is a park or something, also hotel desk clerks usually can suggest a trail or park. <BR>Rule of thumb, make sure you are in broad daylight, and that other people are jogging as well,( I find sea front or some canal front promenades also excellent places to jog) <BR>If the place looks too deserted, or you get a weird feeling don't do it. <BR>But I've so far jogged in nearly every European city, and really enjoyed it.September should be great jogging weather, however you may want to bring rain gear.