Search

JFK to LHR

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 06:40 AM
Gerry K

JFK to LHR

Can someone recommend a less-known site for finding good fares from NYC to London, other than Travelocity or Expedia?<BR><BR>Many thanks,<BR><BR>Gerry K

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 06:41 AM
Gerry K

Actually, it needn't be JFK. EWR or LGA would be fine.<BR><BR>Gerry K

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Mike

Gerry, try Priceline.com. We got a great price from EWR to Shannon Ireland on Continental May a couple of years ago. Also, take a look at skyauction.com. Be careful, though, and know your maximum bid plus the taxes & add-ons. We got a great price from skyauction to London last Feb, and booked a trip to Paris with them this Feb. Good Luck.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Leslie

Gerry, what are your departure and return dates? You might try Orbitz to get a feel for what the airlines are charging, and then check some of the airline sites to see if there is any better pricing. I just saw pricing for $275 RT plus tax on Virgin, but I didn't check the dates.<BR><BR>Airfare from Boston RT to London in November is in the $450+ range, plus tax. I bid on Priceline, and was able to get a fare for $279 including tax departing the day before Thanksgiving, and returning the Sunday after Thanksgiving, but I have to fly on Air Canada via Toronto. The only drawback is that I won't receive any frequent flyer points.<BR><BR>In order to use Priceline effectively, you'll need to know what the current airfares are, and then formulate your bid accordingly, while taking into account that you may not get a non-stop flight. Also, before you bid, check out Hotwire, as Hotwire frequently has fares that are less than what appear on Orbitz. Then you can base your bid on what Hotwire is offering. If you want some help, feel free to email me.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 04:42 PM
Mel P

BTW, if you do bid Priceline I would not include LGA as an option unless you really don't mind making a connection, since of course there are no non-stop flights to London (or anywhere else in Europe) from there. Still the possiblility of getting a flight with a connection from JFK or EWR (or connection on the Europe side) but you eliminate a lot of that chance by eliminating LGA.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 04:52 PM
xxx

Not to add confusion to the matter, but if you DO add LGA to the mix, wouldn't that make LGA a free rebid since international flights don't depart from there? I don't think it makes any difference, because if you do bid through Priceline, you do agree to making one connection.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 05:53 PM
Gerry K

Great help, Folks. Many thanks.<BR><BR>Gerry K<BR><BR>PS: any additional suggestions would be appreciated.

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 06:43 AM
Sarah

Hi Gerry.<BR><BR>Here is the deal. These travel sights all have different agreements on different years. I have found that with the birth of Orbitz which is airline owned many deals have gone out the window. Orbitz.com is my first stop these days. Priceline did offer great fares a couple of years ago. I flew round trip from Newark to Hawaii for $484 during high season in 00. I could not find that deal from price line for the next two years paying 820 and 1050. <BR><BR>Cheap tickets use to be good but they sold out to someone and now they stink. <BR><BR>Still you always want to make the run around on these sites see if any switches in partnerships have changed in order to allow new deals. If you do find something on Orbitz.com or any third party make sure that the airline is not offering the deal directly. Just easier if there are cancellation problems, ticket fees to deal directly with the airline. <BR><BR>www.trip1.com<BR>www.orbitz.com<BR>www.biddingfortravel.com to see what bids are being won<BR>www.hotwire.com to see if a bid would be accepted.<BR><BR>Traditional deals for start end of September. Heard on the news that they are starting now. Don't know if this was a promo arranged for airlines or true. I am finding deals for November to Italy and Spain.<BR><BR>Good luck

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 10:09 AM
Mel P

xxx, it's not a free rebid because you could get routed on Air Canada via Toronto (there are Canadian flights from LGA) or US Air via another city, seen those come up quite a bit. Now one could still get an itinerary with a connection via JFK or EWR but at least you cut the connection possibilities by eliminating LGA from the mix.