Reload this Page >

Meeting Husband in Athens !!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 1999, 10:00 AM
julie

My husband is in Yugoslavia on a year contract with the UN ! We are meeting in Athens 11/27/99. I haven't a clue as where to stay! We need peace and quiet! <BR>We want to tour some of Athens and the islands but not sure about where to stay during this time of the year. The Astir Palace sounds wonderful but pricey. Is Glyfada a noisy area due to the airport. Any suggestions would be great. If we stay in Athens, what about the Keffalari Suites? <BR>

Old Oct 12th, 1999, 01:54 PM
lisa

Julie: I didn't care for Athens much at all and would minimize my time there and head to the islands as soon as possible if I were you. One day for the Acropolis, etc. and then off. Try to stay in the Plaka if you can; I thought it was the only really charming part of the city. Athens is a really huge, sprawling, polluted city and if you need "peace and quiet" as you say, Athens is not the place. The islands are fab, however -- and so much less expensive than Athens! And the people are nicer, the food is better, the scenery is gorgeous, etc. You may want to also try posting this question on the special hosted forum going on now on the "Greek Islands" with Lea Lane -- in fact, I think someone else may already have asked a question about where to stay in Athens before or after a trip to the islands, so do a search. She's very helpful so ask away!

Old Oct 12th, 1999, 02:16 PM
Gino

Couldn't agree more with Lisa's advice.

Old Oct 13th, 1999, 06:22 AM
AJ

I, for one, love Athens, although I am well aware of the sprawl, the dirt, the glare. Anyway, we stay at a modest hotel near the government center - The Amalia (Amalie). There is a lovely large park across the street. Ask for a room overlooking the gov center and you can actually see the changing of the guard. <BR> <BR>I would strongly recommend you visit Delphi. There are one day trips there. Depending on how much time you have, you might also consider taking a ferry to some of the close-by islands, such as Poros, Spetsis, Hydra (A+), Aegina. Sailing is of course even better. Call Greek Private Sailing Club (GPSC) and see if you can charter a yacht to see the islands or sail down the coast to Monemvassia. Sometimes, they have wonderful last minute deals for yachts that are available, and you can hire a captain too.

Old Oct 13th, 1999, 09:08 AM
Paulo

Last summer we stayed 3 nights in Athens (2 on arrival - we arrived late afternoon - and 1 before departure). IMO, the "must" see sites in Athens are the Archeological Museum, the Acropolis and the Agora (in that order) and I agree that Plaka is the place to be in the late afternoons and evenings, though not even close of being a place of peace and quiet. <BR> <BR>I don't see much sense in looking for a "peace and quiet" place to stay in Athens. Just minimize your stay there and choose a place that's convenient for what Athens has to offer. <BR> <BR>We also used the Amalia and were very satisfied, even though it's a tour groups choice hotel. It's very confortable, relatively cheap ($ 80 in high season, should be less in November) and very conveniently located (small stroll to Plaka/Monastiriki/Agora/Sintagma, medium stroll or short taxi drive to the Acropolis, 15 min taxi drive to the Museum). <BR> <BR>As an alternative to the islands or a cruise down the Peloponnese coast to Momemvasia , you may consider Nauplion, specially if you don't mind renting a car and do the driving yourself. Using Nauplion as a base (you'll find it peaceful and quiet in November) you may visit Micenae, Epidaurus and Mistra, among other (Corinth, Argos, etc). If you have 5 days to spare, you may drive to Delphi, planning to go on to Nauplion via the Rio-Antirio crossing. On your way to Delphi you may stop shortly at the Daphne Monastery. Close to Delphi you may spend time in pleasant Arakhova and a visit to the very nice Osios Loukas Monastery (considered to be one of the major sites in Greece) should also be considered. From Delphi to Nauplion one may stop at Olympia. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 20th, 1999, 02:01 AM
Nellie

I agree on staying at the Plaka area for convenience. Another nice area is the Kolonaki district(a very nice htl there is the St George Lycabettus). Glyfada is in the burbs. Its not noicy but more of staying in an airport htl. An example is like Burlingame in San Francisco, or Tacoma in Seattle.

Old Nov 20th, 1999, 07:09 AM
Al

In my opinion, the recent riots in Athens during Pres. Clinton's state visit do not reflect the attitudes of the majority of the Greek people. Individuals in a mob will do things that individuals alone would never do. The media -- particularly TV -- feed on violence and bloodshed. We have traveled all over Greece and have never been treated with anything but the warmest kindness and genuine helpfulness. A mob of troublemakers out to make a political point are NOT the majority of Greeks we have known. My personal experiences on Greek soil go back almost 50 years and lead up to the present day.